You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-02 21:14:08

snufkin

[SOLVED] Hardware acceleration on Firefox - is it possible?

I've been searching the interwebs somewhat but can't find a definitive answer to my question: Is it possible to enable Firefox's hardware acceleration feature in a Linux environment?

$ pacman -Qi firefox
Name            : firefox
Version         : 15.0-1

$ pacman -Qi xf86-video-ati
Name            : xf86-video-ati
Version         : 1:6.14.6-1

about:support shows me the following, so I know at least that Firefox is able to detect my hardware.

Graphics

Adapter Description
        X.Org -- Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV770

Vendor ID
        X.Org

Device ID
        Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV770

Driver Version
        2.1 Mesa 8.0.4

WebGL Renderer
        X.Org -- Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV770 -- 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4

GPU Accelerated Windows

AzureBackend
        skia

I've of course enabled hardware acceleration in the preferences, and I even set layers.acceleration.force-enabled to true in about:config. When forced, "GPU Accelerated Windows" shows the correct number.

Edit:
And oh, I probably should mention this too. Forcing acceleration renders Firefox quite useless. Strange graphical phenomena everywhere.

Last edited by snufkin (2012-10-19 12:52:38)

#2 2012-09-03 01:58:16

luvfree

Re: [SOLVED] Hardware acceleration on Firefox - is it possible?

reading this post was educational for me. I had no idea these settings were possible.
I tried your settings on code.google.com and found my nvidia GeForce 6150 actually performed better without these set.
something I'll definitely be experimenting with.
I do know there is a setting for adobe flash to use acceleration.
open /etc/adobe/mms.config and uncomment or add this line.
EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1

Linux only since 2002! Arch Linux only since 2010!
UEFI booting an intel based system trouble free since 2016!

#3 2012-09-03 03:45:10

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

What is the point of this, if you don't mind me asking? When you visit a page, firefox renders most of it with cairo and cairo itself supports hardware acceleration.

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

#4 2012-09-03 12:45:54

luvfree

ConnorBehan wrote:

What is the point of this, if you don't mind me asking? When you visit a page, firefox renders most of it with cairo and cairo itself supports hardware acceleration.

this might be the answer to his question.
is cairo installed on all systems?

Linux only since 2002! Arch Linux only since 2010!
UEFI booting an intel based system trouble free since 2016!

#5 2012-09-03 13:01:00

kokoko3k

snufkin wrote:

Edit:
And oh, I probably should mention this too. Forcing acceleration renders Firefox quite useless. Strange graphical phenomena everywhere.

That's why accelerated compositing is not enabled by default and it answers your question too!

ConnorBehan wrote:

Since some versions Firefox uses skia, not cairo:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=702158

Maybe something like text is using cairo or cairo is a backend for skia?

Last edited by kokoko3k (2012-09-03 13:05:07)

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#6 2012-09-03 14:42:50

x33a
Forum Fellow

Take a look here to see if your card is blacklisted or not:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Blocklisting/B … cs_Drivers

#7 2012-09-03 21:29:20

bwat47

by default firefox does have some "content" acceleration using xrender, but opengl accelerated layers and opengl acceleration is not enabled by default yet, because its very buggy under linux. You can try running a nightly build and forcing opengl layers and see if its improved at all on those newer builds. opengl layers is finally starting to become usable on my intel card in nightly, they recently fixed a bug that caused flickering and artifacts smile

Also I've noticed chrome/chromium's opengl acceleration is in a pretty usable state (at least on my intel card, haven't tried ati) if you are open to trying those browsers.

Last edited by bwat47 (2012-09-03 21:30:51)

#8 2012-09-04 06:39:30

kokoko3k

Even so, GPU acceleration may lead to lower performance, depending on the cpu and gpu power.
In chromium and firefox i've faster scrolling when i use pure cpu power on a 9500GT vs E7500@2.93GHz.
The same happens with an integrated i945GM vs atom n270@1.6ghz.

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#9 2012-10-19 10:18:09

snufkin

Oh my. I had totally forgotten about this thread, sorry about that. Anyway, here's some replies:

ConnorBehan wrote:

True, though when rendering more intense scenes (1080p YouTube videos for example), it gets very laggy. Even worse than when using Flash player actually (CPU is Intel Q9550).

luvfree wrote:
ConnorBehan wrote:

this might be the answer to his question.
is cairo installed on all systems?

Yes, Cairo is installed.

x33a wrote:

Take a look here to see if your card is blacklisted or not:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Blocklisting/B … cs_Drivers

Card is not blocked, although I noticed that GL acceleration is disabled by default.

bwat47 wrote:

by default firefox does have some "content" acceleration using xrender, but opengl accelerated layers and opengl acceleration is not enabled by default yet, because its very buggy under linux. You can try running a nightly build and forcing opengl layers and see if its improved at all on those newer builds. opengl layers is finally starting to become usable on my intel card in nightly, they recently fixed a bug that caused flickering and artifacts smile

Also I've noticed chrome/chromium's opengl acceleration is in a pretty usable state (at least on my intel card, haven't tried ati) if you are open to trying those browsers.

I'll try a nightly and some other browsers and then return with some results. Thanks for the advice.

Update:
If I enable layers.acceleration.force-enabled on Firefox 16, and watch a HD HTML5 video on YouTube, it does NOT lag. However, enabling this also brings some strange graphical glitches (not as bad as the ones in version 15 though). When I use the nightly build, there are no more glitches (yay)! And the HD videos still doesn't lag. The fishbowl demo is still really laggy with a high fish count though, but then again I guess it doesn't matter to me.

So yeah, the solution is to use the nightly or wait for the next Firefox release.

Last edited by snufkin (2012-10-19 12:52:25)

Board footer