You are not logged in.

#351 2012-08-28 12:01:08

chickenPie4tea

Re: SpaceFM - A Customizable File Manager

When I try to delete a folder I am not allowed - I get a message that the folder isn't empty (it contains a subfolder) I dont get this with other file managers I should be able to delete folders that contain subfolders if I want.

I really like this file manager and its' what I am using now. The thing I find strange and hate is the dangerous default of deleting files without moving them to trash!! no other file manager I ever used does this - unless you want to set it that way. I already deleted an important file by accident - luckily I had a backup!!

You can like linux without becoming a fanatic!

#352 2012-08-28 18:55:12

zeltak

Rasi wrote:

I wonder if it is possible to have one toolbar only, which works for all panels, depending on focus.

Also, what exactly is the purpose of the side panel. It seems totally obsolete, since it doesnt provide any additional features to the normal panels.

i second both remarks smile the 2 side bars are really IMHO a waste of space since they are a mirror of one another (bookmarks). it would be great to just have the bookmark open the dir in the current focused dir

best

Z.

Last edited by zeltak (2012-08-28 18:56:05)

#353 2012-08-29 01:03:42

Paramvir
Website

There are 3 buttons - 1 for drives - 1 for bookmarks - 1 for directories - click on them and you can toggle the side bars you want to see.

So if the side bar is showing in other panels or views - you just need to toggle the side bar button on the panel you are viewing and it hides. Each panel has it's own independent side bar which can be toggled.

Side bar in my opinion is very functional and if you do not want it - you can hide it.

cheers

#354 2012-08-29 17:28:04

Rasi
Website

exactly.. which makes 2 clicks instead of one. (making it visible and click vs. simply click)

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#355 2012-08-29 21:33:16

zeltak

hya

quick question. i cant seem to find out how does one create a custom command to change to a specific dir in the current panel. i would like to assign for example a keycombo to change the current panel to dirX. also would be cool if we could use chaining keys to do it (IE maybe leader+key  : \+g)

thx

Z

#356 2012-08-31 16:43:04

anonymous_user

I don't know if this is a bug or intended but it seems that SpaceFM ignores the [Default Applications] section of ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list. It seems SpaceFM wants [Added Associations] only.

I would normally not mind this however I would have liked if SpaceFM could share the same associations as xdg-open.

#357 2012-09-02 20:28:16

IgnorantGuru
Website

zeltak wrote:
Rasi wrote:

I wonder if it is possible to have one toolbar only, which works for all panels, depending on focus.

Also, what exactly is the purpose of the side panel. It seems totally obsolete, since it doesnt provide any additional features to the normal panels.

i second both remarks smile the 2 side bars are really IMHO a waste of space since they are a mirror of one another (bookmarks). it would be great to just have the bookmark open the dir in the current focused dir

best

Z.

Answering both - one reason each panel (actually each tab) has its own independent side panes is that spacefm's design aims to make each panel a complete and independent browser, so you don't need to focus a panel before doing something in it, and the state of the side panes don't change as you move between panels and tabs.  IOW for most things (except keyboard shortcuts) you don't need to keep track of which panel is in use.  Also, each tab actually has independent side panes, so for example if you scroll to a particular position in the Tree of tab 1, change to tab 2, then change back, the tab 1 Tree hasn't scrolled or changed.

Second, custom commands can access the context of not only the current panel, but other panels as well.  For example, you might make a command that copies the entire volume selected in the Devices pane of panel 1, to the volume selected in the Devices pane of panel 2.  This kind of panel integration isn't possible if panels share side panes.

There have been requests for global toolbars, side panes, etc that would act on the current panel.  This isn't a trivial change due to the fact that spacefm was designed differently, but it is being considered.  If it happens it would probably be if/when the UI undergoes a significant rewrite, etc.  You can track this request and add further comments here.  Thanks for your feedback.

#358 2012-09-02 20:31:39

IgnorantGuru
Website

chickenPie4tea wrote:

When I try to delete a folder I am not allowed - I get a message that the folder isn't empty (it contains a subfolder) I dont get this with other file managers I should be able to delete folders that contain subfolders if I want.

Deleting a folder will delete subfolders.  If you're getting a not empty message, it's probably because the current user doesn't have permission to delete one of the files in the subfolder.  If you have any further questions about this please provide the exact and complete errors you're receiving.

I really like this file manager and its' what I am using now. The thing I find strange and hate is the dangerous default of deleting files without moving them to trash!! no other file manager I ever used does this - unless you want to set it that way. I already deleted an important file by accident - luckily I had a backup!!

SpaceFM doesn't have trash support built-in, but there are several trash plugins now available.

#359 2012-09-02 20:35:41

IgnorantGuru
Website

zeltak wrote:

hya

quick question. i cant seem to find out how does one create a custom command to change to a specific dir in the current panel. i would like to assign for example a keycombo to change the current panel to dirX. also would be cool if we could use chaining keys to do it (IE maybe leader+key  : \+g)

thx

Z

Hi, to have the current tab change to a different directory, have your custom command run:

spacefm -r DIR

or, to have a new tab open in the current panel:

spacefm DIR

For more control see spacefm --help.

#360 2012-09-02 20:47:26

IgnorantGuru
Website

anonymous_user wrote:

I don't know if this is a bug or intended but it seems that SpaceFM ignores the [Default Applications] section of ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list. It seems SpaceFM wants [Added Associations] only.

I would normally not mind this however I would have liked if SpaceFM could share the same associations as xdg-open.

SpaceFM was recently updated to follow the freedesktop spec for this.  Specifically, [Default Applications] is not a valid entry in mimeapps.list, so programs that use it are outside of spec, including xdg-open (which is apparently not well maintained - it may still be using the older defaults.list).  I've had some other reports of this and other fm's using variations on the spec, but afaik this is incorrect.  I suggest waiting until these other programs are brought up to spec, or the spec is changed/finalized.  If you find SpaceFM not behaving according to spec, please report it.  But if other programs are using invalid entries, you should notify them.  It's regretful that there's such a non-standard mess in use at this point, but I'm not going to support variations on the spec unless those variations are at least well-defined and established.  In many cases it looks like fm authors have simply renamed "defaults.list" to "mimeapps.list" in their code, but this is not sufficient.

There is also an Arch Wiki entry on this subject.

For exactly how SpaceFM handles this spec, see the User's Manual - MIME section.

#361 2012-09-02 21:12:34

IgnorantGuru
Website

SpaceFM's next branch (spacefm-git) now includes the new SpaceFM Dialog.  It can replace zenity and other similar dialog apps, and do quite a bit more.  It allows you to easily use much of the power of GTK from a script, building dialogs (even mini-apps) with many widgets and other elements.  It also outputs the data you need as bash source (which you can directly eval or if using another scripting language, parse easily). You may want to wait a few days until I add a section to the user's manual with complete documentation and examples, but you can get started now with:

spacefm --dialog help

This is all new code which has been stabilized, but can use some thorough testing before release.  If you have feedback on the interface, now is a good time to submit it before the cement hardens, so to speak.  If you have pre-release issues on this to report, please add them here.  Thanks for testing.

#362 2012-09-02 21:14:57

anonymous_user

IgnorantGuru wrote:

Specifically, [Default Applications] is not a valid entry in mimeapps.list, so programs that use it are outside of spec, including xdg-open

I was not aware of this. Stupid xdg-open!

#363 2012-09-02 21:48:59

anonymous_user

Hey IgnorantGuru, two questions about the new dialog box:

1. How do I center the dialog box on the screen?

2. How do I make text bold? I don't want to specify a font or size, just use whatever is the user default but make it bold.

Last edited by anonymous_user (2012-09-02 21:49:17)

#364 2012-09-02 22:15:56

IgnorantGuru
Website

anonymous_user wrote:

Hey IgnorantGuru, two questions about the new dialog box:

1. How do I center the dialog box on the screen?

It is centered for me (GTK dialogs usually auto-center).  This is controlled by your wm but I'll set some hints.

2. How do I make text bold? I don't want to specify a font or size, just use whatever is the user default but make it bold.

In some elements such as labels, you can use pango markup by prefixing your text with a tilde.  For example:

spacefm -g --label "~This is plain.  <b>This is bold.</b>" --button ok

Edit:
Also the help doesn't show this yet, but in internal COMMANDs, %n = name of the current element and %v = value of the current element.  %NAME is the value of element NAME (eg %input1).

For example:

spacefm -g --label "Enter some text and press Enter:" \
           --input "" set label2 %v \
           --label \
           --button ok

Another example:

spacefm -g --window-size 800x600 \
           --label "Choose a small image file and click Load:" \
           --chooser . set image1 %v \
           --image \
           --button Load set image1 %chooser1 \
           --button close

(doesn't currently resize images)

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-09-03 00:23:16)

#365 2012-09-03 14:30:48

IgnorantGuru
Website

Some changes to spacefm-git this morning for those testing:

* The dialog now sets a GTK_WIN_POS_CENTER_ALWAYS hint, which hopefully will correct the issue of the dialog not being centered for some.  Otherwise examine how you're running it and how your wm may be handling it.

* arguments to external commands are now passed to the executable verbatim (plus substitutions)

* some escape sequences in LABEL are now unescaped, eg:  --label "Line1\nLine2"

* -g help has been updated with substitutions, escape sequences, etc

#366 2012-09-03 16:28:06

anonymous_user

IgnorantGuru wrote:

* The dialog now sets a GTK_WIN_POS_CENTER_ALWAYS hint, which hopefully will correct the issue of the dialog not being centered for some.  Otherwise examine how you're running it and how your wm may be handling it.

Thanks it works now.

#367 2012-09-03 18:10:51

IgnorantGuru
Website

anonymous_user wrote:
IgnorantGuru wrote:

Thanks it works now.

Thanks for the followup.

Also, I just pushed the start of the User's Manual Dialog section, which will be growing over the next few days.  You can get the latest copy by reinstalling spacefm-git, then press F1 in SpaceFM to open your local copy of the manual.

#368 2012-09-05 20:56:01

sbfreak

First of all let me tell you spacefm is awesome.I've been using it since I migrated to i3 and started having problems with thunar.
I'm trying to do the following.
http://www.chromium.org/developers/how- … with-flags
In thunar I'd just go to /usr/share/applications, right click,properties and paste --remote-debugging-port=9222 at the end of the target line.
I am not able to find anything similar in spacefm.

#369 2012-09-05 21:48:00

anonymous_user

Does directly editing the chromium .desktop file not work? You can open it with any text editor.

#370 2012-09-05 22:00:08

sbfreak

anonymous_user wrote:

Does directly editing the chromium .desktop file not work? You can open it with any text editor.

Wow I didn't think of that.Thank you very much.

#371 2012-09-05 22:19:05

IgnorantGuru
Website

anonymous_user wrote:

I don't use chromium but that would be my suggestion.  In spacefm if you right-click on a file associated with chromium (maybe an html file), then go into the Open menu and right-click on Chromium, you can select "chromium.desktop (copy)" which will create a /home copy for you to edit.  That way the changes won't be lost when chromium is updated (which they probably will be if you edit in /usr/share.

#372 2012-09-08 16:20:58

n23orsk

I have a one question, sorry if it's already answered. Are you planning to make spacefm understand gtk bookmarks instead of its own format?
P.S. I am surprised that there is no ArchWiki article yet. SpaceFM should be a post-factum file manager for Arch Linux!

#373 2012-09-08 18:21:05

anonymous_user

#374 2012-09-08 20:50:35

n23orsk

Thanks for reply

#375 2012-09-09 09:20:44

xorgx3

When I mounted CD/DVD in pcmanfm i was able eject it by command

eject -r /dev/sr0

without unmounting.
Now I am using spacefm and this command not working before I unmounting device manually.

Is any possibility to change this?

Last edited by xorgx3 (2012-09-09 09:21:12)

Board footer