You are not logged in.

#26 2012-09-03 20:38:49

blackout23

Re: initramfs - compressed vs. uncompressed

I don't use /boot and swap either could even be faster since fsck has to be called only once and only one partition has to be mounted.
Do you have wlan? Since it's my desktop PC network manager only has to bring up eth0. Hope wayland is faster in switching from console
to graphical desktop than xorg. Biggest bottleneck at the moment for linux boot.

Last edited by blackout23 (2012-09-03 20:39:16)

#27 2012-09-03 20:49:59

WonderWoofy

That is assuming you are calling fsck for your other partitions (I don't know why you wouldn't)... also, on my last boot var.mount 10ms, home.mount 13ms, and boot.mount 15ms... doesn't seem like a whole lot since it is all being done in parallel.  I don't think it is typical to set your swap to be checked on boot... `

#28 2012-09-03 20:54:10

zacariaz

That's all well and good, but I've got greater issues now. big_smile
Throwing away wicd saved me between 500 and 600ms, but apparently the dhcpcd@eth0.service isn't very reliable. I've only tried a limited number of reboots, but about 50% of the times something goes wrong and I have to start the service manually.

Can anyone explain that? wink

I am a philosopher, of sorts, not a troll or an imbecile.
My apologies that this is not always obvious, despite my best efforts.

#29 2012-09-03 22:00:59

WonderWoofy

Yeah, I am not sure why you were using wicd for an ethernet connection.  Why don't you try using the net-auto-wired or netcfg in general?  The beauty of netcfg is that it is really just the manual tools used in a simple shell script.

#30 2012-09-03 22:07:37

zacariaz

WonderWoofy wrote:

Yeah, I am not sure why you were using wicd for an ethernet connection.  Why don't you try using the net-auto-wired or netcfg in general?  The beauty of netcfg is that it is really just the manual tools used in a simple shell script.

Well I do have wireless. I rarely use it as I don't have access at home, but still. wink

Also, who needs netcfg? I've been reading a bit and it's really not that hard connecting manually.

Of course if, as you say, netcfg is just a script itulizing those same tools, then it's hard to resist. wink

For now thought I'd really just like dhcpcd to work properly, but I'm apparently not the only one with this problem, so I assume someone is working on it.

#31 2012-09-03 22:18:47

zacariaz

net-auto-wired don't seem to work at all I'm afraid. Why I haven't got a clue.

#32 2012-09-04 03:07:48

WonderWoofy

Yeah, I do know how to connect manually, and it is definitely a good thing to understand.  But just for the sheer convenience, netcfg is really nice.  I mean, I assume I use it for similar reasons as your use of wicd.  I figure I could write a script for myself, but by using netcfg, I am using a script written by someone else, but the project is active so therefore it is also being debugged for me.  So hopefully it will get that net-auto-wired issue worked out. 

Did you also try simply configuring the "ethernet-dhcp" file for netcfg and then manually running netcfg to connect to it (ie #netcfg ethernet-dhcp)?  Because if that works, then presumably, instead of using net-auto-wired, you could just use the netcfg service and setit up to only try that one connection.

#33 2012-09-04 13:12:33

zacariaz

WonderWoofy wrote:

Yeah, I do know how to connect manually, and it is definitely a good thing to understand.  But just for the sheer convenience, netcfg is really nice.  I mean, I assume I use it for similar reasons as your use of wicd.  I figure I could write a script for myself, but by using netcfg, I am using a script written by someone else, but the project is active so therefore it is also being debugged for me.  So hopefully it will get that net-auto-wired issue worked out. 

Did you also try simply configuring the "ethernet-dhcp" file for netcfg and then manually running netcfg to connect to it (ie #netcfg ethernet-dhcp)?  Because if that works, then presumably, instead of using net-auto-wired, you could just use the netcfg service and setit up to only try that one connection.

I will probably try out netcfg at some point, but for I really don't need it, that is unless it can solve my problem with dhcpcd, but that seems doubtful if netcfg is nothing more than a bunch of scripts

Board footer