You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-30 20:19:35

DarksideEE7

dmraid error on initramfs: no block devices found

After updating a system running dmraid mkinitcpio fails to create an image with the following:

==> ERROR: binary dependency `libudev.so.1' not found for `dmraid'
[2012-08-30 14:07] ==> ERROR: binary dependency `libudev.so.1' not found for `dmsetup'
[2012-08-30 14:07] ==> ERROR: binary dependency `libudev.so.1' not found for `dmsetup'

I foolishly rebooted without checking pacman.log, so I am unable to boot because my root partition is on the fakeraid.  I get an error like:

dmraid:  error while loading shared libraries:  libudev.so.1:  cannot open shared object file:  No such file or directory
unable to find root device '/dev/mapper/sil_bgbgdjaddicbp1'

I've created a liveusb with the latest media and mounted my dmraid partitions, so I need to resolve this dependency and rebuild the image.  I checked and libudev.so.1 is present in my dmraid root partition's filesystem, so any ideas why it's failing?  I know udev and systemd merged, so that probably has something to do with it.

Also my HOOKS array in mkinitcpio.conf is:

HOOKS="base autodetect pata scsi sata dmraid filesystems"

and MODULES is

MODULES="dm_mod"

Last edited by DarksideEE7 (2012-08-31 14:44:22)

#2 2012-08-30 22:50:46

DarksideEE7

Re: dmraid error on initramfs: no block devices found

I was able to successfully rebuild the image by chrooting, reinstalling the kernel using:

sudo pacman -S linux

I still can't get past initramfs.....it fails to find my root partition, saying no block devices found.  Trying to manually check dmraid devices:

dmraid -ay
no block devices found

I even tried adding sleep to my HOOKS in mkinitcpio.conf and rebuilding...still happens.

#3 2012-08-31 14:47:24

DarksideEE7

Edited the thread title to reflect the current problem.  I still crash to a rescue prompt in the initramfs when dmraid -ay fails with 'no block devices found'..  Manually running it returns the same.  I don't know what to do at this point...I haven't changed any system settings that could cause this.  I changed dmraid rc.conf setting from 'no' to 'yes':

USEDMRAID="yes"

but that shouldn't really matter since it hasn't even parsed that file at this point, correct?  Either way it didn't fix the problem.

#4 2012-09-02 00:59:23

DarksideEE7

Well I wasn't able to spend much more time on this so I decided to go with an LVM-RAID0 setup with mdadm instead.  This system has been running for 2 years on an increasingly dated configuration with GRUB legacy so I guess it's time to move on.

#5 2012-09-04 18:30:13

redplug

I have exactly the same Problem. Do you use an ext4 device?

#6 2012-09-04 18:33:52

DarksideEE7

redplug wrote:

I have exactly the same Problem. Do you use an ext4 device?

Yes, my setup was:
boot ext2 /dev/sdd1
root ext4 dm-0
home ext4 dm-1
var  reiserfs /dev/sdd4

Now I just reinstalled, setup two mdadm RAID0 arrays, created a logical volume group with LVM, paritioned root and home on these arrays, then kept the rest the same as my previous config.  I really didn't feel like figuring out the problem (if it even could have been fixed).  Also dmraid is apparently not being developed anymore.  I was also on GRUB legacy still, which needed to go.  Lastly systemd isn't going to play nicely (or at all) with dmraid.

My advice would be to migrate your existing setup to the newer, better supported packages.  It's actually a much more elegant solution for software RAID.  A good guide to do this is:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/So … ID_and_LVM

Last edited by DarksideEE7 (2012-09-04 18:37:23)

Board footer