You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-24 22:35:56

Gullible Jones

Totem Mozilla plugin fails to work

The Mozilla plugin for Totem (GStreamer version) from the Testing repo is not functional. An embedded movie shows as a featureless black space, and stays that way; there's no error message, the movie just won't play. Also, the plugin's right-click menu is not accessible.

#2 2005-09-30 00:03:35

jesus franco

Re: Totem Mozilla plugin fails to work

Same here. But it happens in Ubuntu breezy and fedora core 4 (with nRpms) so I'm not surprised. I guess it's a totem issue with firefox, but then again, it doesnt work under ephiphany (sp?) either.  :cry:

#3 2005-09-30 07:38:47

JGC
Developer

I think I should tighten up the gst-plugins dependencies a bit in totem, mainly because you need gst-ffmpeg to play any videofile with it.

The plugin is a bit broken, it hardly ever works. The only thing that is supported for sure is OGG Theora movies, since that is the only thing Fluendo is interested in.

The xine version of the plugin isn't much better either: Xine doesn't seem to support streaming from HTTP URLs, rendering it useless as a browser plugin.

#4 2005-09-30 08:46:41

Gullible Jones

Now that is really stupid. Why the heck would anyone want to make a browser plugin that can't handle the most common media formats? Useless!

In my experience though, it works well enough with totem-xine... Or did until recently - at some point, the plugin stopped working with that too, and played *nothing*.

(BTW, what's this about Xine being unable to handle streaming from http URLs? I'm pretty sure I've done that several times with totem-xine and/or gxine.)

Board footer