You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-05 13:40:00

masteryod

Append disclaimer/warning about using --force to news suggesting it

Hi, I've just read arch-dev-public mail about forthcoming fontconfig update and it reminded me how many people use --force switch recklessly. I think it would be nice addition to append pre-formated warning about --force switch. Something like that (someone with better english should re-write it):

Warning!
Never use --force switch unless your were told exactly how to do it in official archlinux.org news and/or you know exactly what you're doing
--force switch is not designed to be used on regular basis.--force switch is not intended to be used on whole system upgrade i.e.pacman -Syu.
In case of file conflicts or any other upgrade hiccups don't be hasty, search google.com and bbs.archlinux.org.
Being reckless about using --force switch can destroy your system along with your cat!

Hint: always pay attention to pacman's output during upgrades.

I like the sound of word "destroy" here wink

Last edited by masteryod (2012-09-05 13:42:19)

#2 2012-09-05 13:47:33

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Append disclaimer/warning about using --force to news suggesting it

Why ruin the fun?

#3 2012-09-05 13:52:51

ANOKNUSA

I know this sounds harsh and uncouth, but folks who can't stop for one second to consider the implications of the word "force" are in over their heads to begin with, and probably need to learn the lesson the hard way.  Every instance of the word "force" occurring in the English language (and presumably many more) has negative connotations.  Hell, "force" destroyed the most powerful war machine the galaxy had ever seen--what chance does your PC stand?

#4 2012-09-05 13:58:23

SS4

ANOKNUSA wrote:

I know this sounds harsh and uncouth, but folks who can't stop for one second to consider the implications of the word "force" are in over their heads to begin with, and probably need to learn the lesson the hard way.

I'll second that. We don't have warnings when using force with rm, mv et al.

Every instance of the word "force" occurring in the English language (and presumably many more) has negative connotations.  Hell, "force" destroyed the most powerful war machine the galaxy had ever seen--what chance does your PC stand?

[pedant] Newton's Second Law [/pedant] wink

edit: although the phonetics of the word does make it sound harsh.

Last edited by SS4 (2012-09-05 13:59:00)

Rauchen verboten

#5 2012-09-05 14:56:59

masteryod

Hmm maybe it is little to much of a babysitting. At least we have nice topic to refer in the future wink

#6 2012-09-05 16:04:47

stlarch

May the --force be with you.

Allan wrote:

Why ruin the fun?

[ Reacted for: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ial_Topics ]
Please don't post material that could inflame/offend...

I figured since it was going tgn anyway...wth.

Last edited by jasonwryan (2012-09-05 18:25:14)

#7 2012-09-05 17:08:26

dolby

-f, --force
           Bypass file conflict checks and overwrite conflicting files. If the package that is about to be installed contains files that are already installed, this option will cause all those files to be overwritten. This option should be used with care, ideally not at all.

isnt pacman(8) enough? you could also send patches if you think the above isnt much of a warning.

Last edited by dolby (2012-09-05 17:08:53)

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#8 2012-09-05 17:25:21

lifeafter2am

ANOKNUSA wrote:

Hell, "force" destroyed the most powerful war machine the galaxy had ever seen--what chance does your PC stand?

LOL!

Yeah, but I agree completely. If you don't know how to read the news on the front page, and read the documentation, then you are going to learn the hard way. wink

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

Board footer