You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-07 01:25:34

vheon

Need for advice: How manage DWM Patches?

Hi, I just started using DWM and I like it very much! But I still feel the needs to adjust it for my taste of course. First I sneak around your config on github or bitbucket to see how you manage the patches for DWM and I saw that basically most of you install DWM through ABS and modify the PKGBUILD file to patch DWM, so I did the same. But for the patches I'm not sure how to do it since, some patch move the code too much, so It's impossible to apply the patch as is. So you first patch the code with one patch and then apply the second one by hand and recreate the patch just for that case? I'd like to know how you work with DWM patches and how you modify DWM and create new feature patch.

I hope my english is not too bad and that what I wrote was not all nonsense.

#2 2012-09-07 01:32:37

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Need for advice: How manage DWM Patches?

vheon wrote:

So you first patch the code with one patch and then apply the second one by hand and recreate the patch just for that case

Such is the nature of patching dwm.

I recently moved to using mercurial queues and guards - this, combined with keeping the number of patches down*, is the most effective approach I have found.

For creating a new feature patch, diff against stable and send to the suckless ML.

* Once I gave up on pertag, I never looked back.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2012-09-07 02:36:49

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Yes. Less is more when patching dwm. Learn to live with basic dwm and only what you really need (for me it's bottom stack and attachaside) if you need more, find another WM; there are lots out there, one of them will do what you need.

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-09-07 02:37:09)

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#4 2012-09-07 07:48:35

jakobcreutzfeldt

jasonwryan wrote:

Interesting, why do you say that? pertag is the only patch I apply (so, alone I guess it doesn't cause any troubles)

#5 2012-09-07 07:53:26

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:

Interesting, why do you say that? pertag is the only patch I apply (so, alone I guess it doesn't cause any troubles)

It is one of those patches that does shuffle code around, so that any subsequently applied patches tend to need more fiddling to apply.

Also, and more to the point with regard to my reasons for abandoning it, it obscures the true beauty and power of dwm smile

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2012-09-07 12:09:36

jakobcreutzfeldt

jasonwryan wrote:

It is one of those patches that does shuffle code around, so that any subsequently applied patches tend to need more fiddling to apply.

Also, and more to the point with regard to my reasons for abandoning it, it obscures the true beauty and power of dwm smile

That makes sense. I guess the problem is that I have never found a reason yet to assign multiple tags to a window, so I haven't been thinking of dwm in the right way.

#7 2012-09-07 13:15:44

vheon

jasonwryan wrote:
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:

So apparently I misunderstand how really DWM work and right now I can't think of a situation wich require a window to have multiple tag...

Anyway when I saw the various approach to DWM like the patch queues I thought that was like: one patch for one feature and anyone can pick only the feature that one wants and removing one patch from the patch queues does not imply modification to the code, but if I have to create the patch based on the already patched code, that seems not the case hmm

#8 2012-09-26 21:33:16

karol
Archivist

vheon wrote:

I can't think of a situation wich require a window to have multiple tag...

I'm using (viewing) windows with tag 1: one terminal running vim, two others doing something else and mplayer playing some rather lengthy video content. The windows are tiled and the mplayer window is about 7" diagonal - enough to spot interesting stuff but not exactly comfortable for longer viewing: the interesting parts of the video, like certain numbers and figures are too small. That mplayer window is also assigned to tag 5 and it's the only window with tag 5 so I can easily Alt-Tab between tag 1 and 5 to get the video running on the whole screen.

#9 2012-09-26 21:51:57

aport

Check out quilt; it's intended to easily manage sets of incremental patches.

#10 2012-09-27 00:04:59

vheon

Thanks to all for the reply, but the patching queue the best for my taste and dwm maybe is too much less for my needs, so as suggested by 2ManyDogs perhaps I should look into something else...

Board footer