You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-21 20:44:50

woodstock

Been away for awhile, whats new?

Hello everyone.

I have been away from ArchLinux for quite some time now and am now finally free to take it up again.

I'm just curious as to what has changed. What sort of new things are going on with Pacman? Any problems? Anything at all.

I noticed that the AUR system is now up and running. Looks pretty good too, I'll be sure to check it out. Hmm, what else... OH! The wiki is now nicely organized. I like what I see.

Anyway, if you can think of anything to add please feel free to post a reply. As for me I'm going to start backing things up on my system so that I can do a fresh install of Arch.

Thanks for your time.

-- woodstock

#2 2005-09-21 21:02:27

LB06

Re: Been away for awhile, whats new?

I don't know for how long you've been away, but we've had project NPTL, and the devs are busy with project libtool-slay.

It also seems that the current and extra have become somewhat more conservative. For example, we still do not have kernel 2.6.13 or kde 3.4.2. I think this is due to the new repo testing.

#3 2005-09-21 21:04:40

Gullible Jones

It's because of libtool-slay and the transition to GCC 4.

#4 2005-09-21 21:31:09

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Also, the forum has new buttons (thanks to elasticdog) and Dibble has added new forum modules.
And the newsletter has new editing staff and new format.

#5 2005-09-21 21:34:23

tomk
Forum Fellow

Have you caught up on the newsletters? They should give you the main points, and they have been improved greatly of late thanks to the expanded TU team.

My personal highlight over the last while is the archck patchset from iphitus, taking over from the now-defunct cko as THE patchset of choice for those of us (all of us?) who feel the need for speed and other kernel-ish goodies.

Welcome back, by the way.

#6 2005-09-22 00:16:31

woodstock

Thank you everyone for the replies.

I have taken a look at all of the newsletters that I have missed since my departure. 

Thank you again for the replies. smile

-- woodstock

#7 2005-09-22 11:50:38

mmccaskill

It is my understanding that the 0.8 release will be GCC4 based. Anyone know the proposed release date?

#8 2005-09-22 12:13:18

oscar

mmccaskill wrote:

It is my understanding that the 0.8 release will be GCC4 based. Anyone know the proposed release date?

The devs will release it when it's done.
No need to stress it.

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#9 2005-09-22 14:00:14

mmccaskill

oscar wrote:
mmccaskill wrote:

The devs will release it when it's done.
No need to stress it.

I don't see how asking about it equates to being stressed about it but thanks for the response.

#10 2005-09-22 15:41:42

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I dont see how asking hurts either. I believe it is good for projects to have deadlines, something to shoot for. This "it gets done when it gets done" has always seemed like a copout to me. I dont mind a late delivery "oh. we shot for x date, but shit wasnt working. rather than ship shit, we are fixing it. rescheduled for Y date" than... "omgz0rs! you cant ask when something will be done! this is volunteer time!!! timelines and targets are t3h 3vi1.....roflcopter!!111oneone"

roll

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#11 2005-09-22 17:48:29

alexmat

I agree with cactus, but I'd be even more interested in a simple status update. All I know about 0.8 and the GCC and libtool slay projects is that they started about a month or so ago and packages have started going stale in current and extra ever since.

I've been looking at testing for a while and see that there is alot of activity in there so I assume a lot of progress is being made. I'm just curious how far the devs have come and what is still left to do. Maybe someone will throw us a bone? No rush  8)

#12 2005-09-22 19:30:08

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Well,  according to a post by  JCG (a dev) about  two weeks ago, the gcc4/libtool-less packages were supposed to be moved to current/extra sometimes last week (unless I mixed up the dates).  It hasn't been done yet.  I am not a dev so I'm not aware if a new issue popped up or of any plans the dev team has.

I also agree with cactus and alexmat.  The testing repo has become a kind of bottleneck.  The more the gcc4/libtool move to current/extra is delayed the more problems/issues will arise (example: recent thread about firefox security issue).

#13 2005-09-24 20:48:14

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

It's all in [testing], if you'd like to see what we're up to. No guarantee that your system will be running 100% happily if you use the testing repo, but you can still see what's up...

libtool-slay is progressing. There are some oddball packages that won't compile due to no libtool, we're working through those.
gcc4 is annoying in that some older packages won't compile very happily
we've also got QT4 on the horizon, no ground broke there yet, this one is complicated and held back due to the above 2 projects as well as other issues

I may have missed something, or even misinformed you, I have to admit I've only been half with it lately because I've been busy like never before, but that should be the jist of what's going on.

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#14 2005-09-26 17:36:34

mmccaskill

Thanks. I can't speak for others but I am in no rush for the release. Just curious for the status. Maybe I should learn more about the base packages so I can help.

#15 2005-09-26 20:23:09

deficite

I don't even know why a distro like Arch has releases. I think we should provide installers and you choose which one you prefer. Other than that, just run a "pacman -Syu" every once in a while and you're in good shape.

#16 2005-10-01 01:30:43

blitze

All very nice with the just pacman -Syu but has the base install ISO had grub fixed on it?

I would like to get back into Arch especially with what's being achieved and is in testing but last time I tried an Install ISO I had to use the base 0.7 installer and then get a system updated from there.  Still I could always use Lilo and then pacman te latest grub.  Ahh forget it.  Looking forward to getting back when I have some time.

Leave ones footprint not in the physical world but the in the world of the mind.

#17 2005-10-01 09:19:51

tomk
Forum Fellow

deficite wrote:

I don't even know why a distro like Arch has releases.

There are no distros like Arch. wink

Board footer