You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-11 21:40:28

tjone

Weird text issue...

Hi, 

I'm very reluctant to post this question, but here goes:

I have Arch on my home desktop machines and all the workstations at work (love it), with either XFCE, KDE or OpenBox running and configured nicely - with assistance from the brilliant Arch forums for some of the less than obvious things smile However,  I've recently purchased a little IBM thinkpad for when I'm out and about, and while everything is set up nicely as I want it (all of the PITA stuff),  google mail and slim login text looks horrific, though the system fonts (in XFCE) are set to Sans, and almost all other websites look great.  I haven't had this issue on any of the Arch desktop machines I've setup - I really don't get it.   I've had a hunt around, but nothing fruitful.  Anyone had this issue?  Tried Firefox, Chromium and Opera;  same problem with all browsers.  Any insight would be great - it's starting to drive me a bit crazy now!!

Thanks,

Tobias

Last edited by tjone (2012-05-11 21:43:01)

#2 2012-05-12 05:47:16

bws

Re: Weird text issue...

It doesn't really help, but I have the same problem.  Some sites show good fonts, some are simply "horrific" as you said.  The only thing I can say to this is that the webistes in question are forcing a font that is not installed on the computer, so the browser is replacing it with a "lesser" font.  Though I'm not sure why it does not default to the default font I've instructed it to.....  Using Gnome3 by the way.

All the best people in life seem to like Linux.
  ~ Steve Wozniak

#3 2012-05-12 06:32:16

brebs

Define "horrific". Better still, provide a screenshot. Check that DPI is correct for your system:

xdpyinfo | grep -B1 dot

#4 2012-09-09 03:34:39

bws

I realize this is an old thread, but I still run into this issue every once in a while.  Not sure what causes it, and it does goes away after a few minutes.

Here are a couple screenshots of what I'm talking about.

tZmY1cw

A little closer:

tZmY1dA

As you can see, some parts of the fonts are just not showing.  Not sure what's causing this.

All the best people in life seem to like Linux.
  ~ Steve Wozniak

#5 2012-09-09 06:26:29

kvanberendonck

Try installing font packages; ttf-vista-fonts and ttf-mac-fonts will probably help with website compatibility, if you have not done so yet. It's possible that those particular websites are trying to use a font you don't have and are reverting to a font that doesn't work so well with that websites other css font properties.

Also, you could try alternate font rendering packages ie: if you're using an LCD monitor. freetype2-ubuntu works well.

Last edited by kvanberendonck (2012-09-09 06:28:16)

Board footer