You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-09 12:48:16

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Boot from Arch ISO on USB with UEFI BIOS [SOLVED]

After following the instructions here, I a FAT32 formated USB "ARCH_201209" with the extracted ISO on it but have no idea how to actually boot from this USB.  When entering the BIOS on my MB, I see nothing that would allow me to select the USB as a boot device.  Do I need to drop into the UEFI shell to accomplish this?

EDIT: It seems this is a limitation of my MB which is actually perfect in every other regard including overclocking.  The board for reference is an Asus P8Z77-V Pro running BIOS v1504.  I really hope they fix this BS in a subsequent BIOS update.

Last edited by graysky (2012-09-09 13:31:59)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#2 2012-09-09 12:55:57

Šaran

Re: Boot from Arch ISO on USB with UEFI BIOS [SOLVED]

On my system, USB just appears in BIOS boot list with prefix 'UEFI'.

#3 2012-09-09 13:02:39

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Šaran wrote:

On my system, USB just appears in BIOS boot list with prefix 'UEFI'.

Must be some sort of flaw in my MB's BIOS....

#4 2012-09-09 13:12:43

Šaran

I guess. From what I have seen here and from personal experience, there is no such thing as motherboard with proper UEFI support. sad
IMHO, burning CD would be the simplest solution (and praying it would boot in UEFI from CD).

Check this out to boot from shell:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UE … UEFI_Shell

#5 2012-09-09 13:13:43

DSpider

For FAT32 you need to use a workaround for the syslinux.cfg file (i.e. use "/arch" instead of "../../").

See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/US … _USB_drive

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#6 2012-09-09 13:17:32

Šaran

When I was installing arch from archboot iso, all I had to do is extract it to FAT32 USB root.

#7 2012-09-09 13:23:12

DSpider

Simply extracting it doesn't magically make it bootable... It needs a bootloader.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#8 2012-09-09 13:27:47

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Wow, this MB pisses me off.  Turns out that I had to completely powerdown, plugin the USB, enter the BIOS and ONLY then was the USB available as a boot option.  I wanted to test that I could actually boot to the thing and do so.  Arch booted flawlessly.

What I found after rebooting out of the live USB was that I couldn't boot my system at all.  The BIOS just kept coming up in an endless loop as I would select the 'arch_grub' option that previously worked.  The solution to this bullshit was to drop to the EFI shell and add an entry that points to  'fs0:\EFI\arch\grubx64.efi "Arch Linux MANUALLY ADDED"'

:angry:

...can someone tell me why in the world we are going to UEFI boards?  I actually opened a thread that has yet to receive a reply on this very topic.  I am making this as solved.  Thank you all for the quick replies.

Summary of links that really helped me:

UEFI Related:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EF … l_Commands
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gr … fi_package

Arch USB Related:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI#Archiso

Last edited by graysky (2012-09-09 13:33:22)

#9 2012-09-09 13:33:27

Šaran

DSpider wrote:

Simply extracting it doesn't magically make it bootable... It needs a bootloader.

Well it does, that's what's UEFI all about. In perfect world, UEFI picks up .efi application on usb (grub, kernel stub or whatever) and loads it.
In reality, sometimes it doesn't even detect usb. big_smile

#10 2012-09-09 13:41:55

dobie2564

It varies on different manufacturer motherboards.  I've got two recent ASRock mobos (different form factors) and the UEFI implementations on them are a bit different.   The better one, recognizes UEFI on a USB stick and gives the option to boot it as BIOS or UEFI.

Board footer