You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-09 19:04:15

hiveNzin0

[SOLVED][GRUB]Install problem with the new method

Hi,

it is not my first install of Arch Linux but I have a problem with this new kind of installation method, especially with GRUB.

Here is my hard drives configuration :

/dev/sda1 -> SSD 120 GB ntfs (windows)
/dev/sdb1 -> HD 1 TB ext4 (data)

/dev/sdc :

/dev/sdc1 -> ext2 /boot
/dev/sdc2 -> swap
/dev/sdc3 -> ext4 /
/dev/sdc5 -> ext4 /home

During the installation, I installed grub (with grub-install) in /dev/sdc. I assumed it was the correct drive to install it but apparently not, Windows starts automatically and I don't have the grub menu.

Should I install my system again or is there a way to boot on the livecd and install it ?

Should I :
1) mount /dev/sdc3 in /mnt then /dev/sdc1 in /mnt/boot and finally /dev/sdc5 in /mnt/home
2) pacstrap /mnt grub-bios
3) arch-chroot
4) grub-install

Thank you. smile

Last edited by hiveNzin0 (2012-09-12 06:15:15)

#2 2012-09-09 19:30:37

DSpider

Re: [SOLVED][GRUB]Install problem with the new method

Do you know which drive you installed Arch on? Check the BIOS boot order. Because this drive (brand and model) should be set as first.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-09-09 21:11:38

hiveNzin0

Okay it makes sense, it is the windows one. I will try to change the boot order.

Thank you.

#4 2012-09-09 21:28:58

DSpider

Don't forget to mark the topic as solved (by editing the first post).

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#5 2012-09-10 06:40:12

hiveNzin0

Okay problem. I cannot boot from another disk. I have a Samsung 830 series 128 GB (where Windows is installed -> sda) and my other SSD (Intel 80 GB) doesn't appear in the list in the BIOS to modify the boot order.

Should I create an ext2 partition on sda for /boot and install GRUB on sda ?

Would that cause any problems to start my ArchLinux located on /dev/sdcX ?

Thank you.

#6 2012-09-10 07:02:02

DSpider

If you set whatever drive "/dev/sdc" is (brand and model) to boot first in the BIOS, all you need to do is install a bootloader on Arch. You don't even need a separate boot partition. It will use the /boot folder from the root partition. Then install os-prober (if you don't already have this installed) and re-generate the .cfg.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … bootloader

Last edited by DSpider (2012-09-10 09:22:21)

#7 2012-09-10 07:52:24

hiveNzin0

DSpider wrote:

If you set whatever drive "/dev/sdc" is (brand and model) to boot first in the BIOS, all you need to do is install a bootloader on Arch. You don't even need a separate boot partition. It will use the /boot folder on root partition. Then install os-prober (if you don't already have this installed) and re-generate the .cfg.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … bootloader

The problem is that I cannot select another hard drive. The only one available for the boot order is the Samsung 830 series (/dev/sda with Windows).

The other options are the CD drive and removable disk.

I checked that this morning, maybe I was too tired. I will check again this evening.

But if I am right and I cannot select my intel SSD (containing my arch setup) for the boot order, would the solution I described work ? I don't see why not but my knowledge are basic in Linux.

Thank you again for your help.

#8 2012-09-10 09:04:12

bozzarch

I'm wondering whether you need to sort your BIOS settings to see the SSD at POST - I had a similar problem using Arch/SSD and Fed/SSD and also Windows/2TBSamungHDD. The SSD's are SATA3 via a single PCI express adapter, and I had to inhibit one of the BIOS settings - "use DMRAID" as I recall, but also to set SATA as RAID. Before you drive yourself mad with GRUB re-installs, my own experience is that grub2 is bombproof, so re-installation should hold no terrors these days unlike original grub. Worth doing a little CTL-ALT-DEL since there are only a few BIOS combinations. Just a suggestion.

#9 2012-09-10 10:43:38

drobole

Can you boot up the live CD/USB, scroll to "Boot from existing drive", press tab and change the drive name from hd(0, 0) to hd(2, 0)

Something along those lines. Not sure it works but you could give it a try

#10 2012-09-12 06:14:47

hiveNzin0

Hi,

thanks for your help but I fixed my problem with the solution I described.

I put my /boot partition on /dev/sda and installed the bootloader on /dev/sda. My / and /home are on /dev/sdc and no problem.

Thanks again. smile

#11 2012-09-12 07:01:54

DSpider

I have them set to "Removable Dev.", "CD-ROM" and something like "Hard Disk" (I think).

Then hit the escape key to go back a menu and right bellow it is "Hard Disk Priority", or something like that, and this was were you were supposed to set the "sdc" drive (by name, brand, whatever it's called) as 1. Then came everything else as 2. and 3.

The point is that you didn't have to partition /dev/sda. Oh, well...

#12 2012-09-12 13:35:53

hiveNzin0

DSpider wrote:

I have them set to "Removable Dev.", "CD-ROM" and something like "Hard Disk" (I think).

Then hit the escape key to go back a menu and right bellow it is "Hard Disk Priority", or something like that, and this was were you were supposed to set the "sdc" drive (by name, brand, whatever it's called) as 1. Then came everything else as 2. and 3.

The point is that you didn't have to partition /dev/sda. Oh, well...

Okay yeah I saw that. I didn't think about changing that order.

Your solution will probably help someone else.

I didn't change much, I just created a 256MB ext2 partition at the end of my Windows SSD, no big deal. smile

Board footer