You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-12 10:25:13

nailxx

Oh no! Something has gone wrong... after update

Hi all!

Yesterday I updated my Arch with `pacman -Syu`. After reboot all gone fine until GDM load. From now on I get background briefly displayed and after 1 second or so I get a screen with:

Oh no! Something has gone wrong.
A problem has occured and the system can't recover. Please contact a system administrator.
...and a picture of a monitor with sad emotion

Not too informative.

I've looked syslog, messages, dmesg, gdm logs and found nothing special in them. Trying to `rc.d stop gdm` spawns it again with same symphtoms.

I have ThinkPad E420 (Intel graphics) if it matters.

Where should I look to narrow down the problem? Thanks in advance.

#2 2012-09-12 14:36:09

nailxx

Re: Oh no! Something has gone wrong... after update

Omg, got it!

I've fount something like:

JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: Error: Argument 'text' (type utf8) may not be null
    JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '0'
    JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = '"gjs_throw"'
    JS ERROR: !!!     stack = '"("Argument 'text' (type utf8) may not be null")@gjs_throw:0
()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/dateMenu.js:212

in /var/log/gdm/:0-greeter.log and after few tries and errors I deduced the problem to a line in /etc/locale.conf

export LC_TIME="ru_RU.UTF-8"

I commented it out and voi-la, gnome started as usual. Crazy, crazy day…

Now the question is still open. Have anybody ideas how could ever such thing stop GDM and Gnome from starting?! How could I return back my local date/time format?

#3 2012-09-12 16:21:08

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

This is a shot in the dark, but are you sure you've uncommented the entry for ru_RU.UTF-8 in /etc/locale.gen and re-run locale-gen?

Last edited by WorMzy (2012-09-12 16:21:32)

Sakura:-
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO // Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.4GHz // GFX: nVidia GeForce GTX 970 Ti // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR3 (@ 2133MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB Seagate SATAII 5x 1TB Samsung SATAII, 2x 120GB Corsair SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#4 2012-09-12 16:38:21

nailxx

Sure. Futhermore I have:

export LC_PAPER="ru_RU.UTF-8"
export LC_MEASUREMENT="ru_RU.UTF-8"

In locale.conf and it works as expected. The problem is in LC_TIME.

#5 2012-09-13 03:47:42

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Sounds like an upstream bug to me, post in the related bug tracker (probably for gnome-shell).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer