You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-12 23:23:48

archnet

Install all packages from a given repository?

Is there a way to install every package from a given repository? For example, say I wanted to install every package from core (or at least every non-conflicting package, since systemd-sysvcompat is an issue)? I thought maybe something like '# pacman -S core' might do it, but it didn't.

Back when AIF was still around, I could do this by checking everything at install time, but now it's a multi-step process to collect all the packages and then install them.

#2 2012-09-12 23:38:23

2ManyDogs

Re: Install all packages from a given repository?

Honest question -- explain to me why you'd want to do this?

"The prettier the user interface, and the fewer odd replies the system allows you to make, the dumber you once appeared in the mind of the designer." -- Ellen Ullman

#3 2012-09-12 23:52:42

archnet

For me, I found I was using most of what was in [core] and it was easier for me to just install everything in it than to weed out the handful that I didn't need. Yes, I know there are _that_ many packages in [core], I'm just _that_ lazy.

In another scenario, I could see someone wanting to have an uber-system with absolutely everything possible and available installed. I used to do this a few years back with distros like Fedora where I would do a complete install.

#4 2012-09-12 23:55:16

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I'm also not sure what purpose this would serve, but here you go:

pacman -S `pacman -Slq core`

There may be a yet simpler way to do it, but that'd do it.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2012-09-13 00:02:30

2ManyDogs

Thank you for the explanation archnet, and now that I've read a few of your previous topics, I definitely understand.

"The prettier the user interface, and the fewer odd replies the system allows you to make, the dumber you once appeared in the mind of the designer." -- Ellen Ullman

#6 2012-09-13 00:21:14

archnet

Trilby wrote:

I'm also not sure what purpose this would serve, but here you go:

pacman -S `pacman -Slq core`

There may be a yet simpler way to do it, but that'd do it.

Thanks.

I was using the 'l' flag to get the list into a text file and then manually editing the fields. I missed the 'q' flag to do that for me.

Board footer