You are not logged in.

#26 2012-09-13 07:13:49

OdinEidolon
Member
From: Belluno - Italy
Registered: 2011-01-31
Posts: 346

Re: [SOLVED] Systemd and laptop-mode-tools frequency scaling

cfr wrote:

If you boot a live distro, do you have the same issue?

Good question, I'll try it out. But on the previous arch installation all was fine so I guess it's a new problem.


Hardware: 2016 Dell XPS15 - FullHD - i5-6300HQ - 8GB DDR4 - Nvidia GTX960M - Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD - 56Wh
Software: Plasma 5 - rEFInd - linux-ck - preload - prelink - verynice - psd - bumblebee

Offline

#27 2012-09-13 21:45:34

cfr
Member
From: Cymru
Registered: 2011-11-27
Posts: 5,661

Re: [SOLVED] Systemd and laptop-mode-tools frequency scaling

Another thought: if you haven't yet tried it, try the LTS kernel. That might help either narrow the possibilities or at least eliminate some.


How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Help Vampires

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | grub2 | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x121e | Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2367M CPU @ 1.40GHz GenuineIntel | Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 | US keyboard with Euro | 320G 7200 RPM Seagate HDD

Offline

#28 2012-09-14 20:37:37

OdinEidolon
Member
From: Belluno - Italy
Registered: 2011-01-31
Posts: 346

Re: [SOLVED] Systemd and laptop-mode-tools frequency scaling

cfr wrote:

Another thought: if you haven't yet tried it, try the LTS kernel. That might help either narrow the possibilities or at least eliminate some.

Tried linux-lts, no luck.
For some reason it doesn't even recognize and load cpufreq-ondemand!

[adriano@M735T ~]  cpupower frequency-info
analyzing CPU 0:
  no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
  boost state support:
    Supported: yes
    Active: yes

Even if I loaded cpufreq-conservative and told the CPU to use it.

The folders /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq do not exist when using the lts kernel.


Hardware: 2016 Dell XPS15 - FullHD - i5-6300HQ - 8GB DDR4 - Nvidia GTX960M - Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD - 56Wh
Software: Plasma 5 - rEFInd - linux-ck - preload - prelink - verynice - psd - bumblebee

Offline

#29 2012-09-14 20:45:15

bwat47
Member
Registered: 2009-10-07
Posts: 637

Re: [SOLVED] Systemd and laptop-mode-tools frequency scaling

OdinEidolon wrote:
cfr wrote:

Another thought: if you haven't yet tried it, try the LTS kernel. That might help either narrow the possibilities or at least eliminate some.

Tried linux-lts, no luck.
For some reason it doesn't even recognize and load cpufreq-ondemand!

[adriano@M735T ~]  cpupower frequency-info
analyzing CPU 0:
  no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
  boost state support:
    Supported: yes
    Active: yes

Even if I loaded cpufreq-conservative and told the CPU to use it.

The folders /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq do not exist when using the lts kernel.

The cpufreq module is only loaded automatically on kernel 3.4+, with older kernels you need to load the acpi-cpufreq module manually in /etc/modules-load.d/ before you can do anything with frequency scaling.

Last edited by bwat47 (2012-09-14 20:46:30)

Offline

#30 2012-09-15 14:57:32

OdinEidolon
Member
From: Belluno - Italy
Registered: 2011-01-31
Posts: 346

Re: [SOLVED] Systemd and laptop-mode-tools frequency scaling

bwat47 wrote:
OdinEidolon wrote:
cfr wrote:

Another thought: if you haven't yet tried it, try the LTS kernel. That might help either narrow the possibilities or at least eliminate some.

Tried linux-lts, no luck.
For some reason it doesn't even recognize and load cpufreq-ondemand!

[adriano@M735T ~]  cpupower frequency-info
analyzing CPU 0:
  no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
  boost state support:
    Supported: yes
    Active: yes

Even if I loaded cpufreq-conservative and told the CPU to use it.

The folders /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq do not exist when using the lts kernel.

The cpufreq module is only loaded automatically on kernel 3.4+, with older kernels you need to load the acpi-cpufreq module manually in /etc/modules-load.d/ before you can do anything with frequency scaling.

Thanks for the tip. I now loaded the module and the frequency is still capped at 1.6ghz on battery even with the LTS kernel.
Changing the max allowed frequency cia cpupower or manually has no effect whatsoever.


Hardware: 2016 Dell XPS15 - FullHD - i5-6300HQ - 8GB DDR4 - Nvidia GTX960M - Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD - 56Wh
Software: Plasma 5 - rEFInd - linux-ck - preload - prelink - verynice - psd - bumblebee

Offline

#31 2012-09-16 08:09:18

OdinEidolon
Member
From: Belluno - Italy
Registered: 2011-01-31
Posts: 346

Re: [SOLVED] Systemd and laptop-mode-tools frequency scaling

Mybe I'll try some 2.6 kernel later, maybe it could help also with my extra button recognising problem.


Hardware: 2016 Dell XPS15 - FullHD - i5-6300HQ - 8GB DDR4 - Nvidia GTX960M - Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD - 56Wh
Software: Plasma 5 - rEFInd - linux-ck - preload - prelink - verynice - psd - bumblebee

Offline

#32 2012-09-16 15:55:39

cfr
Member
From: Cymru
Registered: 2011-11-27
Posts: 5,661

Re: [SOLVED] Systemd and laptop-mode-tools frequency scaling

Did you get a chance to try with a live distro? That might give some indication of whether it might be some configuration or not...


How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Help Vampires

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | grub2 | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x121e | Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2367M CPU @ 1.40GHz GenuineIntel | Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 | US keyboard with Euro | 320G 7200 RPM Seagate HDD

Offline

#33 2012-10-27 07:42:03

OdinEidolon
Member
From: Belluno - Italy
Registered: 2011-01-31
Posts: 346

Re: [SOLVED] Systemd and laptop-mode-tools frequency scaling

After latest kernel upgrade, many problems solved themselves, like some buttons not working and strange ACPI behaviour. Sadly, this issue remains.


Hardware: 2016 Dell XPS15 - FullHD - i5-6300HQ - 8GB DDR4 - Nvidia GTX960M - Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD - 56Wh
Software: Plasma 5 - rEFInd - linux-ck - preload - prelink - verynice - psd - bumblebee

Offline

#34 2012-11-20 08:54:10

OdinEidolon
Member
From: Belluno - Italy
Registered: 2011-01-31
Posts: 346

Re: [SOLVED] Systemd and laptop-mode-tools frequency scaling

It was there, plain and clear:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CP … limitation
Solved!

The strange thing is that this did not happen with the previous Arch installation, even though I DID NOT update the BIOS...


Hardware: 2016 Dell XPS15 - FullHD - i5-6300HQ - 8GB DDR4 - Nvidia GTX960M - Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD - 56Wh
Software: Plasma 5 - rEFInd - linux-ck - preload - prelink - verynice - psd - bumblebee

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB