You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-14 14:00:55

dbakker

[Solved]Can't get past "Starting network" during installation from USB

I'm trying to do a fresh install of Archlinux on my laptop, following the Beginners Guide. However, I never get to the shell prompt because the installation gets stuck at "Starting network [Busy]".

These are steps I followed:
- I downloaded the latest Arch ISO.
- I wrote it to a usb stick ("Kingston Data Traveler") with "dd if=archlinux.iso of=/dev/sdb"
- I put the usb stick into my laptop (HP Pavilion dm1-4139sd), and booted it. I chose "x86_64". Everything seems to go fine, the only warning I get is: "microcode: failed to load file amd-ucode/microcode_amd.bin".
- I get the message "INIT: Entering runlevel: 3" and "Starting Syslog-NG [Done]", after that its endlessly (at least 20 minutes) stuck on "Starting network [Busy]".

I tried the following variations on the above:
- Wrote the ISO to a different USB, samen problem.
- Tried it with a different Arch version (from August), same problem.
- Turned kvm on and off, same problem.
- Pressed TAB at the "x86_64" line and added "acpi=off" to the end of it. I then get:
    :: Triggering uevents....
    [ 19.697932 ] usb 1-1: device not accepting address 2, error -110
    :: Mounting '/dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201209' to '/run/archiso/bootmnt'
    Waiting 30 seconds for device /dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201209
    [ 35.312165 ] usb 1-1: device not accepting address 3, error -110
    [ 45.821422 ] usb 1-1: device not accepting address 4, error -110
    [ 56.330681 ] usb 1-1: device not accepting address 5, error -110
    [ 56.330681 ] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB devices on port 1
    ERROR: '/dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201209' device did not show up after 30 seconds....
    Falling back to interactive prompt
    You can try to fix the problem manually, log out when you are finished
    sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
    [rootfs /]#
I'm not sure what to do in this prompt. At least the network isn't working and none of the normal commands.
- I reset the DHCP leases on my modem, same problem.
- I turned off/on the hardware WLAN, same problem.
- I tried it with or without the LAN cable plugged in, same problem.
- I tried it with or without the battery plugged in, and with or without the power cable plugged in. Same problem.

I also performed the Arch memory test, and the bios hard disk test. They both report no errors.

I did an Arch installation a month ago on this laptop, and back then it didn't have this problem. I still have that arch installed from back then and it boots/works without problem (I have Starting NetworkingManager [Done]). I know I technically don't need to install arch again, as I still have the old one, but I wanted to clean the changes I made to some settings files and I if it turns out this is some kind of hardware problem I'd like to return it to the store.

Please help! I'm not really that familiar with Linux in general, so it might have been a very basic mistake from me as well. I have no idea what to do next, except for formatting my harddisk (which I don't think should influence the installer?), or trying to install a different Linux distro.

Edit: The solution that solved this problem for me in the end was resetting the BIOS to its defaults.

Last edited by dbakker (2012-09-15 11:28:14)

#2 2012-09-14 15:55:19

DSpider

Re: [Solved]Can't get past "Starting network" during installation from USB

ERROR: '/dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201209' device did not show up after 30 seconds....

Pff. Classic.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/US … tion_Media

Edit:

I wanted to clean the changes I made to some settings files and I if it turns out this is some kind of hardware problem I'd like to return it to the store.

Settings files are the so-called "dot files" in your home dir.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … er_account

Last edited by DSpider (2012-09-14 16:00:23)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-09-14 18:29:05

dbakker

DSpider wrote:

Pff. Classic.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/US … tion_Media

I just finished trying it with the "Without overwriting the USB drive" section. (I presume the 30 second error was your point?) I still pretty much have the same error (with 'acpi=off'):

ERROR: '/dev/disk/by-uuid/0BE6-B3CA' device did not show up after 30 seconds....

If I boot without the 'acpi=off' it still hangs at Starting network. Adding "vmalloc=448M" or "nomodeset" to the params does not change anything for me either.

#4 2012-09-14 19:11:47

DSpider

That's because "vmalloc=448M" only applies to the MEMDISK method, and only for the i686 menu entry.

Did you check the MD5 checksum? If you downloaded it using a BitTorrent client, then you don't need to (its hash is checked during downloading).

Try a different stick? Or at least a different method from that wiki page. For example, "dd"-ing it should work just fine.

Last edited by DSpider (2012-09-14 20:01:35)

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#5 2012-09-14 19:37:29

dbakker

DSpider wrote:

Did you check the MD5 checksum? If you downloaded it using a BitTorrent client, then you don't need to (its hash is checked during downloading).

Yes, I downloaded it using BitTorrent and the MD5 matches.

DSpider wrote:

Try a different stick?

Yes, I tried it with 2 different USB sticks. They are both from the same brand ("Kingston DataTraveler"), so I might try different brands as well, but I don't think it is the problem.

DSpider wrote:

Or at least a different method from that wiki page. For example, "dd"-ing it should work just fine.

The methods for writing the ISO that I tried so far:

The base method:

dd if=archlinux.iso of=/dev/sdb

(from an Arch install)
The method without overwriting your USB drive (created a FAT32 drive with an VFAT filesystem, from an arch install)
Using Imagewriter (from Windows)

Each method gives the same result: the laptop gets stuck at "Starting network [Busy]" when booted from one of the USB sticks. My modem indicates that it "sees" the laptop, but that the laptop has no established connection. When the laptop is stuck at the "Starting network [Busy]", all the activity on the USB stick stops (the light stops flashing).

The thing I find most strange is that the OS currently installed on the laptop has no problems booting or accessing the internet (both wired and wireless) at all.

#6 2012-09-14 20:01:53

DSpider

#7 2012-09-14 20:59:52

dbakker

Ok, I performed the steps and the memdisk loads the ISO on the laptop:

Loading memdisk
Loading /Boot/ISOs/archlinux-2012.09.07-dual.iso............................

Edit: changed my typo ".ISO" to ".iso" in this fragment.

Unfortunately, when the menu appears, and I select the x86_64 option, exactly the same problem occurs and the laptop hangs on "Starting network [Busy]".

I did notice there is an "address already in use" warning, although it always gives this warning on normal use as well:

:: Triggering udev uevents [DONE]
:: Loading user-specified modules [DONE]
[   8.435667] sp5100_tco: mmio address 0xb80430 already in use [BUSY]

Last edited by dbakker (2012-09-14 21:29:40)

#8 2012-09-14 21:04:39

DSpider

dbakker wrote:

Ok, I performed the steps and the memdisk loads the ISO on the laptop:

Loading memdisk
Loading /Boot/ISOs/archlinux-2012.09.07-dual.ISO............................

I gotta ask, was the ISO tampered with in any way?

Because the extension isn't supposed to be in upper-case. It's supposed to be archlinux-2012.09.07-dual.iso.

When was the last time you ran a virus check on your Windows install?

#9 2012-09-14 21:27:26

dbakker

DSpider wrote:
dbakker wrote:
Loading /Boot/ISOs/archlinux-2012.09.07-dual.ISO............................

The extension isn't supposed to be in upper-case. It's supposed to be archlinux-2012.09.07-dual.iso.

My apologies, the '.ISO' extension was a typo of me typing this post right now. The line is "Loading /Boot/ISOs/archlinux-2012.09.07-dual.iso...........".

DSpider wrote:

When was the last time you ran a virus check on your Windows install?

I reguarly virus check my Windows desktop, and I only use legitimate programs on it and an up-to-date Firefox with Noscript. But even if the Windows machine was somehow infected, I don't think that wouldn't explain why the other USB stick, prepared using my working Arch Linux install and with an independently downloaded ISO, would give exactly the same issues.

#10 2012-09-15 01:09:46

cfr

Which install media did you use a month ago? Do you get the same problem with that?

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#11 2012-09-15 08:01:59

dbakker

cfr wrote:

Which install media did you use a month ago? Do you get the same problem with that?

I used "archlinux-2012.08.04-dual.iso" last month without problem, but when I try it now it also doesn't get past "Starting network". Different USB ports give the same problem too.

#12 2012-09-15 08:52:25

DSpider

Try resetting the BIOS to its defaults. You may have chosen "Full-Speed" (USB 1.1) instead of "Hi-Speed" (USB 2.0).

And try booting one of those USB stick on another machine too; see if it gets you to the root prompt.

#13 2012-09-15 11:25:52

dbakker

DSpider wrote:

Try resetting the BIOS to its defaults. You may have chosen "Full-Speed" (USB 1.1) instead of "Hi-Speed" (USB 2.0).

Great, this did it for me! I feel kindof disappointed that the solution was this easy, but I am happy the problem is finally solved. Cheers for the help mate!

#14 2012-12-19 03:18:26

atercor

I have to say...If you obligate someone to put a SPECIFIC label name to a pendrive to work....well, it's kinda embarrasing

#15 2012-12-19 11:28:09

DSpider

Actually, you don't necessarily have to set a label.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/US … _USB_drive

Note: While you could label the drive "ARCH_2012XX" (with the appropriate release month), perhaps an even better approach is to use the UUID (this way you can re-label it whatever you want later without having to worry about it, or you could just leave it blank). Failing to do either will get you the famous 30 seconds error.

And please don't use Unetbootin... According to their website, the last supported Arch Linux ISO is from 2010.

Last edited by DSpider (2012-12-19 11:28:46)

Board footer