You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-30 15:55:08

eric

kernel with archck and win4lin patches?

I've tried to patch the kernel with archck and win4lin myself, but compilation fails :-( Without the win4lin patch compilation is successfull... but I need win4lin for some windows app.

#2 2005-09-30 16:00:28

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: kernel with archck and win4lin patches?

OH MY GOD!

What do you want us to do?  Quick, someone grab the violin!  We'll sing you a sad song to suit your mood, how's that?

Have you even considered telling us some details?  Does the win4lin patch apply cleanly?  What are the compilation errors?

#3 2005-09-30 16:05:08

robot5x

dibblethewrecker wrote:

OH MY GOD!

What do you want us to do?  Quick, someone grab the violin!  We'll sing you a sad song to suit your mood, how's that?

Surely, as a 'forum tech advisor/TU' a timely reminder of the forum posting guidelines would have been more appropriate and helpful than such facetiousness.

#4 2005-09-30 19:58:24

tomk
Forum Fellow

lol  lol  lol

----------------------------

The above was in response to something that phrak has since cleaned up (see below).

#5 2005-09-30 20:22:08

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ok, I cleaned that up a tad... anyway, Mr eric - you're going to have to ask us a question and provide more details if you want anyone to help you - as it stands we don't know what you're looking for

#6 2005-09-30 21:44:20

eric

phrakture wrote:

ok, I cleaned that up a tad... anyway, Mr eric - you're going to have to ask us a question and provide more details if you want anyone to help you - as it stands we don't know what you're looking for

Well I was hoping to find some one who has already build this kernel or is willing to build this kernel. I thought this was the place to ask (or beg) for these kind of favours.

Anyway, I have some info, but it's not much because I didn't log the compilation output.

I've tried to build 4 kernels:
1) 2.6.13+archck6.2
Patch applies cleanly, compilation was successfull and kernel is running well;
2) 2.6.13+archck6.2+win4lin (win4lin from www.win4lin.com)
The win4lin patches didn't apply cleanly, but there were no rejects. Compilation fails, but I don't remember the error message;
3) 2.6.13+2.6.13.2+nitro1 (nitro has win4lin built-in)
The nitro patches can be found on the gentoo forum in 'unsupported software'. Patches applies cleanly, compilation was successfull, kernel is running and win4lin is working;
4) 2.6.13+archck6.2+win4lin (win4lin from 2.6.13.2-nitro1)
The win4lin patches didn't apply cleany, but cleaner than kernel #2, there were no rejects. Compilation fails, with a different error message than kernel #2, but again I don't remember the error message.

#7 2005-09-30 22:06:54

tomk
Forum Fellow

Do kernel #2 again, capture the error message, and post it.

#8 2005-09-30 22:24:03

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

eric wrote:

Well I was hoping to find some one who has already build this kernel or is willing to build this kernel. I thought this was the place to ask (or beg) for these kind of favours.

Yeah, it's the correct place, the problem is that you didn't ask anything - so we really didn't know how to respond.  You tend to get better answers the more concise your questions and provided data are.

For instance, if you post the exact error message you get, along with what patches you used and how you changed the configuration, if anything, someone here will probably be able to track the error down in very short time.  However, saying "it doesn't work" doesn't help us much 8)

#9 2005-09-30 23:26:26

eric

phrakture wrote:

Yeah, it's the correct place, the problem is that you didn't ask anything

I thought the subject of the posting was clear that I was looking for someone who is willing to build this kernel (or has a PKGBUILD for this kernel).

If I was looking for someone to help me build this kernel, I would have post in "Kernel & Hardware Issues" and I would've put the error message and .config file in my posting... But I was just asking someone to build this kernel for me... hoping someone is willing to do this for me or maybe if the guy who made archck read my posting, he will include win4lin in future versions. Yeah, I know, that's lazy, but this is the place for this kind of favours.

Maybe the body of my posting created the confusion, next time I'll be more clear, I should say something like: "I'm looking for 2.6.13+archck6.2+win4lin... anyone?" instead of: "I've tried to patch and compile but it fails..."

phrakture wrote:

For instance, if you post the exact error message you get, along with what patches you used and how you changed the configuration, if anything, someone here will probably be able to track the error down in very short time.  However, saying "it doesn't work" doesn't help us much 8)

So, instead of saying "it doesn't work", I should have said "I want it, can you make it for me or give it to me?"

Anyway, now that this thread has evolved this way, I'll post the .config and error message when I have access to my own computer (that's after the weekend).

#10 2005-10-02 15:40:30

scarecrow

BTW the *new* nitro patches can be found here although I wouldn't hold my breath about them...

Microshaft delenda est

Board footer