You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-02 02:33:40

lilsirecho
Veteran

How to use devfs and udev with same lilo and fstab?

I have built a 26132-custom kernel and need to understand what impact it has on present kernels using lilo and devfs nomenclature.

I understand that the 2.6.13 kernels are Udev and that Udev needs modified fstab but that lilo doesn't require the boot append statement but no comment regarding the need or lack of need for the root= entry in Udev.

Are the kernels compatible with kernel 2.6.10?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2005-10-02 08:38:27

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: How to use devfs and udev with same lilo and fstab?

You'll always need the root= entry. I'm not sure what you mean by "compatible with kernel 2.6.10" - you've rolled your own 2.6.13.2, which has config options that were not available in 2.6.10. Presumably you have also changed some config options. If you're looking for the facility to choose which kernel to use at boot-time, then you should be ok, as long as you're happy with your custom kernel.

#3 2005-10-02 16:28:24

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: How to use devfs and udev with same lilo and fstab?

tomk;

Right on...system seems compatible with lilo image root=/dev/hda3 and can select label for this new kernel in boot.

Its up and running with custom change.

Thanks for reply.

big_smile

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Board footer