You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-14 09:43:23

yjcong

/boot and /home cannot be mounted

hi

i run "pacman -Syu --ignore glibc" everyday.  this morning , after i start my laptop, i found /boot and /home were not mounted automatically. so i tried

mount /dev/sda5   /home

then i got

mount: unknown filesystem type 'reiserfs'

and

mount: unknown filesystem type 'ext2'

for

mount /dev/sda2   /boot

i tried

mkinitcpio -p linux

since /boot was not mounted, the output was  just a error message

then, i added ext2, xfs, and reiserfs to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, nothing was changed

finally, i added ext2, xfs and reiserfs to MODULES in /etc/rc.conf. the only change is what i saw from booting process:

Failed to lookup alisa function "ext2" is not implemented
Failed to lookup alisa function "xfs " is not implemented
Failed to lookup alisa function "reiserfs" is not implemented

the /etc/fstab is

/dev/sda1   /      xfs default 0 1
/dev/sda4   /boot  ext2 default 0 1
/dev/sda5   /home reiserfs default 0 1
/dev/sda7   swap  swap default 0 1

could anyone help me  solve this problem?

PS: i also saw something like "mount /dev/by-uuid/wi234-fvr2-er........ no real root" from the booting process.
PPS: soundcard was not detected
PPPS:NetworkManger was running, but ping did not work
PPPPS:USB flash drive cannot be mounted as well.  there was no such "sdb" showed up in /dev

Last edited by yjcong (2012-09-14 10:00:38)

#2 2012-09-14 10:34:01

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: /boot and /home cannot be mounted

yjcong wrote:

i run "pacman -Syu --ignore glibc" everyday.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … nsupported

First update your system (from a liveCD if you have to).

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2012-09-14 10:42:48

yjcong

WorMzy wrote:
yjcong wrote:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … nsupported

First update your system (from a liveCD if you have to).

thanks. i will try that. im wondering how to do that without livecd.

Last edited by yjcong (2012-09-14 10:48:49)

#4 2012-09-14 20:19:54

dodo3773

yjcong wrote:

hi

You got to be kidding. No wonder you are having problems.

PS: i also saw something like "mount /dev/by-uuid/wi234-fvr2-er........ no real root" from the booting process.

If your fstab is setup as /dev/sda* then you should probably not be trying to mount your partitions as /dev/by-uuid/foo. This is an option you can change in grub somewhere I am pretty sure.

#5 2012-09-15 02:38:26

yjcong

If your fstab is setup as /dev/sda* then you should probably not be trying to mount your partitions as /dev/by-uuid/foo. This is an option you can change in grub somewhere I am pretty sure.

i saw this from booting process. and i did do this, but what i get was the same as

mount: unknown filesystem type 'reiserfs'

#6 2012-09-15 03:22:40

dodo3773

I am going to have to go with WorMzy on this one. Update your entire system completely. It could really be any number of variables causing you troubles. I am not one of the developers here so I am unsure. If you are not willing to do that for some unknown reason I would say check your updates before the failure and systematically roll back a package at a time until you solve your problem (this is probably going to cause you big problems (a whole lot more than updating your system)).

#7 2012-09-15 05:12:56

yjcong

dodo3773 wrote:

I am going to have to go with WorMzy on this one. Update your entire system completely. It could really be any number of variables causing you troubles. I am not one of the developers here so I am unsure. If you are not willing to do that for some unknown reason I would say check your updates before the failure and systematically roll back a package at a time until you solve your problem (this is probably going to cause you big problems (a whole lot more than updating your system)).

thank your for your advice.

i would like to update my whole system now, but the problems  are
1)i cannot mount anything
2)i just cleaned /var/cache/pacman  after pacman -Syu
3)internet connection is not working right now for my broken archlinux. 

so, as WorMzy suggested,  i tired to build a liveUSB. i just copied arch.iso to my usb flash stick, but i found that my old laptop cannot boot from it.

now, i will burn a liveCD. if i cannot figure out how to do it , i thinks , i will have to delete / and reinstall the system from iso file, which is the last thing i want to do.

#8 2012-09-15 05:17:56

dodo3773

yjcong wrote:

now, i will burn a liveCD. if i cannot figure out how to do it , i thinks , i will have to delete / and reinstall the system from iso file, which is the last thing i want to do.

You should nto have to reinstall your system. I am sure whatever it is is probably fixable from a livecd. Unless you destroyed your data somehow.

#9 2012-09-15 05:50:12

yjcong

dodo3773 wrote:
yjcong wrote:

You should nto have to reinstall your system. I am sure whatever it is is probably fixable from a livecd. Unless you destroyed your data somehow.

after this problem, i didnt delete anything.

right now, i need to figure out how to build a liveCD in windows, and then how to use the liveCD to fix the broken system.

#10 2012-09-15 05:52:36

dodo3773

Just download one and burn it to a disk and boot from it. If by build it you mean you need a burning program I used to use one called "imgburn" in windows. I am sure it's still around.

#11 2012-09-15 06:09:03

yjcong

dodo3773 wrote:

Just download one and burn it to a disk and boot from it. If by build it you mean you need a burning program I used to use one called "imgburn" in windows. I am sure it's still around.

thank you for your help.

i will go shopping for CDs.

oh, one more question, could you give me a link about how to use livecd to fix system? i mean, after mount / by livecd,  should i run pacman -Syu directly?

Last edited by yjcong (2012-09-15 06:14:18)

#12 2012-09-15 06:14:46

dodo3773

yjcong wrote:
dodo3773 wrote:

thank your for your help.

i will go shopping for CD.

oh, one more question, could you give me a link about how to use livecd to fix system? i mean, after mount / by livecd,  should i run pacman -Syu directly?

If you plan on installing packages from the livecd itself do it like this -> pacman -r /mnt/foo -Syyu or you can chroot in. Please see this recent thread:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=148128

Similar thing. Fixing from livecd.

#13 2012-09-17 15:44:13

yjcong

dodo3773 wrote:
yjcong wrote:
dodo3773 wrote:

thank your for your help.

i will go shopping for CD.

If you plan on installing packages from the livecd itself do it like this -> pacman -r /mnt/foo -Syyu or you can chroot in. Please see this recent thread:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=148128

Similar thing. Fixing from livecd.

i sloved the problem with glibc-2.16.0-1, and everything worked well.  but after pacman -Syu, glibc-2.16.0-4 cannot be installed. so i just did what i did before, deleted  /lib, and ln -s /usr/lib  /lib.

then  i cannot login. whatever i type, the screen will rollback and ask for the  login name.

someone said this can be solved by adding "usr" to HOOKS, but it didnt work for me.

so i wanted to use liveCD to fix the new problem. but, this time

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
arch-chroot  /mnt

/bin/sh:error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.6:cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

and

pacman -r /mnt -U glibc-2.16-0-4-i686....

sh:error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.6:cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

plus, i cannot mount my usb flash stick which contains readline-6.2.004-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz

SQUASHFS error: unable to read data cache entry

what a tough time.

#14 2012-09-17 16:43:48

dodo3773

Is everything on sda1? Your entire system? Not sure about the hooks thing. Make sure everything is mounted. Also proc and all that

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chroot#Change_root

Other than that I am unsure. You should not have so many problems installing packages from a livecd -> system unless maybe some partitions are not mounted?

#15 2012-09-18 02:27:37

yjcong

dodo3773 wrote:

Is everything on sda1? Your entire system? Not sure about the hooks thing. Make sure everything is mounted. Also proc and all that

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chroot#Change_root

Other than that I am unsure. You should not have so many problems installing packages from a livecd -> system unless maybe some partitions are not mounted?

thanks for your help again.

my /etc/fstab is

/dev/sda1   /      xfs default 0 1
/dev/sda4   /boot  ext2 default 0 1
/dev/sda5   /home reiserfs default 0 1
/dev/sda7   swap  swap default 0 1

how i mounted the partitions is

mount  /dev/sda1   /mnt
mount  /dev/sda4   /mnt/boot
mount  /dev/sda5   /mnt/home

this did work, because i used this method to fix the problem at the first time(i can run chroot, copy files and delete files). so i think, with high probability, "mount" is not the reason.

pppoe-start works randomly. i have to switch back to windows and dowlnoad packages to usb flash stick. this drives me crazy.

#16 2012-09-18 04:31:54

dodo3773

I do not know the answer to your problem / what the issue is. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come across this thread.

#17 2012-09-18 10:02:00

yjcong

dodo3773 wrote:

I do not know the answer to your problem / what the issue is. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come across this thread.

thanks for all your help.

i decide to reinstall the system from liveCD.

Board footer