You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-02 00:26:42

Benedict_White
Website

Great on the update!

great progress on the update to GCC 4.X and the latest kernel.

However, i am a litle confused.

I have a default 0.7 install running my mail and web. The server is kind of difficult to get at as it is almost bricked in.

I am told the kernel no longer supports devfs which is fair enough as this has been comming for a while, however, after a night at the pub, the message appears unlear. Should my kernel boot line read:

change root=/dev/discs/disc0/part3

or

oot=/dev/hda3

for udev and the latest kernel?

Sorry for being mystified.

I will obviously have to open another can while I am waiting for an answer.  big_smile

Hopefully not two though as I have to get up early.  sad

Kind regards

Benedict White

#2 2005-10-02 01:06:49

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Re: Great on the update!

yeah change it to root=/dev/hda3 and change all devfs occurrences to udev in /etc/fstab. I think its still symlinked for fstab entries, but still good practice to make the switch there as well.

#3 2005-10-02 01:17:29

Benedict_White
Website

Thanks for the clarification.

So we are back to old style nameing schemes, which is fine.

I just want to say though, how good it is that I can do an in place upgrade, and just reboot.

The only thing I would say is that the language could have been clearer when the kernel was updated.

Well done the devlopers!

Kind regards

Benedict White

#4 2005-10-02 01:23:46

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

well keep your install disk handy just incase seeing how you're running a server. You should be ok though.
Oh, to be sure, run migrate_udev after you install udev -if you haven't already.

#5 2005-10-02 10:17:11

Benedict_White
Website

I have always had udev installed,

What does migrate_udev do? It looks like everything is working fairly well as is.

I stil have some devfs devices in /dev, though it is so much cleaner than it used to be.

BTW, even if I had the install disk handy, i would still have to dif the server out of its enclosed position, and get a monitor.

Many thanks again. The last thing I needed was trying to get the system fixed after too much beer!

Kind regards

Benedict White

#6 2005-10-02 10:44:30

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

# This script will create static system-critical device nodes in your /dev
# tree so the initscripts can get by without devfs/udev long enough to start
# up devfs/udev.

its helped people overcome "kernel panic cannot initiate console" messsages...

#7 2005-10-02 15:10:32

Benedict_White
Website

Interesting.

Never had that problem big_smile

Kind regards

Benedict White

#8 2005-10-02 17:05:00

Bysshe

This is slightly unrelated, but I thought it would suck to have another thank you thread clogging things up, so I just want to say that it was very nice of someone (Tobias?) to create an nvidia-legacy package, and it was very nice of someone to mention how to stop the endless sound-errors scrolling like mad.  This was pretty cool.  LOL, considering only a day before this was all announced, I bravely opened the testing repository and did an update.  Heh, imagine my surprise when the box all but exploded...it did at least with errors. 

But, nothing wrong now.  Reinstalled nvidia driver with pacman -S nvidia-legacy, and before starting a window-manager, took out the alsa settings in modprobe.conf 

Not hard at all.  All I got to say, is, outstanding.  big_smile

Board footer