You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-15 22:46:55

bmentink

Issues with /lib -> /usr/lib change [SOLVED]

Hi There,

In the middle of a full upgrade of my laptop which hasn't been done for several months and have run into the above issue.
I have been following the guide on this page to resolve this: --> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/De … iki:usrlib

I did the upgrade with "pacman -Syu --ignore glibc,curl" then manually installed heaps of files that it skipped with "pacman -Sd filexx" ... which I did.

I then "maybe stupidly" upgraded "curl" which broke pacman .. so I can't complete the upgrade any more ..
I get this error on any use of pacman ..

(1/1) upgrading curl                                   [############################] 100%
[bmentink@Laptop2 boot]$ sudo pacman -Sd empathy
pacman: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.16' not found (required by /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4)

Also before the curl upgrade I had errors upgrading the "linux" kernel .... it complained of heaps of missing modules ..

Can anyone help me on either/both issues ?

I don't have an older version of libcurl that I can use to get pacman working again ..

Thanks

Last edited by bmentink (2012-09-16 04:17:44)

#2 2012-09-15 23:03:33

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Re: Issues with /lib -> /usr/lib change [SOLVED]

my suggestion, fix and continue via a livecd and pacman -r
older versions of curl can be obtained through ARM
I can't say about the kernel modules. the /lib -> /usr/lib transition is a real hurdle for delayed upgrades
good luck

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#3 2012-09-15 23:57:43

bmentink

fsckd wrote:

my suggestion, fix and continue via a livecd and pacman -r
older versions of curl can be obtained through ARM
I can't say about the kernel modules. the /lib -> /usr/lib transition is a real hurdle for delayed upgrades
good luck

Ok, can you please indicate how to use pacman -r to do that?
Which packages should I be installing and in what order .... I think at this stage curl, glibc, linux are outstanding ...

Cheers,
B

#4 2012-09-16 00:31:12

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Do a full system upgrade. i.e. -Syu

If you run in to problems with the glibc update, follow the advice in tis wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/De … iki:usrlib

If you don't know how to use pacman's -r flag, read "man pacman".

Last edited by WorMzy (2012-09-16 00:31:23)

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#5 2012-09-16 00:40:07

bmentink

WorMzy wrote:

I presume you mean after I have booted of the install CD as pacman is broke on my system ..

If you run in to problems with the glibc update, follow the advice in tis wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/De … iki:usrlib

See my original post ... I have been following that guide ..

If you don't know how to use pacman's -r flag, read "man pacman".

Duh! 1st thing I did, it wasn't clear to me what order to install packages on a broken system .... not how to use pacman!

#6 2012-09-16 00:47:17

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

bmentink wrote:
WorMzy wrote:

I presume you mean after I have booted of the install CD as pacman is broke on my system ..

Yes, as fsckd suggested..

bmentink wrote:

See my original post ... I have been following that guide ..

Sorry, I missed that.

bmentink wrote:

Duh! 1st thing I did, it wasn't clear to me what order to install packages on a broken system .... not how to use pacman!

In that case, I'm glad that you used your initiative. smile

The order that you install packages with the -r flag doesn't matter from a liveCD though. You're not modifying the live environment, instead you're basically extracting tarballs on the "broken" system. You may still encounter problems listed on the wiki page though, which is why I linked you to it..

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#7 2012-09-16 02:02:20

bmentink

Thanks.
I have managed to downgrade curl so that my pacman works again. I then did a full upgrade and it has completed fine.

However I did not manage to boot ... grub complained about not finding the root partition ... I guess that was because I now have grub2 installed and I havn't configured it ..

Anyway I hate grub2 .. far too complex so I have installed syslinux bootloader .... I did an automatic install like the wiki page and chaked the root partition is correct in syslinux.cfg but all I get on boot is "no operatiing system" I don't even get the opertunity to get into the bios ..

It does boot the CD ok though .... what have I done wrong now? The MBR seemed to install correctly ..

Can anyone tell me how to get syslinux going or a quick "simple" howto on grub2

Thanks

#8 2012-09-16 04:17:25

bmentink

Hi Guys,

Have it solved. My boot partition started from block 1 instead of 64, so fixed it by following the howto on the syslinux wiki page (involved deleting and re-making the partition)

Thanks for the help .. marking solved.

Board footer