You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-10 01:44:56

cfr

[solved] bios update advice [was reenabling bluetooth]

When I first installed Arch, I couldn't for the life of me get it to recognise bluetooth. More specifically, I couldn't get it to see my bluetooth as not hard blocked despite having it enabled in the (uefi) bios.

Eventually, I got it to work. However, I don't think I really understood what I'd done. Perhaps it was simply a fortuitous update. All seemed OK.

Recently, it stopped working again. I'm not sure exactly when as I don't use it that often. Also, I am not sure if it was working immediately prior to my machine going insane two days ago. I've just restored from backup. However, I idiotically ran fsck on the root fs of my backup drive once and this caused minor corruption. As far as I could tell, the only issue was an inode moved to lost+found and I've identified and reinstated that. Everything seems OK and I've updated to the latest kernel this evening without problems. Also, since this is a problem I had earlier, I'm more inclined to think it due to user error (configuration) rather than corruption.

Bluetooth is definitely enabled in the (uefi) bios. I've rebooted to double-check this at least twice.

$ rfkill list
1: tpacpi_bluetooth_sw: Bluetooth
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: yes
2: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Hard blocked: no

ps ax | grep blue
  684 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/bluetoothd

$ lsmod | grep blue
bluetooth             151999  11 btusb,bnep,rfcomm
rfkill                 15498  4 bluetooth,cfg80211,thinkpad_acpi
crc16                   1359  2 ext4,bluetooth

$ grep DAEMONS /etc/rc.conf
# DAEMONS
#DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network crond)
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng iptables ip6tables !network @crond dbus rfkill wicd bluetooth @smartd avahi-daemon @avahi-dnsconfd @cupsd !@monitd @ntpd @sensors !@cpufreq @acpid @laptop-mode @alsa !@esd @clamav)

$ pacman -Qs blue
local/bluedevil 1.2.2-1
    KDE bluetooth framework
local/bluez 4.99-1
    Libraries and tools for the Bluetooth protocol stack
local/libbluedevil 1.9.1-1
    A Qt wrapper for bluez used in the new KDE bluetooth stack

A relevant line from dmesg:

[   18.920885] thinkpad_acpi: rfkill switch tpacpi_bluetooth_sw: radio is blocked

/etc/conf.d/rfkill

#
# /etc/conf.d/rfkill
# Configuration for the rfkill startup script
#

# List of devices to block on startup (space-separated)
RFKILL_BLOCK=""

# List of devices to unblock on startup (space-separated)
RFKILL_UNBLOCK="all"

# Supported device names are: all, wifi, bluetooth, umb, wimax, wwan, gps and specific device names like phy0, hci0, ...
# See "rfkill list" for available devices
# Examples:
#
# Block all bluetooth devices:
# RFKILL_BLOCK="bluetooth"
#
# Unblock the phy0 wifi device and all wwan devices:
# RFKILL_UNBLOCK="phy0 wwan"

/etc/conf.d/bluetooth

# Bluetooth configuraton file

# Bluetooth services (allowed values are "true" and "false")

# Run the bluetoothd daemon (default: true)
#DAEMON_ENABLE="false"

# Run the sdp daemon (default: false)
# If this is disabled, hcid's internal sdp daemon will be used
#SDPD_ENABLE="true"

# Run the bluetooth HID daemon (default: false)
#HIDD_ENABLE="true"

# Activate rfcomm ports (default: false)
#RFCOMM_ENABLE="true"

# Run bluetooth dial-up networking daemon (default: false)
#DUND_ENABLE="true"

# Run bluetooth PAN daemon (default: false)
#PAND_ENABLE="true"

# rfcomm configuration file (default: /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf)
#RFCOMM_CONFIG="/etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf"

# Options for hidd, dund and pand (default: none)
HIDD_OPTIONS="--server"
#DUND_OPTIONS=""
#PAND_OPTIONS=""

I tried following the wiki but I cannot get past the first step because no device shows up. I looked at gentoo's wiki but the instructions refer to files under /proc and I couldn't translate them for /sys which is where I think the equivalent files would be. (files seem to be directories instead.)

I also tried the instructions at http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_setup_Bluetooth:

echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/bluetooth_enable

I do have the required module (thinkpad_acpi) loaded but even when I try this as root having remembered to unset noclobber, I get "Operation no permitted". I'm not sure why - the file permissions are -rw-r--r-- and the file is owned by root:root. I know some of the files under /sys etc. are not regular files and cannot be written to but this is the method the think wiki suggests for enabling the hotkeys so I'd assumed this file should be writeable.

However, dmesg suggests this method is deprecated:

[ 3129.610450] thinkpad_acpi: deprecated sysfs attribute: access by process with PID 7749
[ 3129.610458] thinkpad_acpi: WARNING: sysfs attribute bluetooth_enable is deprecated and will be removed. Please switch to generic rfkill before year 2010

So I guess that's equivalent to the rfkill thing anyway which only affects soft blocking?

dmesg also includes:

[   18.545243] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.16
[   18.545268] NET: Registered protocol family 31
[   18.545271] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
[   18.545275] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
[   18.545277] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
[   18.545284] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
[   18.546495] i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.3: PCI INT C -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
[   18.546504] ACPI: resource 0000:00:1f.3 [io  0xefa0-0xefbf] conflicts with ACPI region SMBI [io 0xefa0-0xefaf]
[   18.546509] ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use it instead of the native driver
[   18.557856] ACPI: AC Adapter [ACAD] (on-line)
[   18.558655] wmi: Mapper loaded
[   18.585906] Bluetooth: Generic Bluetooth USB driver ver 0.6
[   18.586433] usbcore: registered new interface driver btusb
[   18.592328] atl1c 0000:08:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
[   18.592344] atl1c 0000:08:00.0: setting latency timer to 64

I'd really appreciate any advice or information. I'm really hoping to not only get this working again but to understand (and remember) how it is done so I can repeat as necessary!

Last edited by cfr (2012-03-13 17:56:43)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#2 2012-03-10 03:12:10

cfr

Re: [solved] bios update advice [was reenabling bluetooth]

So the disabling is due either to the latest updates or to something not being restored correctly on my system. dmesg from before my computer went nuts with the previous kernel I was using on 7th March includes:

[    9.194013] thinkpad_acpi: rfkill switch tpacpi_bluetooth_sw: radio is unblocked

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#3 2012-03-10 22:50:57

cfr

I found this http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Th … d-p/668255 from Lenovo. Unfortunately,

echo "enable" >| /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth

works no better for me than for the person who raised the issue with Lenovo in the first place. (I'm not sure about the wwan stuff - I am not sure whether my laptop is supposed to have that or not.)

And yet I did get this working at one point...

The dmesg output posted above suggests that I should possibly be using a different driver. Is there an acpi driver I could try? How would I find this out? I'm not even terribly sure how to figure out the specs of the bluetooth device I have installed.

#4 2012-03-11 01:50:13

cfr

I've finally found a bug report for Ubunutu (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/812866) which looks as if it *might* be related though I'm not certain. If it is, it looks as though the fix involves updating the BIOS. I know there is an update available but the description didn't mention anything relevant.

I have *no* experience with BIOS updates. All I know is, they can go very, very wrong. I do not have Windows available. The machine does not have an optical drive.

The BIOS update appears to come in 2 flavours both of which are marked for Windows OSs only. However, one of these appears to actually be a bootable CD and I don't see how that could be OS specific? http://support.lenovo.com/en_SE/downloa … D=DS019252 The notes even say "The BIOS Update CD can boot the computer disregarding the operating systems" despite the Windows only tags in the download listings.

So I guess that it should be relatively safe to update using this image if you have a USB optical drive, for example. I don't. I've seen work arounds for this situation e.g. http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/BIOS_upda … tical_disk but they all look kind of hair raising... Should I really play it safe and buy a USB optical drive? Or would you try an alternative method first? (I'm not terribly clear what happens if it doesn't work. Could using an alternative method rather than a USB optical drive brick the system? Or would it only do that if trying to upgrade the firmware was going to do that anyway?)

I guess http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/BIOS_upda … untu_10.10 looks manageable in the sense of being something I think I follow at least somewhat. I guess this involves installing the update image under /boot. And that should put an entry "BIOS update" into my ordinary grub2 menu?

Last edited by cfr (2012-03-11 02:31:18)

#5 2012-03-11 13:16:42

hokasch

looks as if it *might* be related though I'm not certain. If it is, it looks as though the fix involves updating the BIOS.

I would double-check if the bios update will fix your issues before anything else (people reporting success on your model?).

Generally, I would think that if you somehow manage to boot it correctly there is no difference anymore to how it was booted (i.e. same as booted from usb cd drive as "intended").
However, the stakes are quite high (brick your bios, you might have a chance with some recovery routine, brick your EC and you have to get the system board resoldered or replaced. Resoldering might or might not be possible, and having the system board replaced will often cost you about as much as the whole laptop did).

Before trying the "alternative" method (loading it with grub) also check if you could rent a usb-cd drive, how much it would cost you or if you could even buy one and return it a day later. If its not very expensive I would certainly prefer that route (once bitten, twice shy I guess).

#6 2012-03-11 15:42:05

cfr

hokasch wrote:

I would double-check if the bios update will fix your issues before anything else (people reporting success on your model?).

The description of the update doesn't mention anything relevant but a few people using Ubuntu have reported the update solving various problems with the firmware including issues related to hard blocked wifi, problems resuming from suspend etc. And yes, they were using my model - at least, they were using the x121e and at least one person was using the same exact model (3045). So it really does look as if the update might solve the problem.

Some people report the update initially causing bluetooth to be blocked. However, it seems that this is because updating the bios is only the first step. To resolve the issues you need to upgrade the bios and then reset everything to the defaults in bios setup. After that, things seem to be working well for people (based on the small number of reports I've found). I take it you can then go back into bios and re-customise things. Somebody even commented that after following these steps, the machine just worked out of the box... as it should... That would certainly be very nice. The firmware it comes with is definitely buggy although it primarily seems to affect people with GPT partitioned disks and/or using UEFI booting. (I'm using both. I want GPT and the firmware doesn't seem to allow booting from GPT in legacy mode...)

Generally, I would think that if you somehow manage to boot it correctly there is no difference anymore to how it was booted (i.e. same as booted from usb cd drive as "intended").
However, the stakes are quite high (brick your bios, you might have a chance with some recovery routine, brick your EC and you have to get the system board resoldered or replaced. Resoldering might or might not be possible, and having the system board replaced will often cost you about as much as the whole laptop did).

What is "EC"? I get complaints about it being unknown in the logs...

Before trying the "alternative" method (loading it with grub) also check if you could rent a usb-cd drive, how much it would cost you or if you could even buy one and return it a day later. If its not very expensive I would certainly prefer that route (once bitten, twice shy I guess).

I think I'll start by seeing if the IT department in work has one. If they do, they might be willing to lend it to me for long enough to flash the bios. Assuming I can get the machine to boot from it. When you say "once bitten...", have you done something like this and bricked a machine?

#7 2012-03-11 16:23:07

hokasch

EC is the embedded controller, and if you brick that one things like the power button might not work anymore. I managed to do this by booting my windows partition for the Bios update and was rewarded with a blue screen during the bios flash. Many Bios include a last-resort rescue method where you attach a floppy drive with the correct bios and hit a magic key combo during startup to re-flash (this is called from some parts of the ROM which are not reflashed during bios updates IIRC). Obviously it doesn't help you much if the laptop does not power up at all.

Anyway, that certainly sounds like a bios update would help with your issues, and the grub method actually seems alright to me (maybe better than doing it on windows..). Still if you have a relatively cheap method of using a usb cdrom drive I would certainly prefer it.

#8 2012-03-11 16:47:03

KingX

cfr wrote:

So I guess that's equivalent to the rfkill thing anyway which only affects soft blocking?

Have you tried using rfkill to unlock the hard lock? It works for hard and soft locks.. atleast for my laptops broadcom wifi chipset. I am not sure about bluetooth but trying doesnt hurt. smile

#9 2012-03-11 18:57:40

cfr

KingX wrote:

Have you tried using rfkill to unlock the hard lock? It works for hard and soft locks.. atleast for my laptops broadcom wifi chipset. I am not sure about bluetooth but trying doesnt hurt. smile

It only affects the soft lock. At least for bluetooth on my machine.

#10 2012-03-11 19:03:32

cfr

hokasch wrote:

EC is the embedded controller, and if you brick that one things like the power button might not work anymore. I managed to do this by booting my windows partition for the Bios update and was rewarded with a blue screen during the bios flash. Many Bios include a last-resort rescue method where you attach a floppy drive with the correct bios and hit a magic key combo during startup to re-flash (this is called from some parts of the ROM which are not reflashed during bios updates IIRC). Obviously it doesn't help you much if the laptop does not power up at all.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not even going to ask what an embedded controller is - I get the general idea, I think.

Anyway, that certainly sounds like a bios update would help with your issues, and the grub method actually seems alright to me (maybe better than doing it on windows..). Still if you have a relatively cheap method of using a usb cdrom drive I would certainly prefer it.

Doing it in Windows isn't an option for me anyway. There's a separate download for that option but it is a non-starter in my case. (The first thing I did to the laptop was wipe Windows. smile ) I'll see what the IT folks say about my query. If they've got an optical drive, I'm pretty sure they'll let me borrow it unless there's some policy prohibiting this. (That wouldn't surprise me but even if there is, I'd be surprised if anybody takes any notice of it. There's a policy prohibiting non-IT staff from changing toner cartridges but nobody takes much notice of that either.) They might not have one, though. I think all the machines at work probably have optical drives.

Last edited by cfr (2012-03-11 19:04:08)

#11 2012-03-13 00:17:27

cfr

In case this is useful to others:

I borrowed a USB optical drive from the IT department at work. I installed cdrkit using pacaman and burnt the iso image using wodim following the instructions for burning isos on the wiki.

I got somewhat confused at this point. The wiki explains how to check a created iso is good by mounting it. Although I hadn't created it, I tried to do this. (Not having checksums for comparison makes me nervous!) I mounted an entirely empty directory. When I tried to unmount, it said it couldn't find the loop device although I used that when mounting. I then used fuse to mount it and again got an empty directory. So I tried mounting the actual cd I'd burnt. Same result. I next downloaded another copy of the iso and diffed it just to try to rule out corruption on download. Diff checked out.

I decided maybe bios updates were weird. wodim had definitely done *something* and it seemed to have burnt it. It reported success... In any case, I figured if I'd really burnt an entirely blank cd, the worst that would happen is it wouldn't boot and that wouldn't be the end of the world.

So I rebooted the machine and went into bios mode, following Lenovo's instructions (I printed these just in case). Before I followed those, I reset all settings to their defaults. I don't know if this was necessary but it seemed it couldn't hurt. I think this wiped the grub2 boot entry. I then made sure the cd drive was above the hard drive in the boot order. I disconnected everything except power and the optical drive. Again, don't know if this was necessary but Macs are sometimes funny about having things connected when booted from test/rescue etc. cds and I thought PCs might be the same. In any case, I didn't think a printer, mouse or ethernet would be much use in bios.

I rebooted and booted from the cd. I read the instructions. I chose the update-system option and followed the instructions. I then sat and stared at it nervously while it seemed to take forever to update. (I don't think it was really very long - I was just worried.) It then said that it might continue to update as it rebooted and that I should leave the cd in until "this screen" showed again. I should then either not remove the cd and reboot to the same screen or I should remove the cd and reboot to something else. (I didn't really get this bit.) I rebooted. I guess "same screen" means "bios update" rather than "system program update". I could not, however, remove the cd. In the end I think I rebooted and went into bios mode. I first reset everything to defaults as I'd read this was necessary to get bluetooth etc. all working properly. I then checked/changed the boot order and everything else and rebooted again. Once I was back at the desktop I managed to unmount the disk (couldn't do this through the gui but worked OK in cli). I then unplugged the drive. I then switched the drive off and on again and was finally able to extract the cd. (I didn't think IT would be too pleased if I returned the drive with a stuck bios updater in it though they'd probably have known better how to extract it.)

And my bluetooth is enabled! (I hope it lasts: I have been here before although it isn't clear how I got there before.)

$ rfkill list
3: hci0: Bluetooth

I ignored the renaming option in the bios updater. I don't know if this was correct but I didn't understand what it was meant to be for so I decided to not touch it.

I am somewhat surprised the machine booted. I thought if it had wiped the grub2 entry from the uefi menu that it wouldn't boot. However, it booted OK. I'd like to put the entry back if I can figure out how, though. Having said that, I'm not entirely sure what the entry does if it isn't necessary to boot.

Adapting the wiki instructions a bit (They must have changed - I followed the wiki in November and now all the names and places are different!):

modprobe efivars
efibootmgr --create --gpt --disk /dev/sda --part 1 --write-signature --label "Arch Linux (GRUB2)" --loader '\EFI\grub\grub.efi'

I used '\EFI\grub\grub.efi' because I don't have arch_grub but only grub and boot. I used grub.efi in place of grubx64.efi because I don't have the latter. I have core.efi and grub.efi. These are identical and also identical to boot/bootx64.efi. I figured grub/grub.efi was the closest match. I used the above even though it is efi/grub/grub.efi because I guess case doesn't matter on a fat 16 partition any more than it would on a fat 32 one?

Last edited by cfr (2012-03-13 00:41:55)

#12 2012-09-14 18:59:06

Strike0

Hi cfr,
Thanks for writing up your experiences. Same x121e model, same bluetooth issue here. The model here came with Bios 1.15 and I have not updated it yet to the latest 1.16 because Lenovo says "downgrading" wont be possible then. Using legacy MBR bios here. 

Works great otherwise. Apart from the hard-blocked bluetooth, the only other issue that bothers so far is that on battery the screen dims (or backlight turns off) after approx.10 mins if just watching it. My google-fu is struggling with finding the right acpi-tweak to that, but I have not tried all thinkpad_acpi parameters available yet ..

Can you quote sometime the actual Bios version you use now which made the bluetooth work with default settings?
Thanks.

#13 2012-09-14 22:11:27

cfr

So the update to 1.15 allowed it to work after resetting the bios to default settings. (You don't have to leave the settings as default - you just have to load the defaults and save them. After rebooting, you can reconfigure your bios settings and bluetooth should keep working - until next time you have to do it, anyway.)  1.16 is similar.

The iso image for 1.15 was called 8quj08uc.iso.

The actual bios name varies by machine. For 3045, 3048, 3049, 2338, 2339, 2340 with BIOS ID 8Qxxxxxx:

Package  BIOS  (BIOS ID)   ECP   (ECP ID)      Rev.  Issue Date
  -------  ----------------  ----------------    ----  ----------
  1.15     1.15  (8QET54WW)  1.09  (8QHT21WW)    01    2012/01/20

For 1.16, the iso was called 8quj09uc.iso. For 3045, 3048, 3049, 2338, 2339, 2340 with BIOS ID 8Qxxxxxx:

Package  BIOS  (BIOS ID)   ECP   (ECP ID)      Rev.  Issue Date
  -------  ----------------  ----------------    ----  ----------
  1.16     1.16  (8QET55WW)  1.10  (8QHT22WW)    01    2012/04/12

I upgraded to 1.16 trying to cure a problem with stuttering on reboot. (It didn't help though but the problem is currently not apparent - I don't know if that means it was Linux related and an upgrade solved it or something else.)

#14 2012-09-15 08:54:45

Strike0

Hm, ok, thanks for the quick reply.

As I wrote the model here came with the version 1.15 already (which unblocked it in your case). I have already tried the "set to defaults" on that version. In fact I have also tried to reflash it with the same version 1.15, but the update utility just stated "already on latest version" and exited. I will see what it does, if I set to defaults first and run the update utility again. Luckily its only bluetooth hardblocked, so it's not a matter of urgency here really.

I will add here, if I get it to work. Thanks again.

#15 2012-09-15 21:50:00

cfr

Reading my description now, I'm puzzled. When I updated to 1.16 - in fact, any time I reset bios to defaults even when not upgrading - I render the machine unbootable because it wipes the efibootmgr entry. No idea how I could have booted despite that before...

@Strike0,
Has bluetooth ever worked? Even before I upgraded to 1.15, it *sometimes* showed up OK - just it wouldn't last and nothing would then get back except some randomness.

Do you have the same model as me? (3045CTO from memory.) If not, you might want to check whether there is any other issue with your model which might affect things (e.g. needs firmware or whatever).

I suppose you could always try upgrading the bios to 1.16 but I understand your reluctance to risk that - especially when it is bluetooth and not, say, wifi (or whatever equivalent thing really matters in your case - wifi is pretty crucial for me; bluetooth I can always live without).

#16 2012-09-15 23:18:03

WonderWoofy

I didn't read the whole thread, but I saw towards the beginning yu were trying

cfr wrote:

echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/bluetooth_enable

Try this instead

$ echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/bluetooth_enable

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2012-09-15 23:29:59)

#17 2012-09-16 02:13:16

cfr

Hmm... I can't try that now because bluetooth is currently working. But is there any reason that should work when the other does not work (even as root)? (Even unsetting noclobber or using >| as root...)

My suspicion is that the command only works for soft-unblocking and so fails if the device is hard-blocked. (But I would very much like to be wrong about this.)

#18 2012-09-16 05:18:54

WonderWoofy

I know it is working, but I figured it would be useful for future instances.  I am not sure why it works when other ways will not.  But i find when I am not able to su or sudo it, the tee command always seems to work.  If you aren't familiar, tee simply doubles the output.  So for instance, in that case it would change the variable in bluetooth_enable while also printing to stdout.  So you could in theory, then pipe that same value/string to another file. 

Again, I am not entirely sure why it seems to more fequently work, but it does.

#19 2012-09-16 11:08:05

Strike0

Thanks for the suggestion WonderWoofy, but it makes no difference here. Whichever incarnation (with or without tee) I try, it comes back with "operation not permitted".

#20 2012-09-16 15:58:26

cfr

It is interesting that the tee incarnation sometimes works for you when su/sudo doesn't. I wonder why. (I know what tee does - I just couldn't figure out why you thought that might succeed when apparently more straightforward ways of doing the same thing don't. But now it makes sense. At least, it makes sense why you think that. It still doesn't explain why it might work, of course!)

Thanks. I'll give it a shot next time...

#21 2013-03-26 00:04:29

cfr

cfr wrote:
$ rfkill list
3: hci0: Bluetooth

OK Revisiting this as I'm without bluetooth again. The line WonderWoofy suggested has no effect except that bluetooth shows as soft blocked as well as hard blocked afterwards in rfkill's list.

I don't know whether this is relevant or not but when bluetooth fails to work, the third device (hci0) is missing altogether. I have no idea what this means or what to do about it or if, indeed, it means anything at all...

Board footer