You are not logged in.

#26 2012-09-17 15:26:22

nierro
Member
From: Milan, Italy
Registered: 2011-09-02
Posts: 807

Re: Dimdaemon - A simple backlight-dimming daemon for laptops

Debugging it better: it seems it reads the same settings whether on ac or on battery, when relative=true.
Tried with this conf file:

# idledd configuration file

# enter time in sec
# use bool for active
# set dim in percentage of maximum screenbrightness 
# The display name is in /sys/class/backlight/
# The power supply name is in /sys/class/power_supply/
# Set relative to true if you want that dimdaemon dinamically dims your screen brightness; only an AC values will be used (but undimpercet obviously).

# eviroment
enviroment:
{
userhome = "/home/federico";
displayname = "acpi_video0";
powersupplyname = "ADP1";
relative = true;
}
# on AC
ac:
{
active = true;
undimpercent = 100;
dimtime = 10;
dimpercent = 50;
turnofftime = 20;
};
# on Battery
battery:
{
active = true;
undimpercent = 30;
dimtime = 5;
dimpercent = 10;
turnofftime = 105;
};

The result is, whether i'm on ac or battery, after 10 seconds my screen brightness is lowered by 50% (from 8 to 4). (as if it only reads settings from ac. May be you are aware of this, and this is not a bug but you decided to do so.)
When relative=false, it works normally, as yesterday did.
EDIT:

only an AC values will be used (but undimpercet obviously).

As i thought, sorry, i should have read that before post!
Then, my request is to extend the new "relative" feature even to battery. I don't think it will be hard, and it can be useful to have my screen dimmed after "x" time, when x is lower while on battery than while on ac.
EDIT2: i don't know how you handle turnofftime. But i noticed that after my screen turns black, if i move my cursor, the screen has the same brightness as when it is dimmed (50%) for an instant, then it get undimmed to my previous brightness. Could it be better, as the screen is turned off, to write the undimmed brightness to /sys/class/acpi_video0/brightness, so as soon as the user does something, the screen backlight is set to the default?
Sorry, i'm bothersome, i know smile

Last edited by nierro (2012-09-17 15:49:22)

Offline

#27 2012-09-17 17:00:50

punkeroso
Member
From: Rome, Italy
Registered: 2007-01-19
Posts: 104

Re: Dimdaemon - A simple backlight-dimming daemon for laptops

nierro wrote:

[...]
The result is, whether i'm on ac or battery, after 10 seconds my screen brightness is lowered by 50% (from 8 to 4). (as if it only reads settings from ac. May be you are aware of this, and this is not a bug but you decided to do so.)
When relative=false, it works normally, as yesterday did.
EDIT:

only an AC values will be used (but undimpercet obviously).

As i thought, sorry, i should have read that before post!
Then, my request is to extend the new "relative" feature even to battery. I don't think it will be hard, and it can be useful to have my screen dimmed after "x" time, when x is lower while on battery than while on ac.
EDIT2: i don't know how you handle turnofftime. But i noticed that after my screen turns black, if i move my cursor, the screen has the same brightness as when it is dimmed (50%) for an instant, then it get undimmed to my previous brightness. Could it be better, as the screen is turned off, to write the undimmed brightness to /sys/class/acpi_video0/brightness, so as soon as the user does something, the screen backlight is set to the default?
Sorry, i'm bothersome, i know smile

Anyone developing something should have someone like you!!
I haven't tried yet, but now it should really works as you expect!
Let me know if it's everything all right!!
Thanks for the support!

Offline

#28 2012-09-17 17:04:51

nierro
Member
From: Milan, Italy
Registered: 2011-09-02
Posts: 807

Re: Dimdaemon - A simple backlight-dimming daemon for laptops

I'm really glad to help you! Well, you're really helping me indeed wink
So, dimdaemon + calise will be my new screen' energy manager! Wonderful, it was right what i was looking for!
Thank you very much!

Offline

#29 2012-09-17 18:41:17

nierro
Member
From: Milan, Italy
Registered: 2011-09-02
Posts: 807

Re: Dimdaemon - A simple backlight-dimming daemon for laptops

You probably forgot a figure in new dimdaemon.conf: "dimpercent" while on battery is set to 0. smile

Offline

#30 2012-09-19 21:40:04

punkeroso
Member
From: Rome, Italy
Registered: 2007-01-19
Posts: 104

Re: Dimdaemon - A simple backlight-dimming daemon for laptops

nierro wrote:

You probably forgot a figure in new dimdaemon.conf: "dimpercent" while on battery is set to 0. smile

It's not a mistake...that's my personal dimdaemon.conf. Issuing 0 to the brightness level file, on my vaio, makes the brightness go to the lowest level.

Offline

#31 2012-09-20 07:51:59

nierro
Member
From: Milan, Italy
Registered: 2011-09-02
Posts: 807

Re: Dimdaemon - A simple backlight-dimming daemon for laptops

Oh ok, thanks for your time! smile

Offline

#32 2013-04-04 17:19:38

nierro
Member
From: Milan, Italy
Registered: 2011-09-02
Posts: 807

Re: Dimdaemon - A simple backlight-dimming daemon for laptops

Hi! Months passed but i'm here again smile
Only two little things:
1) rc.d script is no longer useful (arch uses systemd as default, so it does not make sense to ship an old rc script)
2) have you ever think to ship an udev rule instead to allow users in "video" ("wheel" would be better) group to change screen brightness? By this way, users could run dimdaemon as non-privileged user, and launch it e.g. from .xinitrc (or DE session manager), and you could stop shipping systemd service file.
Have a look how calise maintainer manages it: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ca/calise/PKGBUILD .
Hope you'll find this useful!
Again, thank you very much for this software, i recently switched to openbox and I'm finding dimdaemon great smile

Offline

#33 2013-09-27 15:16:12

punkeroso
Member
From: Rome, Italy
Registered: 2007-01-19
Posts: 104

Re: Dimdaemon - A simple backlight-dimming daemon for laptops

nierro wrote:

Hi! Months passed but i'm here again smile
Only two little things:
1) rc.d script is no longer useful (arch uses systemd as default, so it does not make sense to ship an old rc script)
2) have you ever think to ship an udev rule instead to allow users in "video" ("wheel" would be better) group to change screen brightness? By this way, users could run dimdaemon as non-privileged user, and launch it e.g. from .xinitrc (or DE session manager), and you could stop shipping systemd service file.
Have a look how calise maintainer manages it: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ca/calise/PKGBUILD .
Hope you'll find this useful!
Again, thank you very much for this software, i recently switched to openbox and I'm finding dimdaemon great smile

Hi nierro,
many months have passed big_smile I've been really busy with the master thesis and, after that, with finding (and keeping !) a job.

Regarding the questions above, with the next release I'll remove the .rc file.

Regarding, instead, the systemd unit, I think that dimdaemon, being a real deamon, should be started and stopped through systemd.

I was thinking about adding the ability to run any given command after a given amount of time. In this way, the daemon would be able, for example, to suspend the laptop if not used for half an hour! I think that could be very useful!

I hope to made this changes as soon as possibile!

Bye

Last edited by punkeroso (2013-09-27 15:16:26)

Offline

#34 2013-09-27 17:47:01

nierro
Member
From: Milan, Italy
Registered: 2011-09-02
Posts: 807

Re: Dimdaemon - A simple backlight-dimming daemon for laptops

Thanks for the response smile
And, btw...most important thing is: good luck with your job wink
Here in italy is kind of...hard to find one atm.

Offline

#35 2016-01-02 11:09:10

punkeroso
Member
From: Rome, Italy
Registered: 2007-01-19
Posts: 104

Re: Dimdaemon - A simple backlight-dimming daemon for laptops

Hi everyone,

I've just submitted dimdaemon to the AUR 4 platform.
Hope this package is still useful for someone big_smile

Let me know if something is wrong

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB