You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-02 22:59:53

Eugenia
Website

.la compilation problem

I have a problem with glib. I tried to recompile logjam (so it will use the new libsoup) and it now spits an error during linking:

libtool: link: cannot find the library `/home/eugenia/Desktop/Downloads/glib-2.8.2/glib/libglib-2.0.la'

This is a VERY weird problem, because the glib folder this error refers to was never installed system-wide. I simply downloaded glib the other day, extracted it, configured it with --prefix=/usr and 'make' it, but I NEVER ran a "make install". So why in the love of God, libtool tries to find THAT glib folder that was never installed and not the system's glib 2.8.1? I also re-installed Arch's glib version to no avail. Libtool is still trying to find the local one... Any ideas what's going on and how to fix it?

#2 2005-10-02 23:10:12

Eugenia
Website

Re: .la compilation problem

well, the problem went away after i had to manually compile glib2, *and* install it. And then upgrade with arch's glib2 on top... hmm

This ain't gonna be pretty, that's for sure.

On a similar tone, trying to compile Gnome Power Manager it says:
libtool: link: cannot find the library `/usr/lib/libpopt.la'
make[4]: *** [gnome-power-manager] Error 1

Any idea if this is Arch's fault or Gnome Power Manager's? I know that the .la files has been removed from Arch, but the question remains: what does the developer has to do to not require those?

#3 2005-10-03 21:59:17

Eugenia
Website

Re: .la compilation problem

ok, Jan found the problem. It's libnotify which needs to also get slayed from its .la files (if you get the same compilation errors, just delete the /usr/lib/libnotify.la file).

Board footer