You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-17 22:04:23

NorthBridge

E17 fails to start when not run as root

Greetings smile

I'm a relatively new user to Arch Linux, although I've been running it on my laptop for some time and enjoyed it. Long story short, these days I decided to put it as a main OS on my desktop machine. Everything was OK, the system booted fine and the X server was working lovely, until I decided to put in E17 (from the days of OpenGEU, that's still my favourite WM). The problem is, if I start it from the root acc, it starts without problems and works out-of-the-box. But when I start it with a normal account, it starts the X server and then dies (yeah, great, so close...).

The first thing that came to mind was file permissions, but anything I managed to find in the enlightenment folders was world readable. I tried starting it with the SLiM manager instead of startx (.xinitrc's on both accounts contain only "exec enlightenment_start"), copied the root's .e folder in the user' one, even tried "xinit /usr/bin/enlightenment" - nothing of these worked.

Log of the root starting session: http://pastebin.com/JK6gmyui
Log of the user starting session: http://pastebin.com/G3ru1aCR

When I read the logs, my first thought was the system was hanging because of the e_randr error, but it exists in the root logs too, so this couldn't be the problem. Apparently something's screwing up on e_ipc loading, but I've absolutely no clue why.

I'll be really, really grateful to anyone who has the patience to try and help me get to the bottom of this, since I don't like the perspective of making the root account my every day acc only because of E17. smile

Thanks in advance (:

#2 2012-09-17 22:32:52

mike_r

Re: E17 fails to start when not run as root

How are you starting e17? I have the following in .xinitrc

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch enlightenment_start

then I just use startx. The consolekit stuff seems to fix a lot of permission issues. If you start it from a display manager, then I can't help directly, but you should still have a look at permission/consolekit issues. Good luck.

Mike

Linux User #353 - SLS -> Slackware -> Red Hat -> Mandrake -> Fedora -> Arch

#3 2012-09-17 22:47:58

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

A more informative log would be /var/log/Xorg.0.log wouldn't it? I would try adding my user to the video group and creating an xorg.conf "DRI" section with "Mode 0666".

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

#4 2012-09-18 00:08:16

NorthBridge

mike_r wrote:

How are you starting e17? I have the following in .xinitrc

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch enlightenment_start

then I just use startx. The consolekit stuff seems to fix a lot of permission issues. If you start it from a display manager, then I can't help directly, but you should still have a look at permission/consolekit issues. Good luck.

Mike

Normally I use .xinitrc directly with startx, just like you. I tried to start it from SLiM (as it handles automatically ck), but it didn't help. Neither adding dbus-launch in .xinitrc did.

ConnorBehan wrote:

A more informative log would be /var/log/Xorg.0.log wouldn't it?

Well...now that I think about it...sure smile

Anyway, my user acc is in the video group, and adding the DRI section to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-quirks.conf didn't help as well.

Here's the Xorg.0.log from the crash: http://pastebin.com/gmnnyu80

#5 2012-09-19 07:40:06

NorthBridge

Running startx together with sudo made it...but still...

Is E17 really meant to be run each time as root or with root privileges?

#6 2012-09-20 20:04:28

mike_r

Definitely not meant to be run as root. I've got e17 on a desktop (nvidia driver), a laptop (also nvidia driver), and my old eeepc 701 (intel driver) and don't have this issue on any of them. I don't have any suggestions, but somewhere there is a permission problem.

What variation of e17 are you running? I'm using the e-svn-arche17, etc. packages rather than the snapshots, though I don't see how this might be your problem.

Mike

#7 2012-09-20 20:58:51

NorthBridge

I'm using the one from the community repo (e-svn + e-modules-svn), since it's updated more often than the AUR package.

Do you have any clue to how can I trace it if it's really a permission problem?

#8 2012-09-21 16:27:04

mike_r

I'm not a guru (I was hoping one would have stepped in by now!) so I can't suggest much beyond the usual recommendations:

Have a look through /var/log/messages - I get a few lines like

Sep 21 07:45:34 localhost dbus[718]: [system] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit' (using servicehelper)
Sep 21 07:45:34 localhost dbus[718]: [system] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1' (using servicehelper)
Sep 21 07:45:34 localhost polkitd[949]: started daemon version 0.105 using authority implementation `local' version `0.105'
Sep 21 07:45:34 localhost dbus[718]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1'
Sep 21 07:45:34 localhost dbus[718]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit'

that seem to indicate things are happy.

You've already posted your /var/log/Xorg.0.log - the only thing that caught my eye there was the vesa module load failure, but I'm assuming that is okay since the intel module was loaded later.

Also have a look through the output of dmesg - mine doesn't show anything of interest, but I'm not having the trouble.

Unfortunately, that's about as far as I can go. To be honest, all this *Kit/dbus stuff baffles the heck out of me. I'm an old-timer, so I never saw the need to go any farther than the original Unix permission flags. Anyway, the fact that you can run it as root but not as a normal user really smells like a permission flag, group membership, or rule problem. I just don't know where better to point you.

Mike

BTW, the e-svn-arche17 packages I use pull in the very latest subversion level every time they are run and compiles it fresh, so they are always the bleeding-est edge stuff. Even if the packages themselves don't change very often, what they produce does. However, I doubt very much that this is the problem.

#9 2012-09-21 16:33:10

mike_r

Just for yucks, also check the permissions of your .e configuration folder

ls -ld .e

Make sure you are the actual owner, not root. Then have a look at all the subdirectories.

Mike

Board footer