You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-03 20:14:53

Krotn

Acer Aspire One 725 Compatibility

I'm looking into getting myself a netbook for this coming school year and I would like to install Arch on it (probably next to the preinstalled Windows).
Amazon
Newegg (more detailed specs)

Basic Specs:
    AMD C-60 dual core (1 GHz)
    AMD Radeon HD 6290
    2GB DDR3 RAM

From googling it looks like some people had problems with the touchpad (Elantech) but managed to solve them (here). The wifi card is also broadcom, I think.

Am I likely to run into any huge problems with Arch on this netbook? Will I be able to get things working?

Thanks for your help.

#2 2012-08-03 20:37:21

Gusar

Re: Acer Aspire One 725 Compatibility

We need to see "lscpi -nn" and "lsusb" output. Only then can we know for sure if network devices and such are supported.

A quick google search finds this, which says the wireless is BCM43228. I think you'll need to use the closed source wl driver for it, which could be an issue. Some patches to enable support in the open-source driver will enter the 3.6-rc2 kernel, but I don't know if they're enough to get the thing running.

#3 2012-09-18 13:49:28

bulat

Re: Acer Aspire One 725 Compatibility

Hello all.

I have got this netbook. The main issue that I have found so far is that brightness keys are not working in Linux. By default backlight is controlled through ACPI, it has all nedeed files in /sys/class/brightness/acpi0, but changing brightness is not working. I have tried to use "acpi_backlight=vendor" parameter in kernel command line, but it either does not help.

Wireless adapter in mine netbook is Atheros AR9285, so it is mostly works OK.

Board footer