You are not logged in.

#2651 2012-09-13 00:51:30

riverc4c

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello,
    Great to be here. On and off Linux user since the early 90's (Started with Slackware). Got back into this last week and was able to install the distro with Gnome3 pretty quickly considering me being very rusty. I have to say, this is a great distro. I tried Ubuntu (wanted to see what all the fuzz was all about), that lasted half a day -- very dissapointed with how slow and bloated that was and am now enjoying Arch. I must say, after installing this to my liking, I feel brushed up on Linux and feel as if I'm up to date with the new stuff that the last 6 years has brought on.

#2652 2012-09-13 06:21:31

Dante12

Hello Arch-Community,

Glad to be here. Long time ago (thinking early 90s) beginning with Debian and several other Distro's like Gentoo, Sabayon and Fedora I was for about five years inactive in the linux Community. Reading here for several weeks ago I thought it's time for me to start new experiment with Archlinux because I found his KISS principal very clear. As (for me) new Beginner turned for two days ago to systemd with your excellent Wiki without problems.

Regain my Skills with zsh and scripting I hope I can help in near Future this Community growing up.

Thanks,
Dante

P.S: Sorry for my bad Language I'm not English hope you understood my post with a little smile of my bad Grammar.

#2653 2012-09-13 09:53:58

plustwo

hello everybody,

name is oupa aka PlusTwo and i'm from South Africa. :-)

i'm 4 months using Archlinux moving away from Ubuntu distro. I must say, Arch has been behaving very well so far and I'm starting to have less stress since using it. Installation is very straight forward and to the point (Beginners'_Guide). The distro is very fruitful, and hope the community is very helpful as well. I'm looking forward to start porting some of my favourite apps to Arch if they are not ported yet. Would also like to contribute or help where possible....!

tnx
PlusTwo

#2654 2012-09-14 01:45:35

saangreal

Hello everyone, really enjoying creeping all over the forums so far. Used a few different distro's before, never for very long, for a variety of reasons.I only have very VERY basic linux knowledge. So of course, i picked arch to really settle down on, because i'm stubborn and like a challenge.

#2655 2012-09-14 19:21:10

srilinux

Hello to Arch Linux users,

I am a newbee archlinux user. I am trying to install arch linux on my new desktop as I heard of its simplicity and easy maintenance. I am however an intermediate linux user, but very much interested in learning arch linux. I am facing tough time to get it installed on my desktop, which has a RAID 1  hardware. The installation process itself was elegant which encouraged me to stick to arch linux. However, it seems presently I can't pass the initial hurdle of getting it working. Is there a simple guide explaining the installation with hardware RAID-1 configured harddisks ?

#2656 2012-09-14 20:55:47

linbynd

Hello Everyone..

I am from India... and been a Sys Admin, Mostly for Redhat/Suse/Ubuntu Servers... Reading posts on these pages... Gives me the sense that everyone here is for one cause and thats to know linux from the ground up and probably that's why I see people coming from Redhat/Ubuntu mix distro's to Arch...Probably this the reason why Arch is going to stay for a long time coz of its philosophy (Simplicity - from the technical Point). I fell in love with Linux and now goin to marry Arch... smile big_smile

#2657 2012-09-15 16:25:47

kelvinh

Hello guys,

I am new to Arch Linux, I installed Arch on my macbook air and now I am studying configuring stumpwm as my WM, hope to learn from you and learn together smile

Regards,
Kelvin

#2658 2012-09-15 19:03:41

thediamondsaint

Well hello, I am Sa\[i\]nT.

I am an avid installer of linux systems, I am kinda addicted to it. This laptop has seen more than it's fair share of different OS'es. Arch has slowed me down to a crawl, I simply love this OS. I am using the MATE wm having installed pure Arch. Which took a while as it is not a conventional install, but I learned a lot from the install and using Arch in general.

I am a windows programmer at hobby, doing mostly win32/winapi/MFC, etc. I am looking now for something steady and stable like that to focus in on linux.

P.s. Pacman is a great tool, I suggest pacmatic as well.

#2659 2012-09-15 19:30:06

vjm

Hello everybody!

A long time SuSE / openSUSE user here wondering about the colour of the grass on this side of the fence...which seems to be whatever I make it. Nice!

All the best,
Vesa

#2660 2012-09-16 01:23:31

YYaaSSeeRR

hi all
I am an Arch user now because I'm done with Windows & I feel like I'm not learning anything with Ubuntu or openSUSE.

best regards;

#2661 2012-09-16 08:39:14

Oniz

Hi guys,
I'm 19 and I started using linux about 4 yrs ago. I've started from Mandriva 2008 and I didn't like it so much. After Mandriva I've started using Ubuntu and I still using it on my PC and notebook. I had fun with other distro like CentOS, Debian, Backtrack (still having a live cd always with me).
Now I have a RasperryPi with ArchLinux on it and that's why I'm on this forum.
This distro is really stable and light on my Pi and I love pacman as command :-)

See you on the forum!

#2662 2012-09-17 09:00:32

bboldi
Website

Hi smile just saying hello to this great community! I hope I'll be a useful part of it ...

#2663 2012-09-17 20:52:01

stes

Hi everybody,

I started to use Linux Mint a year ago because I got tired of Win7, switched to Ubuntu quite soon (because I really like Unity) and finally decided to try out Arch.
Setting up the system took some time, but it was definitely worth it ;-)

Steffen

"You can recognize a really good idea by the fact that it's realization seems to be impossible in the first place." -
"Eine wirklich gute Idee erkennt man daran, dass ihre Verwirklichung von vornherein ausgeschlossen erschien."
(Albert Einstein)

#2664 2012-09-18 09:29:35

windingload

Hi all!

I've immigrated from Macintosh OS. Macintosh is great UNIX environment but I want to create my own desktop like every arch lover upload their cool desktop.
And I love coding all-time. I just study to use computer language. GNU/Linux is great about freedom. My promised land is creating great stuff like all great hacker does. And I love to use latest thing. Arch linux is perfect to me. So I want to make some stuff with arch linux. My English is terrible but please communicate with me. :-P

Sincerely,

tongue

#2665 2012-09-18 11:46:06

Pimmmo

Hello everyone,

I've just installed arch linux on my old pc using the beginners guide. Now I hope I can make my own personal desktop someday big_smile
But for now just learning a lot about the (arch) linux system smile

#2666 2012-09-18 15:56:44

flockyrocky

Hello guys,
I finally chose Arch instead of other distributions because it has the most detailed documents and fantastic community.
I learned a lot from here, and I hope I can help others, too.

#2667 2012-09-19 13:28:47

stozi

I just did my second ever Arch install, the first one was about 3 years ago on a Via PicoITX, this is on an Asus EeePC with poulsbo. Nonetheless, setup was pretty simple, I've gotten absolutely everything working, bar nothing, in a couple days, without needing help. I guess both Arch and I have improved in 3 years. I've never had a computer work so well. I'd consider moving up to programs like UZBL etc, but there just seems to be too much to remember for someone who isn't an IT professional or severe hobbyist. Very satisfied.

#2668 2012-09-19 20:10:33

alephomega

I've probably read a help thread on this forum once a week for the past 4 years... Decided I should sign up. I think I may finally know enough to be useful around here. smile

#2669 2012-09-20 12:58:34

omid

Hi archers,
My name is Omid. After leaving slavery in Windows and wandering for two years through the wilderness of Ubuntu, Mint, and Fedora, I finally landed on the promised land of Arch Linux last week. In this week of experience, I have learned so much, and that is because of the philosophy of arch that force you politely to understand what is behind the curtain. I managed to install a fresh fast, stable and good looking system just by following the wiki. Arch wiki rocks.
Thank you guys.

#2670 2012-09-20 23:29:06

DonTonberry

So I finally got Arch installed on my desktop after some messing around on the virtualbox and paying attention to the wiki.  I like it, chose KDE everything seems fine which is awesome since I installed Arch on a hard drive that no other Linux distro was working on, everything else would freeze up for some reason.  I've been using Linux for a while now after my laptop hard drive died and I didn't want to buy windows.  Mainly used the "user friendly" ones like Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc.  This was a lot of fun, it wasn't as easy as installing some of the others, but when I installed Ubuntu for example, I didn't get a sense of accomplishment like I did with Arch.  I have been playing around with different distros, right now we have Mint with Cinnamon on the laptop, Lubuntu on my wife's netbook, #! (Crunchbang) on my other hard drive and now, Arch.  I don't have any problems with it yet and when/if I do, I promise to search the forums/google before asking for help.  I've been trying to learn how to Linux and this has definitely helped.  I'm reading up on Linux trying to give myself a base knowledge of the commands and systems.  Thank you to everyone who put together the Wiki, the Forums and Arch!

#2671 2012-09-20 23:33:59

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Welcome.

Merging with the Official Hello Everyone thread...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#2672 2012-09-22 17:09:56

blair

Hello,

I'm a pkgsrc (and NetBSD) developer who's been inactive for way too long.  I've been nominally aware of your distribution for years, but have only tried it as of late--my loss!

Truly, this is the only linux distribution that I actually enjoy working with.  My skills have regrettably atrophied over the years, but ultimately I hope to contribute to e.g. pkgsrc integration.

On what grounds would a system administrator choose any other distribution?  Finally, a bastion of sanity in a sea of mediocrity and creeping "featureism".  Glad to be here, because this is unequivocally where it's at.

Cheers,

--Blair

#2673 2012-09-22 22:56:41

sitquietly

blair wrote:

Hello,

I'm a pkgsrc (and NetBSD) developer who's been inactive ..... Truly, this [Archlinux] is the only linux distribution that I actually enjoy working with.  My skills have regrettably atrophied over the years, but ultimately I hope to contribute to e.g. pkgsrc integration. .....

@Blair
Welcome netbsd guy!  NetBSD was my home for a couple of years or three, after a couple of years with Gentoo.  I found my way to Archlinux too.  I do love pkgsrc, what an amazing use of makefiles smile  And Gentoo has an amazing build system using python, and Arch has a dead simple system (well, not much of _build_ system but a nice package manager for binary packages).  I hope you'll find a way to bring pkgsrc goodness into our build system...

#2674 2012-09-23 00:50:59

hydn
Website

Hello, I've been a lurker for a least a year now. Finally decided to dump #! and install Arch on my x301. Its been awesome so far!  I've been searching the forums and wiki and have been able to solve everything without needing to post here. Now as a forum owner just imagine if everyone did that, we would have no forum! lol or at least not as busy. jk

Linux Performance Blog: http://haydenjames.io/

#2675 2012-09-24 05:43:18

mariocr27
Website

Hello From Costa Rica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Board footer