You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-19 05:14:52

wolfcore

Lenovo Ideapad z580 only charges to 60% [SOLVED]

I've been staring at i3bar for a while now, It seems like my battery is only charging up to 56.58%, then stopping. I am running a couple of laptop-power daemons with default settings...

acpid
cpupower

some info:

~ % acpi -i
Battery 0: Unknown, 56%
Battery 0: design capacity 4040 mAh, last full capacity 4038 mAh = 99%

To be honest, I haven't really looked too far into this issue as I just noticed this about half an hour ago (installed this Arch on a new laptop a couple of days ago), but I wanted to post this before I went off to bed to maybe get some opinions/comments on what this might be.

Last edited by wolfcore (2012-09-20 05:00:29)

#2 2012-09-19 06:11:52

WonderWoofy

Re: Lenovo Ideapad z580 only charges to 60% [SOLVED]

I am not sure why this works, or if it will work for your machine, but with my computer I read somwhere that this can be fixed by removing the battery with the machine off and plugged in.  Now hold the power button for a bit (20-30sec?) unplug and continue to hold (20-30 again), still holding plug it back in and hold (same amount).  Let 'er rip.  When you remove your finger it should start up.  So let it get going for a second and then put the battery back in.

I also read somwhere else that someone is able to fix this by simply holding the power button for a good while with no battery and no power cable. 

From what I understand, the method I suggested is what is used to reset a router.  It has something to do with flash having a tendency to hold its state, so an extra long 'reset hold' is needed.  No idea if that applies in this case though.  All I know is that my battery now charges to 100%, and when it sometimes borks when I change batteries, I can fix it this way.

#3 2012-09-20 05:00:18

wolfcore

WonderWoofy wrote:

I am not sure why this works, or if it will work for your machine, but with my computer I read somwhere that this can be fixed by removing the battery with the machine off and plugged in.  Now hold the power button for a bit (20-30sec?) unplug and continue to hold (20-30 again), still holding plug it back in and hold (same amount).  Let 'er rip.  When you remove your finger it should start up.  So let it get going for a second and then put the battery back in.

This worked. The only  thing that was different was that when I let go of the power button, the laptop didn't turn on so I had to press it a second time. Now it is charged almost to 100! Thanks, marking this solved.

#4 2012-09-20 05:40:03

WonderWoofy

Good to know that this works for others as well.  Not I can recommend with a bit more confidence.

Board footer