You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-20 16:28:16

lilsirecho
Veteran

Systemd wiki

Not desiring to modify the wiki per se but do find it confusing at the point where the (init=/bin/systemd) is to be removed, along with sysvinit and initscripts, followed by systemd-sysvcompat.  Because the sequence of operations was precluded by including (init=/bin/bash) as an entry in the linux line at boot, there is no need to remove it because it wont be there on reboot.  Or does the wiki mean to actually perform a remove operation on that item?

In my experience it didn't need removal but I note others have rebooted to remove that statement.  Since it places the operations in systemd it is required during this install phase but disappears on reboot after the systemd is fully installed.

Another item follows:

A suggestion is herein presented to add details to help understand that the service files are entered into ....systemd/system...are acted upon by the appropriate activity directory within ..system... to perform the functions provided by the service files added.  Sym links appear in the appropriate system directories following the commands given with....systemctl enable (name...service).

This added info makes the wiki more clearly outlined and delineated and better understood.

FWIW

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2012-09-20 17:14:15

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Systemd wiki

Wikis are decentralized and are for and owned by users.  Go ahead and modify it per your suggestions.  At the very least, start this on the systemd discussion wiki page so peeps can see it.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2012-09-20 17:48:33

Scimmia
Fellow

lilsirecho wrote:

Not desiring to modify the wiki per se but do find it confusing at the point where the (init=/bin/systemd) is to be removed, along with sysvinit and initscripts, followed by systemd-sysvcompat.  Because the sequence of operations was precluded by including (init=/bin/bash) as an entry in the linux line at boot, there is no need to remove it because it wont be there on reboot.  Or does the wiki mean to actually perform a remove operation on that item?

In my experience it didn't need removal but I note others have rebooted to remove that statement.  Since it places the operations in systemd it is required during this install phase but disappears on reboot after the systemd is fully installed.

When the wiki says to put the init line in your kernel parameters in your bootloader, that means in grub.conf or syslinux.conf, not a real time edit. During the conversion, you're probably going to be rebooting a number of times to make sure things are working while transferring things to systemd, it's usually simpler to just modify the config file than modify the boot line every time you reboot. When I did it, I would disable a couple of daemons in rc.conf and enable them in systemd, then reboot to make sure they were working as expected. Only after everything was running fine with a blank rc.conf (and rc.local) did I move on, knowing that initscrips was doing nothing anymore.

btw, I assume the init=/bin/bash was a typo. If not, I don't understand your post.

lilsirecho wrote:

A suggestion is herein presented to add details to help understand that the service files are entered into ....systemd/system...are acted upon by the appropriate activity directory within ..system... to perform the functions provided by the service files added.  Sym links appear in the appropriate system directories following the commands given with....systemctl enable (name...service).

This added info makes the wiki more clearly outlined and delineated and better understood.

Sounds like a good suggestion to me, always good to help people understand what's happening.

Last edited by Scimmia (2012-09-20 17:51:55)

#4 2012-09-20 23:45:11

lilsirecho
Veteran

Scimmia:

Thanks for comments.

Basically, even though you reboot many times ( and have to put the init in the kernel line each time), the last thing you do is to remove sysvinit and initscripts and install systemd-sysvcompat.  No need to concern oneself with init=/bin/bash(unless you made it permanent) because systemd has control  Granted that you can make it permanent so you reboot without needing to reinsert, but that isn't the suggested method in the wiki.  As is usual, new things to work through generate a learning process, especially with new nomenclature and replacing familiar items mixed together with new ones.

Greater insight into systemd processes will result as the user becomes able to manipulate service files, usually by inspecting similar service files for clues to making out a new one.  Many packages provide service files and more are expected.

An especially good check on the results of systemctl enable (service) is to open the affected folder in /etc/systemd/system and check it for a symlink for the affected service.  This verifies that the sym-link statement given after entering ....systemdctl enable..... is completed within the affected target folder.
This aids the new user to understand what is occuring

Most savvy archers can manipulate the wiki statemnents knowing the processes involved.  Newer users can be confused easily.

I usually approach wiki material with a noob attitude and do find it opens up interpretation holes.  The systemd wiki is very large and its referenced extensions make it moreso. A noob is overloaded.

Perhaps, booting into a minimum systemd with minimal services should be the norm.  Providing the correct service files could follow at one's leisure for the services desired.  This I have done with success.
Doing something like this will reduce the wiki size greatly and ease the transition, assuming the permanent arrangement is desired.

My systemd is unique...raid0, bootable.grub2, with two ext3 root partitions in mdadm raid array.

FWIW  and IMHO.

EDIT:  A short wiki for install systemd means quick=wiki in Hawaiian.............

Last edited by lilsirecho (2012-09-21 02:43:17)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Board footer