You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-21 10:30:22

orpharion

Pacstrap fails on linux-firmware

1. pacstrap /mnt base base-devel fails on linux-firmware-20120625-1-any.pkg.tar.xz, says "transfer closed with 13224 bytes remaining to read".
2. Retrying pacstrap results in "HTTP server doesn't seem to support byte ranges. Cannot resume."
3. Removed linux-firmware-20120625-1-any.pkg.tar.xz.part from /mnt/var/cache/pacman/pkg and tried with 4 other mirrors, all of which failed in the same way.
4. Have tried download linux-firmware from various mirrors and placing in /mnt/var/cache/pacman/pkg, and installation stalls with error that package is corrupt.
5. Still using the copied package, set Set SigLevel = Never for all entries in /etc/pacman.conf, and installation failed with error that package is corrupt, and package was auto-removed.
6. Tried pacman -Syu, which updated the arch-install-scripts-7-1 and pacman-mirrorlist-20120908-1 (among other things, including linux-3.5.4-1) - interestingly this creates various directories in mnt that pacstrap fails to make (as they exist) when run again. pacstrap still failed with problem 1.

Help greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Should mention I am working within a VM (VirtualBox), if that's relevant.

Last edited by orpharion (2012-09-21 10:37:34)

#2 2012-09-21 12:02:28

DSpider

Re: Pacstrap fails on linux-firmware

Try this:

# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt            #The root partition.
# nano /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist   #Choose a mirror.
# rm -rf /mnt/*                   #Start fresh.
# pacstrap /mnt base base-devel

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-09-21 13:10:07

orpharion

No dice. Made a new virtual hard drive, everything's partitioned, used default mirrors (still haven't found one that doesn't give me this problem), mounted everything up, and same problem. Might this be a proxy problem? It's a shot in the dark, but I'm doing this behind a work proxy (did export http_proxy), and I have connectivity (though I can't ping out).

#4 2012-09-21 13:42:30

DSpider

Might this be a proxy problem?

Could be. Some work places restrict various HTTP sites (Facebook, Youtube, etc) in an effort to raise productivity (which by the looks of it, is obviously futile).

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#5 2012-09-21 14:02:59

orpharion

I can get through to the mirrors via web browser, so in hindsight it's probably not it. And this company lets us youtube all day long smile

Board footer