You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-09 14:51:50

shinasha

Unable to reboot/restart, shutdown then boot works

When I try to reboot/restart my laptop I get an error message after the BIOS splash, "Machine Check Error_". This screen shows for a few seconds then cycles back to the BIOS splas in an endless loop. After forcing a power down the box will boot but I get an error message that all gnome extensions have been turned off and it takes me back to the login screen. I have tried a reboot/restart after disabling all extension but still the "Machine Check Error_". I think it's possibly related to recent upgrades since restarting worked previously.

I have a System76 Gazelle Professional with SSD
Syslinux v 4.05-7, systemd, GDM, Gnome Shell

There was a bug report here: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/31175#close, mentioning the same error but I'm not sure if it is the same issue because mine only occurs when trying to reboot. I'm not sure what other information would help. Will look into checking logs and such and follow up. Any suggestions appreciated.

#2 2012-09-11 00:28:49

shinasha

Re: Unable to reboot/restart, shutdown then boot works

The lack of any response/suggestion has me wondering if this is a clown question, or if it is really puzzling...

I'm still at a loss.

#3 2012-09-22 01:18:38

shinasha

My laptop is able to reboot as normal so this is no longer a problem. I was also having problems with a couple gnome shell extensions (brightness control and shellshape) and thought one of these had something to do with it. However, I was unable to pinpoint the problem and now all extensions and rebooting are working normally. Perhaps a recent update fixed something but I am uncertain of what it was. Sorry for not finding the issue but I'm still new with Arch and especially the systemd logging.

Do I mark this as solved since it is no longer a problem, or leave it open since nothing was really discovered?

#4 2012-09-22 01:51:59

WonderWoofy

That is a good question... I would mark is as solved simply to keep the forums in relative order.  Not that everyone is so good about this, but I would encourage you to do your part.  I think maybe since you *did* solve it and there is a relevant link to a bug report, it might be worth marking as solved for those reasons.

Board footer