You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-21 18:45:23

Xwang

[KDE] Force ntfs drives to be case insensitive. How?

Hi to all,
I use KDE and I mount usb ntfs drives with the applet (no fstab configs).
I would like to configure KDE and ntfs-3g to mount ntfs drives using the mount option "windows_names" to force linux to consider that filesystem as case insensitive (as is the default under Windows XP).
Is there any config file I can use to set such an option?
Thank you,
Xwang

PS I don't know if it is the correct forum to post such a question. In case it isn't, can some moderator move the discussion to the correct forum, please?

I'm still learning English so please excuse me if my English is not good enough and feel free to correct me via PM if you want.

#2 2012-09-22 12:09:35

thisoldman

Re: [KDE] Force ntfs drives to be case insensitive. How?

I don't think this is possible.

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/100625:

As part of the requirements for POSIX compliance, the Windows NT File System (NTFS) provides a case-sensitive file and directory naming convention. Even though NTFS and the POSIX subsystem each handle case-sensitivity well, 16-bit Windows-based, MS-DOS-based, OS/2-based, and Win32-based applications do not.

#3 2012-09-22 12:17:37

Xwang

thisoldman wrote:

I don't think this is possible.

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/100625:

As part of the requirements for POSIX compliance, the Windows NT File System (NTFS) provides a case-sensitive file and directory naming convention. Even though NTFS and the POSIX subsystem each handle case-sensitivity well, 16-bit Windows-based, MS-DOS-based, OS/2-based, and Win32-based applications do not.

As far I can see here:
http://linux.die.net/man/8/ntfs-3g
it should be possible using the "windows_names" option and the lowntfs-3g bin with its option "ignore_case" be possible to force the case insensitivity.
The problem is that I don't know where I can force KDE to use such option instead of ntfs-3g used by default.
Is there any configuration file for the mounting via KDE applet?
Thank you,
Xwang

I'm still learning English so please excuse me if my English is not good enough and feel free to correct me via PM if you want.

#4 2012-09-22 12:48:00

thisoldman

You're correct.  I can do this manually.

#5 2012-09-22 13:47:18

Xwang

thisoldman wrote:

You're correct.  I can do this manually.

Is there any way to force this behaviour for the KDE applet?
XWang

#6 2012-09-23 04:22:24

jrmrjnck

Short Answer: No.

I did some digging and it looks like this is not possible to set in a config file.

KDE uses udisks "under the hood" to mount filesystems. In most cases, KDE just asks udisks to use its default settings. However, sometimes KDE will pass along extra mount options. For example, KDE forces udisks to use the flush option on vfat volumes as a result of this bug report (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=273792). This is all done in the source code (solid/solid/backends/udisks2/udisksstorageaccess.cpp).

UDisks has a bunch of default options, but they are also set in the source code (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/udisks/tree … lesystem.c). You could recompile with those defaults changed if you wanted to.

The KDE Solid backend for hardware has some plain text rules files in /usr/share/apps/solid/actions where you might be able to intercept KDE and insert your own program. Probably it is not worth the trouble.

#7 2012-09-24 12:18:22

Xwang

What if I create a bash script like this

#!/bin/bash

lowntfs-3g -o windows_names -o ignore_case $@

Put it in /usr/bin, make it executable and change the actual links

mount.lowntfs-3g -> lowntfs-3g
mount.ntfs -> ntfs-3g
mount.ntfs-3g -> ntfs-3g

so that to call the above script?
Does this approach to the problem have any change to work?
Xwang

PS the $@ in the code should pass all the parameters which are actually passed to ntfs-3g to lowntfs-3g in addition to the other two option needed to use ntfs in a case insensitive way

#8 2012-10-07 11:52:41

Xwang

Xwang wrote:

What if I create a bash script like this

#!/bin/bash

lowntfs-3g -o windows_names -o ignore_case $@

Put it in /usr/bin, make it executable and change the actual links

mount.lowntfs-3g -> lowntfs-3g
mount.ntfs -> ntfs-3g
mount.ntfs-3g -> ntfs-3g

so that to call the above script?
Does this approach to the problem have any change to work?
Xwang

PS the $@ in the code should pass all the parameters which are actually passed to ntfs-3g to lowntfs-3g in addition to the other two option needed to use ntfs in a case insensitive way

I've done as explained and now the ntfs filesystem is mounted case insensitive.
At the moment I've not seen any issue.
Xwang

Last edited by Xwang (2012-10-07 12:23:08)

Board footer