You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-22 10:42:10

etrader

Auto detecting hardware drivers

When installing a basic desktop on Debian, it will take care of graphical drivers, but in Arch Linux, it is necessary to manually install the corresponding drivers. It should not be a big deal, a simple script to detect hardware and install corresponding drivers. Is there such project in Arch? I saw a package in AUR, but it seems it has been deleted.

One more question, is it possible to make an installation (e.g. on USB) to work with in any system? Like Live CDs of desktop-based linux distributions such as Ubuntu? Do we need to include all available drivers in our installation?

EDIT: As suggested, the practical way is to install all drivers; but what drivers should be really installed (I believe not all required), and how to make this library of drivers to assist Arch Linux to take the most appropriate one for the system used? I mean is there a guarantee that the best driver is used when lots of them are available in our installation?

Last edited by etrader (2012-09-22 19:41:40)

#2 2012-09-22 11:39:41

nTia89
Banned

Re: Auto detecting hardware drivers

we don't (at least officially) a such script because..... this is Arch Linux.... follow the motto: KISS

anyway imho this is not the right section, try to post it in the "Community Contributions" or "Programming & Scripting"

and, yes, you can install arch on USB stick, and "make" it a live cd installing all available drivers, at least for video card

+pc: custom | AMD Opteron 175 | nForce4 Ultra | 2GB ram DDR400 | nVidia 9800GT 1GB | ArchLinux x86_64 w/ openbox
+laptop: Apple | MacBook (2,1) | 2GB ram | Mac OS X 10.4 -> DIED
+ultrabook: Dell | XPS 13 (9343) | 8GB ram | 256GB ssd | FullHD display | Windows 8.1 64bit ArchLinux x86_64 w/ Gnome

#3 2012-09-22 17:56:21

etrader

As a matter of fact, I'm an admirer of Arch Linux's simplicity. I posted here, as writing that script is not difficult, but one needs to know a comprehensive knowledge about hardware on the market. IMHO, it should not be necessary to install all drivers, but main ones. For example, installing intel, vesa, and nvidia drivers should make the Live CD work on most of computers. However, my knowledge is limited to make this conclusion.

In addition, it should be taken into account, if installing lots of drivers, will the system used the best one, or may chose a worse available driver.

Anyway, I believe it is no appropriate to repost the subject in another section. A moderator can move this thread to most appropriate section. Thanks!

#4 2012-09-22 19:16:05

ewaller
Administrator

Moderator:  I am fine with this thread here.  The only other place it might go is Installation.  If you would like it moved, report the thread leave message as to where and why, and one of us will  be happy to move it.

Also, If you want to post in a separate subform, that is okay, just do not replicate the information here; just provide a reference url that points back to this thread.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2012-09-22 19:38:16

etrader

Thanks for your consideration! Like you I just want to post it where attract more attention (of those who have knowledge about it). I doubt if installation is a right place for this discussion, as it is about post-installation customization (or in a better word, generalization).

Board footer