You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-22 21:29:55

antoyo

rEFInd does not find Windows

Hello!
I just managed to get rEFInd working with Arch Linux, but it does not find Windows (which is on the second hard drive).
The Windows bootloader is working only in BIOS mode, not in UEFI mode.
Does this cause problem to get it working?
Is there a way to load Windows from rEFInd?
Can I manually add the Windows bootloader in rEFInd?
Thanks for your help.

#2 2012-09-22 23:19:09

nomorewindows

Re: rEFInd does not find Windows

It doesn't boot Windows?  Then what's the problem.
One of those bootloaders, grub2 I think it was had it's own bootloader for Windows.
You would have to chainload from the first hard drive to the second hard drive to boot Windows, and then if it's a recent Windows it'll only boot an operating system based on BCD.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3 2012-09-23 18:40:42

antoyo

nomorewindows wrote:

It doesn't boot Windows?  Then what's the problem.

I would prefer not having to use it…

nomorewindows wrote:

One of those bootloaders, grub2 I think it was had it's own bootloader for Windows.
You would have to chainload from the first hard drive to the second hard drive to boot Windows, and then if it's a recent Windows it'll only boot an operating system based on BCD.

I am new to rEFInd, so I don't know how to do it.
But do I really need grub?
I mean, cannot rEFInd simply boot on the second hard drive as if I would have chosen it in the Legacy Boot Menu (F12 -> Internal HDD)?
If yes, how can I add an entry in rEFInd to boot Windows Seven on the second hard drive?
If no, do I need to install grub on the second hard drive?
If I need to install it on the second hard drive, how rEFInd would find it, because the second hard drive is not GPT-partionned?
Thanks for your help.

#4 2012-09-23 21:22:41

nomorewindows

You'd only be able to install the bootloader on the first drive.
You would only need rEFInd for UEFI hardware, which you apparently do have.
If you can boot using grub-legacy/grub-bios, it is much simpler to use.
BIOS works fine, cause once you boot you aren't using it anymore.
KISS I say.
Grub2 has more modules and more capability, but a little more syntax and instructions to do the same thing (some can't avoid it).
The bootloader I like the most is OpenBSD/FreeBSD, it allows for booting directly from the last choice and it has simple function button push to go to the second drive and attempt to boot its' bootloader (native bootloader).  You can install the OpenBSD/FreeBSD without installing either OS using only the small boot CD.  But the BSD loader is limited to BIOS.
Then you can install your regular bootloader (grub/rEFInd) for the partition it goes to (and make sure you install your bootloader there).
Maybe you don't like all the bootloaders and only want one. 
rEFInd and grub should be able to work without GPT, but OpenBSD/FreeBSD don't yet recognize it. 
You should be able to change your root in grub with (hd1,xxx) instead of (hd0,xxx) and still boot.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

Board footer