You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-16 11:47:54

Ben_the1st

[SOLVED] eth0 automatically brought down every ~5 seconds

Hi everyone!

I decided to make a fresh install of Arch linux on my laptop as the new installation media came out (so there was a working Arch linux on it since 2009, and now I want to make a dual-boot with Windows Vista), but I got stuck on the beginning during the install. I tried to follow the Official Installation Guide (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_Guide), but got problems during connection to my router with dhcp throught ethernet.

I can't get a lease from my router, because my ethernet card (eth0) is automatically brought down in ~5 seconds. The device eth0 even disappeares from the list of

# ip a 

for a few seconds. So I set eth0 up, run dhcpcd eth0, and after a few seconds eth0 is brought down. It also happens without dhcpcd.

Any ideas why is it happening?

Last edited by Ben_the1st (2012-09-23 19:14:09)

Balazs

#2 2012-09-23 19:13:39

Ben_the1st

Re: [SOLVED] eth0 automatically brought down every ~5 seconds

Ok. I was able to find out the problem. It turned out that dhcpcd brought my card down. First, when I tried dhclient instead, I forgot to make dhcpcd release eth0. That is why dhclient did not work either at first. But with:

# dhcpcd -k eth0 
# dhclient eth0 

I was able to get IP from my router, and finish the install of my Arch system.
I don't know why dhcpcd made this, but as it is working now, I'm marking the topic as solved.

Balazs

Board footer