EndSection

thank you :-)

Lenovo Y471A-ifi
Arch x86_64 KDE Vim zsh
To enjoy brand new start

#4277 2012-09-14 12:45:17

Apollo Costa

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Since xorg 1.12 i have a light blue line on the right side of all windows.

Bildschirmfoto_-_14.09.2012_-_14:41:25.png

Everything is up to date. I have a HD6850. Have somebody the same issue oder better a solution ?

*edit*

It was the "Greybird theme"

Last edited by Apollo Costa (2012-09-17 08:09:47)

#4278 2012-09-16 17:52:22

Vi0L0
Website

sorry for late answering - i was on vacations smile

meanwhile catalyst 12.9 (9.00) linux driver targeted for embedded systems was released...

I decided not to update main catalyst packages with it because:
- it's for embedded systems ;P yet it's working fine here on hd 7850;
- I'm afraid that the list of supported gpus is short (because of a small size of /etc/ati/control file).

you can install this 12.9 driver from AUR : catalyst-test
Also there you will find more info, in short : many fixes, still no xserver 1.13 support.

Last edited by Vi0L0 (2012-09-16 17:52:46)

#4279 2012-09-17 16:03:18

Commander

Vi0L0 wrote:

sorry for late answering - i was on vacations smile

meanwhile catalyst 12.9 (9.00) linux driver targeted for embedded systems was released...

I decided not to update main catalyst packages with it because:
- it's for embedded systems ;P yet it's working fine here on hd 7850;
- I'm afraid that the list of supported gpus is short (because of a small size of /etc/ati/control file).

you can install this 12.9 driver from AUR : catalyst-test
Also there you will find more info, in short : many fixes, still no xserver 1.13 support.

Just tried it. I'm having issues rendering textures. In the game EVE-Online it wont render anything 3d just the UI. Even the textures shows up wrong on few things.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2137335/issues.png

Otherwise KDE and kwin compositing works. Will prolly get back to latest "stable".

#4280 2012-09-23 10:25:59

agapito

Catalyst packages are now in community repo,  i guess this is a good new.

Last edited by agapito (2012-09-23 10:27:10)

Excuse my poor English.

#4281 2012-09-23 12:03:54

Unia
Website

agapito wrote:

Catalyst packages are now in community repo,  i guess this is a good new.

Community-Testing for now, but wow, indeed! What is the reason to suddenly bring them back? Is there some item on the mailing lists?

EDIT: Seems like they started fresh with the PKGBUILDS too. Has anyone tested them yet?

Last edited by Unia (2012-09-23 12:08:09)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#4282 2012-09-24 05:09:09

flamelab

lol, weren't they removed because they couldn't catch up with the kernels and Xorg ?

#4283 2012-09-24 06:25:21

Vi0L0
Website

Strange move, indeed. Lack of xorg-server 1.13 in [testing] is also strange...
Will arch linux be catalyst-friendly again? tro lo lol smile

Last edited by Vi0L0 (2012-09-24 06:26:15)

#4284 2012-09-24 11:15:47

snack

Vi0L0 wrote:

Strange move, indeed. Lack of xorg-server 1.13 in [testing] is also strange...
Will arch linux be catalyst-friendly again? tro lo lol smile

Vi0l0, you seem quite surprised. Won't you tell me that someone is trying to deal with catalyst without having informed you before? This would be indeed a real waste of expertise...

#4285 2012-09-24 16:33:20

flamelab

Vi0l0, contact a dev to find out what they are testing. And tell them that you already have devoted a lot of work for catalyst, so you know its problems better, if they need help.

#4286 2012-09-24 18:32:51

Vi0L0
Website

I'm totally surprised, no info at all even on MLs...

@lordheavy:
I remember you were asking last year on ML about putting catalyst into repos, and then i said that catalyst isn't ready and that it lacks xserv support from time to time etc, that it will be a showstopper for arch. If arch philosphy hasn't change then I still believe this is true.
Can you explain what are you planning to do with catalyst?
Don't get me wrong but my first advice is to remove catalyst package and to use catalyst-generator instead because amd's license isn't allowing to populate a precompiled fglrx module, i haven't read license for months (and i can't atm on phone) but i believe that this statement hasn't changed... I was talking with amd about that and finally uploaded it on my own risk, but i believe arch should not risk...
And believe me i'm not writing this to scare or something,if license is allowing - then catalyst could stay, if amd will agree - could stay, but otherwise it should be gone - for the good of arch.
I really would like to help, feel free to ask. I will try to do whatever i can and as soon as i can. Maybe you got some plans for better powerXpress support? Maybe with the help of arch devs it could be very usefull and could ie work just out of the box? I would really like to see  it's working.

Edit: I will mail fwd it tomorrow if no answer

Last edited by Vi0L0 (2012-09-24 18:35:43)

#4287 2012-09-24 19:27:09

PhilipWitte

Probably a stupid questions, but will Catalyst 12.8+ work with my Radeon HD 4870 card and Xorg 1.12+ ? I'm expecting not, I heard no version beyond 12.6 will work with HD 4xxx and below, but I just thought I'd ask in case there's been some change.

#4288 2012-09-24 20:10:47

dejavu

What a shame!
Vi0L0 has worked so perfect to get the catalyst driver working, but not a single mail was possible to inform him.
No respect in this world.

#4289 2012-09-24 20:52:58

lordheavy
Developer

Vi0L0 wrote:

I'm totally surprised, no info at all even on MLs...

@lordheavy:
I remember you were asking last year on ML about putting catalyst into repos, and then i said that catalyst isn't ready and that it lacks xserv support from time to time etc, that it will be a showstopper for arch. If arch philosphy hasn't change then I still believe this is true.
Can you explain what are you planning to do with catalyst?
Don't get me wrong but my first advice is to remove catalyst package and to use catalyst-generator instead because amd's license isn't allowing to populate a precompiled fglrx module, i haven't read license for months (and i can't atm on phone) but i believe that this statement hasn't changed... I was talking with amd about that and finally uploaded it on my own risk, but i believe arch should not risk...
And believe me i'm not writing this to scare or something,if license is allowing - then catalyst could stay, if amd will agree - could stay, but otherwise it should be gone - for the good of arch.
I really would like to help, feel free to ask. I will try to do whatever i can and as soon as i can. Maybe you got some plans for better powerXpress support? Maybe with the help of arch devs it could be very usefull and could ie work just out of the box? I would really like to see  it's working.

Edit: I will mail fwd it tomorrow if no answer

Yes, no informations, because the discussion started on TU's irc chan, with "Hey, what about the status of catalyst drivers ?", so here is the result, first it's only for testing about the possible problems (and you just point one i've missed,the binary kernel module, that i've missed in the license), properly evaluate about possible lack of support of latest xorg-server,....

My point of view, is that i'm not worred about lack of support; if it doesn't work then there is the mesa drivers (especially from git) or stable one. Also if it's broken, then the possibility is to wait after a proper update from amd, or just use a contributor repo for an old xorg.

The packages available are Aur packages with a big cleanup.

* I will take a look in the dkms way for the kernel driver.
* I still work on the catalyst-utils package. systemd service fine doesn't work properly yet.
* lib32-catalyst-utils should be available soon.
* xvba-libva library is also planned

I currently test these drivers on an AMD E450 laptop (with ati 6320 card ), i also got a computer with an AMD HD6870 with mesa from git, and a computer with an ATI HD4850 with stable mesa drivers.

Of course advices are always welcome.

#4290 2012-09-24 23:35:42

ChemBro

PhilipWitte wrote:

Probably a stupid questions, but will Catalyst 12.8+ work with my Radeon HD 4870 card and Xorg 1.12+ ? I'm expecting not, I heard no version beyond 12.6 will work with HD 4xxx and below, but I just thought I'd ask in case there's been some change.

12.6-legacy, not 12.6. And no version beyond 12.6-legacy is not right. There will be more legacy-drivers for further kernel- and xorg-support.

@lordheavy: I see the catalyst driver in community-testing. What about catalyst-legacy?

#4291 2012-09-24 23:52:12

PhilipWitte

ChemBro wrote:
PhilipWitte wrote:

12.6-legacy, not 12.6. And no version beyond 12.6-legacy is not right. There will be more legacy-drivers for further kernel- and xorg-support.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Last edited by PhilipWitte (2012-09-24 23:53:11)

#4292 2012-09-25 00:17:13

PhilipWitte

My system looks like this:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 920
GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4870
RAM: 8gigs
DE: Gnome Shell

I've set "export CLUTTER_VBLANK=none" in my "etc/profile" which made a big difference with performance and overall the system is very usable (no horrible lags or glitches). Also, VSync is enabled in AMD CCC.

That said, performance is still odd. When zooming in-out of Gnome-Shell's overview mode, performance is sometimes butter-smooth... and other times it's probably ~15-20 FPS. The amount, or "intensity", of programs open doesn't appear to be a factor. I've noticed it run both slow and smooth with very few, and very many applications open.

Now normally I'd just chalk this up to bad design or poorly written code in Gnome-Shell or Catalyst, but I've noticed that on boot my system says it can't detect the CPU temperature and disables CPU thermal monitoring. In my bios, AMD Cool'n'Quiet is enabled. So I'm wondering if this could be the cause of the issue. Maybe the firmware(?) is throttling the CPU without being able to communicate it to the system, and visa-verse? Does anyone know if that's a possibility? Any info on this subject would be appreciated.

I'm also a little concerned CPU thermal monitoring is disabled. Can that lead to CPU damage if I max out the CPU and it can't correctly monitor temperature? I haven't been able to find any information about it yet.

Thanks in advance.

#4293 2012-09-25 00:29:28

Pse

PhilipWitte wrote:

My system looks like this:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 920
GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4870
RAM: 8gigs
DE: Gnome Shell

I've set "export CLUTTER_VBLANK=none" in my "etc/profile" which made a big difference with performance and overall the system is very usable (no horrible lags or glitches). Also, VSync is enabled in AMD CCC.

That said, performance is still odd. When zooming in-out of Gnome-Shell's overview mode, performance is sometimes butter-smooth... and other times it's probably ~15-20 FPS. The amount, or "intensity", of programs open doesn't appear to be a factor. I've noticed it run both slow and smooth with very few, and very many applications open.

Now normally I'd just chalk this up to bad design or poorly written code in Gnome-Shell or Catalyst, but I've noticed that on boot my system says it can't detect the CPU temperature and disables CPU thermal monitoring. In my bios, AMD Cool'n'Quiet is enabled. So I'm wondering if this could be the cause of the issue. Maybe the firmware(?) is throttling the CPU without being able to communicate it to the system, and visa-verse? Does anyone know if that's a possibility? Any info on this subject would be appreciated.

I'm also a little concerned CPU thermal monitoring is disabled. Can that lead to CPU damage if I max out the CPU and it can't correctly monitor temperature? I haven't been able to find any information about it yet.

Thanks in advance.

Can you paste the output of the 'sensors' command from the console? Check the current speed of your CPU by reading /proc/cpuinfo when running CPU intensive tasks. Also take a look at the output from 'dmesg', look for messages from "powernow-k8". You could also install 'cpupower' (an assortment of tools to control CPU power management settings) and set the governor to 'performance' to see if it helps (you need to modprobe powernow-k8 for that).

Last edited by Pse (2012-09-25 00:30:44)

#4294 2012-09-25 06:27:26

PhilipWitte

Pse wrote:

Can you paste the output of the 'sensors' command from the console? Check the current speed of your CPU by reading /proc/cpuinfo when running CPU intensive tasks. Also take a look at the output from 'dmesg', look for messages from "powernow-k8". You could also install 'cpupower' (an assortment of tools to control CPU power management settings) and set the governor to 'performance' to see if it helps (you need to modprobe powernow-k8 for that).

Thank you for the help, your questioned set me on the right path.

'lm_sensors' was not installed and configured, and I needed to do the K10 troubleshooting as well. Also, 'amd-ucode' wasn't installed either. Now my system boots without errors and so far, seems to be running better :-)

#4295 2012-09-25 15:32:08

Vi0L0
Website

lordheavy wrote:

(...) properly evaluate about possible lack of support of latest xorg-server,....

My point of view, is that i'm not worred about lack of support; if it doesn't work then there is the mesa drivers (especially from git) or stable one. Also if it's broken, then the possibility is to wait after a proper update from amd, or just use a contributor repo for an old xorg.

Will you leave catalyst package in arch repo if there will be dependency conflict of xorg-server versions?
Because i'm an owner of hd 7850 and mesa isn't working on it.

Plus there will still be the need of commenting pacman.conf with xorg or using external xorg repo - can archive [xorg1XX] repo be stored next to official arch repos?

lordheavy wrote:

The packages available are Aur packages with a big cleanup.

* I will take a look in the dkms way for the kernel driver.
* I still work on the catalyst-utils package. systemd service fine doesn't work properly yet.
* lib32-catalyst-utils should be available soon.
* xvba-libva library is also planned

I was actually hoping for more smile, but as for a start it's looking good cool.

ChemBro wrote:

@lordheavy: I see the catalyst driver in community-testing. What about catalyst-legacy?

+1.
Also: what about -pxp?

Meanwhile:
[xorg112]
Server = http://catalyst.apocalypsus.net/repo/xorg112/$arch

#4296 2012-09-26 16:28:28

12eason
Banned

I have a built-in HD4200 which can be run alongside my HD6870, at least it could until ATI seperated the drivers. In Windows I have had to downgrade to 12.4 and stay there, but that isn't possible in linux without permanently downgrading Xorg. I think the opensource driver will run them all together, but it had terrible tearing the last time I used it. Linux should be technically capable of running different drivers at the same time for each adapter, but considering both the new and legacy catalyst drivers are identical in all but package name, I don't see a way of doing it.

Has anyone figured out if they can be loaded together and targeted to each adapter in xorg.conf?

#4297 2012-09-26 17:17:11

jfernyhough

Just a heads-up, Catalyst 12.9  beta is released:
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/amd-dr … x86_64.zip

Last edited by jfernyhough (2012-09-26 17:32:40)

#4298 2012-09-26 17:52:06

Vi0L0
Website

jfernyhough wrote:

Just a heads-up, Catalyst 12.9  beta is released:
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/amd-dr … x86_64.zip

Thanks! smile
The only different between this new beta (version 9.00) and already released 12.9 for emb devs (also version 9.00, our catalyst-test 12.9-1) is in those three files located in /etc/ati:
amdpcsdb.default  control  signature

Beta supports more gpus.

catalyst-test users can download those files from here and paste it into /etc/ati, perms 644, and in this way avoid update to -2 version

Soon i will update catalyst-test@AUR with this new beta (edit: done)

Just found some "bug" in chromium 22: if compositing is enabled chromium renders fine only 1 page, after switching tab all pages were plain white, chromium downgrade fixed it.
Too bad because chromium 22 brings a lot of security updates...

Last edited by Vi0L0 (2012-09-26 19:08:37)

#4299 2012-09-27 11:14:52

12eason
Banned

12eason wrote:

Linux should be technically capable of running different drivers at the same time for each adapter, but considering both the new and legacy catalyst drivers are identical in all but package name, I don't see a way of doing it.

Has anyone figured out if they can be loaded together and targeted to each adapter in xorg.conf?

Am I right in thinking that the same method catalyst-generator uses to install different version of the same catalyst module, could be used to install both catalyst and catalyst legacy on the same system?

#4300 2012-09-27 20:54:54

Vi0L0
Website

12eason wrote:
12eason wrote:

Linux should be technically capable of running different drivers at the same time for each adapter, but considering both the new and legacy catalyst drivers are identical in all but package name, I don't see a way of doing it.

Am I right in thinking that the same method catalyst-generator uses to install different version of the same catalyst module, could be used to install both catalyst and catalyst legacy on the same system?

Generator creates single fglrx module for each kernel. That's different story.
I never heard about anyone even trying to do what you want to do...

My little brain can't imagine how it would be possible to load two fglrx modules, separatelly for two different gpus - i'm not saying that it's impossible, but it would be very hard
Try to ask @ phoronix forums smile

Sidenote: iirc a friend of mine is using bumblebee ie to render a single window with nvidia gpu while other desktop' elements are rendered by integrated intel hd 3000 on his notebook, at least he said he can do such a things - kinda different story but interesting

Last edited by Vi0L0 (2012-09-27 21:04:56)

Board footer