You are not logged in.

#51 2012-09-24 15:49:52

WonderWoofy

Re: How to have Firefox working in Frame Buffer?

Interestingly it does not work for me trying to run it from URXvt again telling me that I cannot access /dev/tty0.  So are you able to run it in real frambuffer mode without root?

#52 2012-09-24 15:58:37

rix

Do you mean in or out X?
If you mean out, nope.

---
Edit:
I disinstall Links and reinstalled.
Now when I give

sudo links -g <url>

it works.
In full-screen-dumb-colors mode, with graphic support of course, and... with mouse support too!
If I try w/o beign root it returns me errors, either in FB, DFB and obviously in X (because I'm on Tty).

Note that if I try w/o root permission and/or with "-drive fb" it says to me that can't start "gpm" (I didn't ask for it). So I think if I make a "*.service" file for it in Systemd, it'd works. But I don't need mouse support, I don't really like Links colors support and it doesn't support browsing by hint, as Elinks does. And for graphic support I already have W3m.

Netsurf would be interesting but it doesn't compile.

Last edited by rix (2012-09-24 16:40:46)

#53 2012-09-24 22:57:26

cfr

Thanks for the information about Italian.

English used to mark the difference between formal and familiar 'you' but not with capitalisation - 'thou' and 'thee'. I always think it is kind of interesting that English dropped the distinction and everybody else still seems to have it. (I'm sure 'everybody' is an exaggeration but lots of related languages and geographically close languages, anyway.)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#54 2012-09-25 00:25:10

WonderWoofy

rix wrote:

...either in FB, DFB and obviously in X (because I'm on Tty).

Rix, if you are in tty, it means that you are *not* in X.  (ie ctrl+alt+F1 or what the multi-user.target drops you in).  If you are using any terminal emulator in your gui, youare still in X because it is running in a window that is controlled by X. 

If you are using the links-g-directfb package from the aur, it requires gpm.  There is actually already a service file for it installed if it was pulled as a dependency for your links-g-directfb.  Just "systemctl start gpm" for that because it otherwise will not start links in graphic mode.

I am going to have to definitely agree that the links graphical mode is certainly not ideal, and there are a few other things (even in a tty) that I would use first.

#55 2012-09-25 09:16:23

rix

cfr wrote:

Thanks for the information about Italian.

You're very welcome.
Thanks to you I've learned something new too.

Just, I'm note quite sure about I've understand one thing. Do you mean that in English, to mark the difference between formal and familiar, they used in the past "thou" and "thee" and not capitalisation and today nothing at all?

WonderWoofy wrote:

[...] if you are in tty, it means that you are *not* in X [...]

I know it. smile

WonderWoofy wrote:

[...] it requires gpm [...]

My fault. Didn't notice it.

WonderWoofy wrote:

[...] There is actually already a service file [...]

This time I haven't completely no clue.

WonderWoofy wrote:

[...] I am going to have to definitely agree that the links graphical mode is certainly not ideal, and there are a few other things (even in a tty) that I would use first.

So do you agree w/ me that someone that would browse w/ hints support could use Elinks (for hints) and W3m (for graphic) || links-g-directfb?
And also Elinks and W3m have better colors IMO. smile

#56 2012-09-25 22:37:05

cfr

rix wrote:

Just, I'm note quite sure about I've understand one thing. Do you mean that in English, to mark the difference between formal and familiar, they used in the past "thou" and "thee" and not capitalisation and today nothing at all?

Yes. That is correct. English used to make such a distinction (without capitals) but no longer makes it at all.

WonderWoofy wrote:

About what?

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#57 2012-09-25 23:04:52

WonderWoofy

rix wrote:
WonderWoofy wrote:

So if you are saying you don't know what I am speaking of, take a look in /usr/lib/systemd/system and you should find a gpm.service file.  So if you are using systemd, you can simply start that service.  So you don't need to create a service file, which I think you mentioned earlier in this thread.

rix wrote:

So do you agree w/ me that someone that would browse w/ hints support could use Elinks (for hints) and W3m (for graphic) || links-g-directfb?
And also Elinks and W3m have better colors IMO. smile

You know, I really don't use non-graphical browsers other than for pure text based stuff.  I was definitely not aware of the link hints in elinks. That is pretty great actually.  I was aware of w3m's graphics capabilities, but I only use w3m on occasion.  I have to admit though that w3m is pretty awesome, and I feel like I would probably be more whole of a person if I used it more. smile 

Using links -g was really just an experiment to see how hard it would be to get a truly grapical browser working if framebuffer.  Incidentally, it wasn't that hard.  It would be nice to really have a full featured browser without X, but I know that in any given frambuffer capable browser there are certain things it just would not be able to do.

In any case, my experiemnt was a success.  Like you I started with looking in to the possibility of firefox in framebuffer since i had heard it could be done.  I found the netsurf, but failed with libsnfb, and moved on to links thanks to this thread.

#58 2012-09-27 10:02:04

rix

@ cfr:

cfr wrote:
WonderWoofy wrote:

rix wrote:

About what?

About the existence of the gpm service file. smile

@ WonderWoofy:
BTW, I've also thought, that in the attempting to resolve my X server issue, I've already tried with many things including removing FireFox addons. But, I've never thought about removing Vimperator (I don't know why...). So, now, I'm making two tests:
1) trying FireFox without Vimperator (and if I'll find out that was Vimperator fault, I'll replace it with Pentadactyl);
2) otherwise if I'll find out that is actually FireFox causing the problem, I've already installed Conkeror.

One last thing about Conkeror.
When I'm in X, I use Dwm with two tags: "T" (Terminals) and "G" (Graphicals).
In the "T" tag, I usually run Tmux with a scripted status bar that show me volume, mails, updates, ram, temperature and connection status on the left. Buffers titles in the center and date and clock on the right.
The problem is that when I switch to the "G" tag I obviously can't see that infos but I'd be able to do that.
So if I use Dwm bar I've too much free space in the Tmux one (and it's not a good thing since I also use it in the FrameBuffer).
I'd like to use the Vimperator's one but I still don't know if it's the problem and honestly I've tried but I can't put that infos in it with Javascript.
So I've thought about the Conkeror's bar and I've found that "its Javascript" is more easy for me and I've already put in it my own date and clock script. But I don't know how to write other scripts because I don't know how to run external program (such as Fetchmail and lm_sensors) and save their output in a variable which will be shown in the bar in Js, and always in Js, the only way I know to check connection status is with checking the navigator.onLine exit status and in Conkeror it doesn't work.
Any ideas?

Thank so much and sorry for the lengthy post. smile

---
Edit:
if you also know a really really really complete (free ^^') Javascript guide, please let me know.

Last edited by rix (2012-09-27 10:10:11)

#59 2012-09-27 13:30:07

WonderWoofy

rix, I am really not exactly sure what you are asking me about here.  I guess that I should mention though, that I am not familiar with vimperator, and I only discovered the joys of tmux (over screen) about a week ago.  As a former chromium + vim* (I don't remember what I used to use), I must recommend that you try dwb. 
See here https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=95589 .
But in any case, I think that whatever it is you are trying to get at here, it is definitely a topic that suits a new thread.

#60 2012-09-27 13:38:11

rix

@ WonderWoofy:
you're definetly right. smile I'll open a new thread eventually.

I tried Chromium and I don't get with it. I've also tried Dwb (and Jumanji, Vimprobable, and so on) but I found that (I think at least) Webkit as engine don't really like Javascript based technology. Try to open an Hotmail (read as Ajax) account with one of those browsers and you'll see what I'm talking about.

#61 2012-09-27 13:52:06

WonderWoofy

Hey, you are right, I cannot even sign in with dwb, but I can w/ firefox.  You know, I have a comcast.net account, and their inteface is so bad that I simply made a gmail account and forward all my comcast mail to there.

Okay, we should probably not go any further.  As this is grossly off topic from the original intent of this thread.  Start something new my friend.

#62 2012-09-27 13:54:41

rix

@ WonderWoofy:
Ok my friend. smile I'll do it.
Thanks for all. wink

---
Edit:
so, actually isn't possible.

Last edited by rix (2012-10-08 20:09:06)

Board footer