You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-25 04:15:02

sethfouts

[Solved] Toshiba Satellite w/ A10-4600M APU graphics driver issue

I have been using Arch on my Intel desktop and laptop for some time now. Recently I purchased a new AMD based laptop with the latest Trinity APU processor. First thing on the agenda for the new laptop was linux, so I downloaded the latest Arch install CD and got started.

A couple of things did not work right away.

First, I had to boot the disk with nomodeset=1 kernel parameter. Then I had to use a USB wireless adapter for install, because the Aetheros 8162 and Realtek 8723 network adapters both needed drivers not included with Arch. Got that sorted out after installing though.

Finally, a base system install was complete and I was ready for installing X and video/input drivers.  This is where my issues start.  I chose to go with the free xf86-video-ati driver because it is more readily available in Arch and is supposed to provide better overall performance.  The problem with the radeon driver is this: I have to disable KMS in order to boot past a black screen, but KMS is required for the radeon driver to function.

I have installed the non-free Catalyst driver from its repo, but still would like to sort out the configuration for the radeon driver.  I have tried booting the radeon driver with/without an xorg configuration file.  I have tried various kernel parameters, including radeon.audio=0/1, radeon.modeset=1, radeon.agpmode=4/8/-1.  This was all done with radeon added to initramfs. 

Any suggestions on the radeon driver and making it work with such new graphics hardware would be great.  Otherwise I guess I will keep using the Catalyst driver until better compatibility is worked into the open source version.

Graphics hardware on this APU is a RadeonHD 7660G by the way.

Last edited by sethfouts (2012-10-11 19:36:58)

#2 2012-09-25 08:32:04

nTia89
Banned

Re: [Solved] Toshiba Satellite w/ A10-4600M APU graphics driver issue

are you sure to have completely reset your configuration before try the catalyst?

+pc: custom | AMD Opteron 175 | nForce4 Ultra | 2GB ram DDR400 | nVidia 9800GT 1GB | ArchLinux x86_64 w/ openbox
+laptop: Apple | MacBook (2,1) | 2GB ram | Mac OS X 10.4 -> DIED
+ultrabook: Dell | XPS 13 (9343) | 8GB ram | 256GB ssd | FullHD display | Windows 8.1 64bit ArchLinux x86_64 w/ Gnome

#3 2012-09-25 20:01:39

sethfouts

Yes and mostly Catalyst seems to be working.  The only thing I'm not sure about with the Catalyst driver is that in Gnome it tells me the graphics driver is VESA:DVST.  But, glxinfo | grep direct shows me direct rendering is enabled and the fglrx driver is loaded (lsmod | grep fglrx). lspci -k shows the fglrx_pci driver in use for VGA device.

The problem is with the open source ati driver.  I cannot get it working with any of its options set in kernel boot parameters or in xorg config file.

#4 2012-10-11 19:36:31

sethfouts

The latest update to the linux kernel seems to have fixed the laptop requiring "nomodeset=1" boot option.  Seems the issue was not with the radeon driver but with the kernel not allowing KMS with this card for some reason.  The open source driver works great though and did not require any special settings or configurations set.

Board footer