You are not logged in.

#126 2012-09-19 07:20:17

Darksoul71

Re: [Script] Archlinux Ultimate Install Script

alexjax wrote:

2) in default script i get a root warning (please use the --asroot option) etc when running makepkg i am logged in as root as you request in your fist post.

Sounds pretty much like the same issue I run into when I forgot to correctly create a user account. Are you shure that you have correctly created the "standard" user account during script execution ?

My archlinux x86_64 host:
AMD E350 (2x1.6GHz) / 8GB DDR3 RAM / GeForce 9500GT (passive) / Arch running from 16GB USB Stick

#127 2012-09-19 12:07:33

helmuthdu

alexjax wrote:

hay thanks for this! love yah. x

1) got a few errors swapoff: /dev/sda2/:  swapoff failed: Invalid argument error when i selected yes to format the swap as ext2 using ais mode.

2) in default script i get a root warning (please use the --asroot option) etc when running makepkg i am logged in as root as you request in your fist post.

perhaps you can add the --asroot to the script or you can make this a manual command, you could even do a check for the app at the end and provide an option to try again manually if it's not found?

with error 2 there i get kicked out the script sadly. ;(

thanks again. x

1) Fixed
2) try to create an user with the script and see if you still get this error or add your user to the wheel group.

Last edited by helmuthdu (2012-09-19 13:22:12)

#128 2012-09-21 09:13:41

topdollar

Thank you for this great work, it's realy awesome !
Just a question: I'm trying your script on VM and i get stuck at the AUR package list (the might kill my cat wink ), and i didn't figured how to go back to finish the install. any help?

#129 2012-09-21 12:33:30

helmuthdu

topdollar wrote:

Thank you for this great work, it's realy awesome !
Just a question: I'm trying your script on VM and i get stuck at the AUR package list (the might kill my cat wink ), and i didn't figured how to go back to finish the install. any help?

Press "q" ftw! lol

#130 2012-09-23 15:48:44

alexjax

Hay,

I've gone through the script twice now and managed to get everything done that it's set to do (fixed the makepkg issue manually) but i'm not getting a good result.

i complete everything (both modes) and exit out, i am shown "list of packages that are not officially supported", a list and then [end]...and that's it, nothing happens it just tildes and continues to show [end] i press q again randomly to see if it works and it does, asks me if i want to reboot and then does so.

the problem i am facing is this "then what?" the system reboots after it has been supposedly installed and configured but nothing starts, startkde displays a "$display is not set" error, startx gives me "no screens found"...am i missing something?

Darksoul71 wrote:
alexjax wrote:

Sounds pretty much like the same issue I run into when I forgot to correctly create a user account. Are you shure that you have correctly created the "standard" user account during script execution ?

i did make an account using the script, is it perhaps not configured correctly to have sudo privileges?

**found another problem, if you select gpu drive virtualbox it prints "virtualbox-archlinux-additions target not found" i think this is because it was renamed to something like "virtualbox-guest-iso"

[edited out my 48hr no sleep gibberish.]

Last edited by alexjax (2012-09-23 20:17:36)

CPU: AMD Bulldozer FX-8 8120 3.1Ghz | MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | Ram: Corsair 12GB 1866Mhz Red Vengence | GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670 2GB | PSU: Corsair Hx1050 | Cooling: Corsair H100 | Case: Corsair 800D | HDD: Boot HDD OCZ 120GB SSD etc

#131 2012-09-23 17:02:27

ewaller
Administrator

<rant> have run through</rant>   from a Yank, no less tongue

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#132 2012-09-23 18:30:09

alexjax

haha, i've been up all night, brain might not be working correctly. thanks

CPU: AMD Bulldozer FX-8 8120 3.1Ghz | MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | Ram: Corsair 12GB 1866Mhz Red Vengence | GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670 2GB | PSU: Corsair Hx1050 | Cooling: Corsair H100 | Case: Corsair 800D | HDD: Boot HDD OCZ 120GB SSD etc

#133 2012-09-23 21:42:49

manolos

Hi helmuthdu! Thanks for this script!
I have a question. Is it up to date? Can I use it on new dual-arch 2012 iso?

#134 2012-09-24 10:56:06

helmuthdu

manolos wrote:

Hi helmuthdu! Thanks for this script!
I have a question. Is it up to date? Can I use it on new dual-arch 2012 iso?

Simple anwser: yes. smile

#135 2012-09-24 11:36:12

helmuthdu

alexjax wrote:

Hay,

I've gone through the script twice now and managed to get everything done that it's set to do (fixed the makepkg issue manually) but i'm not getting a good result.

i complete everything (both modes) and exit out, i am shown "list of packages that are not officially supported", a list and then [end]...and that's it, nothing happens it just tildes and continues to show [end] i press q again randomly to see if it works and it does, asks me if i want to reboot and then does so.

the problem i am facing is this "then what?" the system reboots after it has been supposedly installed and configured but nothing starts, startkde displays a "$display is not set" error, startx gives me "no screens found"...am i missing something?

i did make an account using the script, is it perhaps not configured correctly to have sudo privileges?

**found another problem, if you select gpu drive virtualbox it prints "virtualbox-archlinux-additions target not found" i think this is because it was renamed to something like "virtualbox-guest-iso"

Well, idk what is happen with your install. I had run the script this last week 6x and everything seems to be just fine, no error, no bug, just a simple and easy install.
Do you run the script as root? You went into the aui directory then enter "./aui"?
I need to figure out who to reproduce your error to try help you. Can you post here what you do?
Already fixed the virtualbox issue in the github.

EDIT: I have tried the script today, for some reason it fails... i will check this
EDIT2: I have logged as my "username" ("su -l username") then did something as sudo like "sudo pacman -S git" then pressed ctrl+d (or type exit) then run the script again and it worked. I think its a problem with sudo or something.
EDIT3: Maybe the problem is this warning: "sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified", even with sudo installed and the user added to the wheel group. Still no solution for now.
EDIT4: It also work if I add this option: Defaults visiblepw to the file /etc/sudoers. But i still dont know why is this necessary now... sad
EDIT5: Fixed in the last commits

Last edited by helmuthdu (2012-09-24 17:04:00)

#136 2012-09-24 11:57:45

Heema

helmuthdu wrote:

it should be virtualbox-guest-utils

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vi … _Additions

#137 2012-09-24 18:16:35

alexjax

helmuthdu wrote:
alexjax wrote:

Hay,

Well, idk what is happen with your install. I had run the script this last week 6x and everything seems to be just fine, no error, no bug, just a simple and easy install.
Do you run the script as root? You went into the aui directory then enter "./aui"?
I need to figure out who to reproduce your error to try help you. Can you post here what you do?

EDIT: I have tried the script today, for some reason it fails... i will check this
EDIT2: I have logged as my "username" ("su -l username") then did something as sudo like "sudo pacman -S git" then pressed ctrl+d (or type exit) then run the script again and it worked. I think its a problem with sudo or something.
EDIT3: Maybe the problem is this warning: "sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified", even with sudo installed and the user added to the wheel group. Still no solution for now.
EDIT4: It also work if I add this option: Defaults visiblepw to the file /etc/sudoers. But i still dont know why is this necessary now... sad
EDIT5: Fixed in the last commits

You da man!, thanks for helping to make arch easier for users. might send you small donation when i get paid. big_smile

I'll try to explain what i do:

1) make my system in vmware to test
2) Do update and use git method to get script
3) run script using --ais first and complete all stages including setting up file system & grub2 etc and finally allowing for a reboot
4) run default script ./aui and complete all stages in order, select kde as my desktop environment and allow install.
5) when all stages in menu are complete i exit using the exit command shown (q i think...memory fuzzy)
6) i am shown a warning that some modules are not officially supported as i said before and then i press q again to exit out of that since no options are shown.
7) finally i am asked to reboot which i agree to and then...nothing, the system starts up grub, i select the first option, login as either my user or as root and nothing, kde will not start and neither will X.

For the graphics option i was originally using nvidia since that's what i have and that's what's worked in the past but i figured since it's a virtual machine i tried running the script again only this time i selected the virtualbox driver...and then again trying intel with the same results.

I have 4 partitions. (1. /boot | 2. swap | 3. / | 4./home (screeny http://www.mediafire.com/view/?29tigkbgw9k17l2 )

any clue what might be going wrong? i will try again later and select a different desktop environment like gnome.

thx

Last edited by alexjax (2012-09-24 22:08:21)

#138 2012-09-24 22:06:12

helmuthdu

alexjax wrote:

You da man!, thanks for helping to make arch easier for users. might send you small donation when i get paid. big_smile

I'll try to explain what i do:

1) make my system in vmware to test
2) Do update and use git method to get script
3) run script using --ais first and complete all stages including setting up file system & grub2 etc and finally allowing for a reboot
4) run default script ./aui and complete all stages in order, select kde as my desktop environment and allow install.
5) when all stages in menu are complete i exit using the exit command shown (q i think...memory fuzzy)
6) i am shown a warning that some modules are not officially supported as i said before and then i press q again to exit out of that since no options are shown.
7) finally i am asked to reboot which i agree to and then...nothing, the system starts up grub, i select the first option, login as either my user or as root and nothing, kde will not start and neither will X.

For the graphics option i was originally using nvidia since that's what i have and that's what's worked in the past but i figured since it's a virtual machine i tried running the script again only this time i selected the virtualbox driver...and then again trying intel with the same results.

any clue what might be going wrong? i will try again later and select a different desktop environment like gnome.

thx

It works after changes i did today? I did 2x installs with different machines and got it working after the lasts commits.

Last edited by helmuthdu (2012-09-25 02:14:39)

#139 2012-09-25 01:06:37

alexjax

Thanks for all the updates!

I get further this time and the script seems to be doing more with less issues, now my current problem is when building "kde-gtk-config-git" i get an error: "did not find automoc4 (automoc4config.cmake, install git://anongit.kde.org/automoc). (missing: automoc4_executable) configuring incomplete, errors occurred."

I tried pacman -S automoc4 but i'm told it's already installed...? "git://anongit.kde.org/automoc.git" should work according to kde site.

without automoc kde will not install.

A possible solution is to add "export Automoc4_DIR=/usr/lib/automoc4" to the .zshrc.local / .bashrc file or add -DAutomoc4_DIR=/usr/lib/automoc4 to the PKGBUILD's cmake command according to a post at https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=145612 by "losinggeneration" & "splashy".

errorarch.jpg

thanks again. big_smile

Last edited by alexjax (2012-09-25 19:53:31)

#140 2012-09-25 08:57:03

archymedes

Could you add wireless-tools package in the --ais mode script?
With this package installed you can configure the system and install the rest of the system with the default aui script mode.
Thanks, great work!!

#141 2012-09-25 18:03:29

archoriano

Need help, i just made a huge achivement yesterday and managed to break my arch. Yes i know i should be tied to a tree a wiped 100 times.

Since im the lazyiest you can get, im trying to install arch using this script, but i have a problem this script keeps on downloading and instaling packages and at a certain point (xorg and stuff to be exact) rootfs partition gets full and i cant pass that point and pacman -Sc doesnt solve the problem

I also have a couple of question about this script, why and where is it install this many stuff before partitioning the disk? At the begining i tought it was installing stuff needed for the script but its not, so why this strange route? and when will i partition the disk? i alredy have the /home partition and the /boot just need the one that i broke

Dont get me wrong the script looks great but also weird or im doin it wrong

What i did was, make a bootable pen, boot the pen and run the script. I didnt have to install Arch before did I?

#142 2012-09-25 18:14:41

alexjax

archoriano wrote:

Need help, i just made a huge achivement yesterday and managed to break my arch. Yes i know i should be tied to a tree a wiped 100 times.

Since im the lazyiest you can get, im trying to install arch using this script, but i have a problem this script keeps on downloading and instaling packages and at a certain point (xorg and stuff to be exact) rootfs partition gets full and i cant pass that point and pacman -Sc doesnt solve the problem

I also have a couple of question about this script, why and where is it install this many stuff before partitioning the disk? At the begining i tought it was installing stuff needed for the script but its not, so why this strange route? and when will i partition the disk? i alredy have the /home partition and the /boot just need the one that i broke

Dont get me wrong the script looks great but also weird or im doin it wrong

What i did was, make a bootable pen, boot the pen and run the script. I didnt have to install Arch before did I?

I don't recommend you use this script to fix an issue with an existing install.

To partition drives and do the first part of the install run the script like  ./aui --ais, then reboot and run the script like normal  ./aui.

peace

#143 2012-09-25 22:23:53

archoriano

tanks and yes but the easiest way to solve my problem was to fresh install (kernel was corrupted could boot)

so i did the ./aui ais and installed arch like i wanted, all really simple all really well and even learned about some new cool apps.

At the end i rebooted and kdm doesnt start "Hm! i guess the script doest add kdm to daemons in rc.conf" i tought. Turns out there is no rc.conf, sure didnt expect this one

I will try to sort it then post here something

#144 2012-09-25 23:08:15

archoriano

all good now the rc.conf problem was due to having installed sysvinit insted of initscripts, i guess it was by default but i like rc.conf even if other way is better

Graphics werent working because for some reason i tought i still had my old laptop wich had an nvidia card so i installed nvidia drivers insted of the intel ones yikes it was a long day tongue

Script is awsome btw

tanks Helmuth

#145 2012-09-25 23:43:18

helmuthdu

archoriano wrote:

tanks and yes but the easiest way to solve my problem was to fresh install (kernel was corrupted could boot)

so i did the ./aui ais and installed arch like i wanted, all really simple all really well and even learned about some new cool apps.

At the end i rebooted and kdm doesnt start "Hm! i guess the script doest add kdm to daemons in rc.conf" i tought. Turns out there is no rc.conf, sure didnt expect this one

I will try to sort it then post here something

humm... i will check this about the KDE, i installed KDE yesterday and was fine.

archoriano wrote:

all good now the rc.conf problem was due to having installed sysvinit insted of initscripts, i guess it was by default but i like rc.conf even if other way is better

Graphics werent working because for some reason i tought i still had my old laptop wich had an nvidia card so i installed nvidia drivers insted of the intel ones yikes it was a long day tongue

Script is awsome btw

tanks Helmuth

The script is pure systemd. I dropped the support for initscripts some time ago.
I made this change bc there's many improvements from the sysvinit to systemd.
http://worldofgnome.org/arch-migrates-t … e-support/

Last edited by helmuthdu (2012-09-25 23:45:56)

#146 2012-09-25 23:47:00

alexjax

Yata! i finally got the script to work for me!

Here is what i did:

1) I only made 3 partitions this time [boot, swap, home]
2) I used Packer instead of yaourt which worked waaaaaaaay better with not a single error.
3) I tried Gnome for testing sake instead of kde.

but yeah! it worked and pretty quickly to! tomorrow i'll try the same only with kde...or i might just try a dual boot kde with slim.

Will post my results. x

ps. there's no package installer installed?

Last edited by alexjax (2012-09-26 03:01:32)

#147 2012-09-26 10:22:20

Heema

will you be adding an UEFI option ?

#148 2012-09-27 17:53:25

helmuthdu

Heema wrote:

will you be adding an UEFI option ?

I have added support to UEFI in the last commit.
ATTENTION: make sure you mounted correctly your /boot partition, or it will fail. You can do this after root and swap partitions when the script ask if you want add another paritions.
READ HERE: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Grub

Last edited by helmuthdu (2012-09-27 18:59:38)

#149 2012-09-27 18:00:31

helmuthdu

alexjax wrote:

Yata! i finally got the script to work for me!

Here is what i did:

1) I only made 3 partitions this time [boot, swap, home]
2) I used Packer instead of yaourt which worked waaaaaaaay better with not a single error.
3) I tried Gnome for testing sake instead of kde.

but yeah! it worked and pretty quickly to! tomorrow i'll try the same only with kde...or i might just try a dual boot kde with slim.

Will post my results. x

ps. there's no package installer installed?

Glad that worked.
I havent found time to test the kde install, but your problem with kde-gtk-config package shouldnt lead you into a complete system fail since its installed after the kde.
Package installer installed??? (i didnt got the idea)... You can save the /var/cache/pacman/pkg folder, format and then put it back, it will just work fine.

EDIT: I have installed KDE and got a fully working system (kdm and everything), also no problem with automoc4... Idk what happen with your install sad

Last edited by helmuthdu (2012-09-27 22:31:05)

#150 2012-10-18 02:34:51

Flesh
Website

Great script, just a few things:
1. genfstab -p on line 478, change it to genfstab -U, reason is you should use UUID, I have many hard drives and sda may not be my boot drive.
2. Mirror list:

#GET COUNTRY CODE {{{
    get_country_code() 
    {
        print_title "Country Code for Mirror List - http://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/"
        print_title "Country Code for Mirror List - http://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/"
        print_info "Australia = AU | Belarus = BY | Belgium = BE | Brazil = BR | Bulgaria = BG | Canada = CA | Chile = CL"
        print_info "China = CN | Colombia = CO | Czech Republic = CZ | Denmark = DK | Estonia = EE | Finland = FI | France = FR"
        print_info "Germany = DE | Greece = GR | Hungary = HU | India = IN | Ireland = IE | Israel = IL | Italy = IT"
        print_info "Japan = JP | Kazakhstan = KZ | Korea = KR | Latvia = LV | Macedonia = MK | Netherlands = NL"
        print_info "New Caledonia = NC | New Zealand = NZ | Norway = NO | Poland = PL | Portugal = PT | Romania = RO | Russian Federation = RU"
        print_info "Serbia = RS | Singapore = SG | Slovakia = SK | South Africa = ZA | Spain = ES | Sri Lanka = LK | Sweden = SE"
        print_info "Switzerland = CH | Taiwan, Province of China = TW | Turkey = TR | Ukraine = UA | United Kingdom = GB | United States = US"
        print_info "Uzbekistan = UZ | Viet Nam = VN"
        echo -e "Country Code for Mirror List: [US]:\n"
        read_input "US"
    }   
    #}}}
    #GET MIRRORLIST {{{
    get_mirrorlist() 
    {
        # Backup and replace current mirrorlist file
        mv -if /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.orig
        url="http://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/?country=$1&protocol=ftp&protocol=http&ip_version=4&use_mirror_status=on"
        # Get latest mirror list and save to tmpfile
        wget -qO- "$url" | sed 's/^#Server/Server/g' > /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist 
    }
    #}}}
    #CONFIGURE MIRRORLIST {{{
    configure_mirrorlist(){
        get_country_code
        get_mirrorlist $OPTION
        #
        print_title "MIRRORS - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mirrors"
        print_info "http://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/?country=${OPTION}&protocol=ftp&protocol=http&ip_version=4&use_mirror_status=on"
        echo "Edit your mirrorlist"
        pause_function
        $EDITOR /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
    }
    #}}}

Much better, still working on getting UEFI to work, it works fine in BIOS mode.
cfdisk does not support GPT, so sgdisk would work, so I'm working on a function to do that and will update you with code when its working.

3. Not finished, but use sgdisk to format in GPT, I'll add a menu in function create_partition to allow this, but for now, I can not get UEFI to work, I did get it to work with Arch By Hand https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=129885&p=1.

Currently I created disk and formated (although I formated it again using your menu option, so they get mounted) it like this:

print_info "Creating UEFI disk..."
                        umount_partition "/dev/${installHardDrive}1"
                        umount_partition "/dev/${installHardDrive}2"
                        umount_partition "/dev/${installHardDrive}3"
                        umount_partition "/dev/${installHardDrive}4"
                        SWAPDISK="sgdisk -n 3:0:+${SWAPSIZE} /dev/$installHardDrive"
                        sgdisk -n 1:0:+512M /dev/$installHardDrive      # partition 1 (UEFI SYS), default start block, 512MB
                        sgdisk -n 2:0:+400M /dev/$installHardDrive      # partition 2 (BOOT), default start block, 400MB
                        $SWAPDISK                                       # partition 3 (SWAP), default start block, 16GB
                        sgdisk -n 4:0:0 /dev/$installHardDrive          # partition 4 (ROOT), default start, remaining space
                        #
                        # set partition types
                        sgdisk -t 1:ef00 /dev/$installHardDrive # partition 1 (UEFI SYS)
                        sgdisk -t 2:8300 /dev/$installHardDrive # partition 2 (BOOT)
                        sgdisk -t 3:8200 /dev/$installHardDrive # partition 3 (SWAP)
                        sgdisk -t 4:8300 /dev/$installHardDrive # partition 4 (ROOT)
                        #
                        # label partitions
                        sgdisk -c 1:"UEFISYS" /dev/$installHardDrive  # partition 1 (UEFI SYS)
                        sgdisk -c 2:"BOOT" /dev/$installHardDrive     # partition 2 (BOOT)
                        sgdisk -c 3:"SWAP" /dev/$installHardDrive     # partition 3 (SWAP)
                        sgdisk -c 4:"ROOT" /dev/$installHardDrive     # partition 4 (ROOT)

SWAPSIZE is a var set like this:

get_boot_type # set UEFI=1
                    print_info "Specify SWAP size as such: 512M or 16G"
                    read_number "Swap Size: [4G] " "4G"
                    SWAPSIZE=$OPTION

I would need to specify options for home and var, but right now I would just like to get it to boot.

I changed the script to pass in sda and assigned $2 to installHardDrive
like this

usage() 
{
  cat <<EOF
usage: --ais [install-on-hard-drive]

Options:
    -ais     ARCHLINUX INSTALL SCRIPTS MODE
    sdx      Drive to install too

ARCHLINUX INSTALL SCRIPTS MODE
Requires Install Drive Device name

./aui.sh --ais sda

Install Applications
./aui.sh

EOF
}
# above at top

# below just before line with: print_title "https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Install_Scripts"
    # Check Parameters
    if [ -z "$2" ]; then
        print_info "You must specify drive $2."
        usage
        exit 0
    else
        if [ -b "/dev/$2" ]; then
            print_info "Install to Drive: /dev/$2."
            installHardDrive=$2
        else
            usage
            exit 0
        fi
    fi

The issue I need to resolve so I can finish this script update is this:

I am booting off the latest Arch Linux ISO in UEFI mode, using a Sabertooth Asus motherboar with i7, I get the error canonical path of /boot/efi,
I ran modprobe efivars, no help; and I also get could not open procfs or sysfs for accessing EFI variables; which modprobe efivars did not fix.
I noted that folder "/sys/firmware" only have folders for apci and memmap in it; odd.
sda1 is mounted to /boot/efi and it contains folder EFI; you can see how I created partition above, I will try it with cfdisk and see if it does the same thing, but GPT is the way I want to go, so it beside the point, but important to know.

I can install using the BIOS option, just not the UEIF mode; the bios does show the drive as UEFI after this, but it fails to boot.

Last edited by Flesh (2012-10-18 03:26:50)

Board footer