You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-15 23:45:22

89c51
Member
Registered: 2012-06-05
Posts: 648

Suggestion for the Wiki. (systemd)

Systemd is in core and many people use and will use it or try to set up pure systemd systems.

However there are some stuff that are not described in the wiki. For example there is no systemd reference in NetworkManager, ntp, avahi etc.

Usually what needs to be added is something like a systemctl enable foo.servive.

And before someone asks why don't you do it yourself i will say that i don't feel comfortable contributing in an "Official" documentation project like the wiki. There is a great chance that i ll be wrong.

Thanks.

Offline

#2 2012-06-16 01:32:53

hadrons123
Member
From: chennai
Registered: 2011-10-07
Posts: 1,249

Re: Suggestion for the Wiki. (systemd)

The daemons arrray in /etc/rc.conf should  be loaded automatically by systemd. If something you need is not loaded you can try manually by

systemctl enable foo.service

. Those stuff are pretty basic.

I 'm not sure what else you are asking.


LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

Offline

#3 2012-06-16 02:37:27

drcouzelis
Member
From: Connecticut, USA
Registered: 2009-11-09
Posts: 3,441
Website

Re: Suggestion for the Wiki. (systemd)

Aw, don't be afraid of editing the wiki! It's fun, and if you make a mistake someone will correct it, so it's no problem. smile

Offline

#4 2012-06-16 08:34:05

89c51
Member
Registered: 2012-06-05
Posts: 648

Re: Suggestion for the Wiki. (systemd)

hadrons123 wrote:

The daemons arrray in /etc/rc.conf should  be loaded automatically by systemd. If something you need is not loaded you can try manually by

systemctl enable foo.service

. Those stuff are pretty basic.

I 'm not sure what else you are asking.

I went for a pure systemd system and i found that some instructions were missing. Yes it might be basic but for someone who is just starting an installation it might be useful. All i am asking is to add something like:

For systemd users

systemctl enable foo.service

wherever is needed. (network manager, avahi, ntp) A guide for a pure systemd system could also be usefull but its quite big of a task i think.

drcouzelis wrote:

Aw, don't be afraid of editing the wiki! It's fun, and if you make a mistake someone will correct it, so it's no problem. smile

It might be fun but i don't think there will be fun for someone that might follow the wrong instructions. So i think is a job for someone thats more knowledgeable.

Offline

#5 2012-06-16 08:46:20

tomk
Forum Fellow
From: Ireland
Registered: 2004-07-21
Posts: 9,837

Re: Suggestion for the Wiki. (systemd)

You've got the wrong idea about the wiki, and possibly about wikis in general. The wiki is definitely NOT an "official documentation project" - it is created and maintained by the user community, and at any given time, it will contain many errors and omissions. These are corrected over time, as part of the ongoing review and maintenance process.

That said, it is understandable if you don't feel confident enough yet to make direct changes. In that case, consider using the "discussion" tab at the top of any wiki page to make suggestions.

Offline

#6 2012-06-16 09:18:16

89c51
Member
Registered: 2012-06-05
Posts: 648

Re: Suggestion for the Wiki. (systemd)

tomk wrote:

You've got the wrong idea about the wiki, and possibly about wikis in general. The wiki is definitely NOT an "official documentation project" - it is created and maintained by the user community, and at any given time, it will contain many errors and omissions. These are corrected over time, as part of the ongoing review and maintenance process.

Well not for all the wikis but in a project like Arch where the wiki is the goto place for finding a solution i would expect things to be more "strict" and controlled in a way.

Anyway.

Offline

#7 2012-06-16 15:25:47

ngoonee
Forum Fellow
From: Between Thailand and Singapore
Registered: 2009-03-17
Posts: 6,816

Re: Suggestion for the Wiki. (systemd)

89c51 wrote:
tomk wrote:

You've got the wrong idea about the wiki, and possibly about wikis in general. The wiki is definitely NOT an "official documentation project" - it is created and maintained by the user community, and at any given time, it will contain many errors and omissions. These are corrected over time, as part of the ongoing review and maintenance process.

Well not for all the wikis but in a project like Arch where the wiki is the goto place for finding a solution i would expect things to be more "strict" and controlled in a way.

Anyway.

The reason its the goto place is because of strong community participation and generally strong community technical ability. Not to minimize the contributions of the devs, but all the devs+TUs together couldn't put together something that comprehensive, its a community effort.


Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Offline

#8 2012-06-16 19:57:30

ANOKNUSA
Member
Registered: 2010-10-22
Posts: 2,141

Re: Suggestion for the Wiki. (systemd)

89c51 wrote:

It might be fun but i don't think there will be fun for someone that might follow the wrong instructions. So i think is a job for someone thats more knowledgeable.

Do you mean someone more knowledgable than yourself?  If you don't know what you're doing, just how did you discover that some steps in the process were missing from the wiki?  Or, if you mean someone more knowledgeable about editing wikis, well, time you spend complaining here is time that could be spent learning.

Offline

#9 2012-06-16 21:14:39

89c51
Member
Registered: 2012-06-05
Posts: 648

Re: Suggestion for the Wiki. (systemd)

ANOKNUSA wrote:
89c51 wrote:

It might be fun but i don't think there will be fun for someone that might follow the wrong instructions. So i think is a job for someone thats more knowledgeable.

Do you mean someone more knowledgable than yourself?  If you don't know what you're doing, just how did you discover that some steps in the process were missing from the wiki?  Or, if you mean someone more knowledgeable about editing wikis, well, time you spend complaining here is time that could be spent learning.

More knowledgeable in linux than myself. I just follow the instructions and google. There is a big difference from someone who reads wikis and googles to someone who knows that the thing that he will suggest will work. Especially in a document that will be read by a lot of people. To give you an example ntp needs some setting up to work with NetworkManager which i still haven't figured out completely. I don't think you would like me to write an article in the wiki on that subject.

Offline

#10 2012-06-16 22:21:15

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 12,744

Re: Suggestion for the Wiki. (systemd)

I've an analogy.  When we start to learn Linux, we are all given a dunce cap to wear.   As we learn we are given awards;  little stickers of little stars, or cresent moons, As a reward, we are allowed to put these stickers on our dunce caps.  Eventually after we earn enough rewards and have stuck them to our caps, we start to look like wizards

Don't be bashful -- you are starting to look like a wizard smile

Last edited by ewaller (2012-06-16 23:37:19)


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Like you, I have no idea what you are doing, but I am pretty sure it is wrong...Jasonwryan
----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Online

#11 2012-06-17 06:20:43

Gcool
Member
Registered: 2011-08-16
Posts: 1,456

Re: Suggestion for the Wiki. (systemd)

ewaller wrote:

I've an analogy.  When we start to learn Linux, we are all given a dunce cap to wear.   As we learn we are given awards;  little stickers of little stars, or cresent moons, As a reward, we are allowed to put these stickers on our dunce caps.  Eventually after we earn enough rewards and have stuck them to our caps, we start to look like wizards

Don't be bashful -- you are starting to look like a wizard smile

I fully endorse this product and/or service.

*Gcool puts on his robe and wizard hat*


Burninate!

Offline

#12 2012-08-13 12:40:08

12eason
Member
Registered: 2010-07-20
Posts: 98

Re: Suggestion for the Wiki. (systemd)

Came here to ask a similar question. Is it standard policy now to update any instructions regarding adding daemons in rc.conf to include instructions for systemd services? Some instructions include the use of rc.d start .. which need alternative methods on a systemd only system.

Offline

#13 2012-09-25 11:00:26

xrchz
Member
Registered: 2009-04-03
Posts: 36

Re: Suggestion for the Wiki. (systemd)

I suggest using the {{out of date}} template to mark wiki pages that need updating for systemd. In particular, use the reason argument: {{out of date | systemd}}.

Offline

#14 2012-09-25 23:44:16

ngoonee
Forum Fellow
From: Between Thailand and Singapore
Registered: 2009-03-17
Posts: 6,816

Re: Suggestion for the Wiki. (systemd)

12eason wrote:

Came here to ask a similar question. Is it standard policy now to update any instructions regarding adding daemons in rc.conf to include instructions for systemd services? Some instructions include the use of rc.d start .. which need alternative methods on a systemd only system.

There IS no 'policy' as such. If the wiki is outdated, fix it (preferably) or mark it outdated.

Key word - community effort.


Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB