You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-24 19:05:57

lfxgroove

When headphones are plugged in the audio jack (3.5mm) there's no sound

Hi!

I've had archlinux on my "big" computer for some time now and decided to install it on my laptop, an acer m3. Everything is working fine and as i wish, except for the sound not playing in my headphones when they are connected. It seems that when i plug the headphones in the soundcard is blocked or something along those lines, i've just tried playing around with the settings in alsamixer which resulted in nothing. Is there something obvious i'm overlooking? I'm not using a .asoundrc file, should i?

Output of some commands i suppose might be useful:

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC269VB Analog [ALC269VB Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
lsmod | grep '^snd' | column -t
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     23704  1
snd_hda_codec_realtek  59152  1
snd_hda_intel          25700  1
snd_hda_codec          97432  3  snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep              6300   1  snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                74926  3  snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
snd_page_alloc         7217   2  snd_pcm,snd_hda_intel
snd_timer              18966  1  snd_pcm
snd                    60021  9  snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_pcm,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 | grep Codec
Codec: Realtek ALC269VB

Also, here's my /var/lib/alsa/asound.state which might perhaps be interesting?: http://pastebin.com/ENuvatag

aplay -D plughw:0,0 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

works fine when i turn automute off in alsamixer but then only the speakers play the sound, if i turn automute on in alsamixer then it still says the sound is playing but everything is quiet. Is it possible that ALSA somehow mutes/blocks my headphones?

Thanks in advance for any help!

#2 2012-09-24 21:46:02

natestar13

Re: When headphones are plugged in the audio jack (3.5mm) there's no sound

Your headphone output and speaker output are part of the same sound card, so if ALSA was blocking the headphone output, it would do the same to the speakers.  It could be a hardware issue.  Have you verified that the headphone output works using a liveCD?  Also, have you tried a second pair of headphones?

Machine:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M92 (M3209) - Inte i7-3770 CPU

#3 2012-09-24 22:12:24

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Have you looked at the Alsa topic in the wiki? especially the Troubleshooting section on No Headphone Sound with Onboard Intel Sound Card ?

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-09-24 22:14:31)

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#4 2012-09-25 05:07:11

lfxgroove

natestar13 wrote:

Your headphone output and speaker output are part of the same sound card, so if ALSA was blocking the headphone output, it would do the same to the speakers.  It could be a hardware issue.  Have you verified that the headphone output works using a liveCD?  Also, have you tried a second pair of headphones?

I'm multibooting with Windows and there it seems to be working fine. I sadly don't have a second pair, but i've verified that these work both with my other computer and on windows on the laptop, should i try to get a hold of some others anyway?

2ManyDogs wrote:

Have you looked at the Alsa topic in the wiki? especially the Troubleshooting section on No Headphone Sound with Onboard Intel Sound Card ?

How do i know if this applies to me? And how would i check if i have a Intel onboard sound card?

Thanks for the quick replies!

Last edited by lfxgroove (2012-09-25 15:26:11)

#5 2012-09-25 16:15:40

lfxgroove

It would seem that i'm a bit stupid or something along those lines, after fiddling some more i realise that it was some kind of intermittent contact. So i'll have to stick with trying to keep the computer at an angle for now.

How do i edit this thread to mark it as solved?

#6 2012-09-25 16:19:19

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

lfxgroove wrote:

Just edit the title of your first post. I'm happy you got it solved -- don't worry, we've all done things like this. At least you admitted it smile

By the way (for future reference), you asked

lfxgroove wrote:

How do i know if this applies to me? And how would i check if i have a Intel onboard sound card?

Take a look at the output in your first post. See that "HDA Intel PCH"? See in the "lsmod" output where it says it's using the snd_hda_intel module? You can also check the output of

lspci | grep -i audio

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-09-29 13:17:50)

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#7 2012-09-29 13:16:57

lfxgroove

2ManyDogs wrote:
lfxgroove wrote:

Just edit the title of your first post. I'm happy you got it solved -- don't worry, we've all done things like this. At least you admitted it smile

By the way (for future reference), you asked

lfxgroove wrote:

Take a look at the output in your first post. See that "HDA Intel PCH"? See in the "lsmod" output where it says it's using the snd_hda_intel module? You can also check the output of

lspci | grep -1 audio

Ahh, thanks  a heap!

Board footer