You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-28 04:33:22

rb3

[SOLVED] Power button and laptop lid close rules not followed (KDE)

I'm using KDE 4.9.1, and the rules I set for the power button and lid close events in the KDE power management settings are not followed.

Currently, I have the power button press event set to trigger hibernation, and the lid close event set to turn off the display. Instead, the power button causes the laptop to power down immediately, as if the 'poweroff' command was issued. Closing the lid causes the system to suspend to ram.

This problem seemed to have started when I installed 'laptop-mode-tools' and 'acpid'. The problem persisted even when I uninstalled the said packages from the system. Most solutions on the internet involve adjusting the contents of files in /etc/acpi/, but that directory does not exist on my system. I also tried deleting the power management configuration files in the ~/.kde4/share/config directory, but that didn't fix the problem either.

Hibernation works if I choose 'hibernate' from the KDE menu.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by rb3 (2012-09-28 05:46:56)

#2 2012-09-28 04:55:37

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Power button and laptop lid close rules not followed (KDE)

Did you happen to upgrade systemd at the same time? There are some new behaviors in logind that can take over these functions. Man longind.conf should give you the info you need to customize it.

#3 2012-09-28 05:29:53

rb3

Thanks for the feedback smile.

Actually, I switched to systemd about a month ago, but I never had the power button problem until yesterday. I looked at the systemd's logind file, but all the power management functions (i.e. hibernate) were commented out, so I figured they didn't affect anything. I will, however, check it out further.

#4 2012-09-28 05:41:08

Scimmia
Fellow

This change just happened with 190 or 191 a few days ago. Commented out means it uses the default behavior, which is what you're seeing. If you want to override it, you need to uncomment those lines and set them.

#5 2012-09-28 05:44:05

rb3

I see. I just edited the file, and everything is back to normal. Thanks for the help smile.

#6 2012-09-30 10:50:40

ChALkeR

That's not a good solution.

Changes in systemd default behaviour are reasonable. It guarantees that if your graphical enviroment has no suspend support, it will still suspend when the lid is closed.
For example, closing the laptop lid at KDM login screen will now suspend the laptop. I remember a topic when someone nearly killed his notebook battery with overheat in that situation (the laptop did not suspend when the lid was closed at kdm screen).
This change also brings native (non-acpid) suspend support to lighweight desktop enviroments.

The source of the «double suspend» problem is in acynchronized update of systemd and KDE.
Updating KDE to 4.9.2 (which will be released in several days) will fix this without editing the config file.

Make sure you restore the original logind.conf after updating to KDE 4.9.2.

See:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/s … 06604.html
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=307412
https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/106533/

#7 2012-09-30 11:07:56

ChALkeR

#8 2012-09-30 11:41:26

Scimmia
Fellow

ChALkeR wrote:

The source of the «double suspend» problem is in acynchronized update of systemd and KDE.
Updating KDE to 4.9.2 (which will be released in several days) will fix this without editing the config file.

Wrong. Without making changes to the default logind.conf, you will still have "the «double suspend» problem". See my reply to your other post.

#9 2012-09-30 12:33:52

ChALkeR

Scimmia wrote:
ChALkeR wrote:

Wrong. Without making changes to the default logind.conf, you will still have "the «double suspend» problem". See my reply to your other post.

Are you sure that you have read my post correctly?
What is your KDE version?

I repeat, you need 4.9.2, which will come out in a few days.

Edit: ok, i saw the problem described in your other post. I'll link it here for reference: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 8#p1168688.

Last edited by ChALkeR (2012-09-30 12:40:03)

Board footer