You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-30 13:24:35

tuvistavie
Website

[SOLVED] Hostname appearing in titlebar

Hi,

I'm using ArchLinux with Openbox as a WM and LXDE as a DE.
A while ago, I don't really know if it's after an update or what but in my windows' titlebar after the application title there is "(localhost)" written.
Here's what it looks like :
titlebar.
As I really don't need this, I'd like to remove it but after having searched what I could about Openbox and LXDE I haven't found anything.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by tuvistavie (2012-09-30 17:51:11)

#2 2012-09-30 15:58:17

DSpider

Re: [SOLVED] Hostname appearing in titlebar

Check:

/etc/hostname
/etc/hosts

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … e#Hostname

And make sure that you don't have any "HOSTNAME=" set in /etc/rc.conf.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-09-30 17:50:07

tuvistavie
Website

Thank you very much, that was it!
I tried removing /etc/hostname and it just went fine. However $HOSTNAME was not defined anymore after that so I tried to define it in /etc/rc.conf and that worked properly.

#4 2012-09-30 18:12:22

DSpider

Um, rc.conf is not what it used to be... That's the legacy way of setting a hostname. Basically, the new rc.conf has just the DAEMONS line in there. Everything else has been outsourced.

See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rc.conf

Last edited by DSpider (2012-09-30 18:27:14)

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#5 2012-09-30 18:44:24

tuvistavie
Website

After checking this I tried to put back "localhost" in /etc/hostname and to remove HOSTNAME= from /etc/rc.conf. I have no idea, but why this time the hostname did not apperar in the titlebar again, so I'm kind of confused but anyway the problem is fixed so thank you very much!

#6 2012-09-30 18:57:37

DSpider

Read the note from the rc.conf wiki page:

Note: Using the legacy configuration options in /etc/rc.conf for system configuring still works (for now) with the default init system, but the new configuration files take precedence and using them is recommended. The new files will also work for configuring systemd.

Board footer