You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-30 16:58:28

71GA

[SOLVED] Can't login into Arch Linux

Hello!

I can't login into my Arch as everytime i type down my username and password i get this error:

cmd: unknown flag:" '()'

Is there any way i can login and fix this? I just need to login...

Last edited by 71GA (2012-09-30 22:29:49)

C, ARM, ARM assembly, HTML, CSS, JS, Linux

#2 2012-09-30 18:17:09

Dans564

Re: [SOLVED] Can't login into Arch Linux

I'm not sure what you are trying to do. Is this a problem with Windows? Please explain further.

#3 2012-09-30 18:25:14

DSpider

This isn't the Windows support forum.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … pport_ONLY

Community technical support shall only be provided for the Arch Linux distribution and the Arch User Repository. Threads concerning issues with, and requesting support for, derivate distributions, or operating systems other than Arch Linux are prohibited and will be closed.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2012-09-30 18:27:03

ewaller
Administrator

I think you guys are misunderstanding him.  I think he means X.  I think hmm

71GA:  Can you get to a console by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1   ??

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2012-09-30 19:15:18

71GA

When i turn on my computer i get to Slim login screen where i type in my password and my ID which is correct i am 100% sure.
I tried to login using root acc and my acc, but neither of those 2 will work as i get the message which i mentioned in my first post.

I allso tried to login by changing console with key combo CTRL+ALT+F2/F3/F4. I can change into another console, but i still can't
login.

Is there any variant to login (thats all i need) even if using Live CD or anything... I tried to put in Arch CD and boot it (like i would
if i wanted to install Arch) but i lack experience to locate any of my files which i have to fix.

Last edited by 71GA (2012-09-30 19:18:07)

#6 2012-09-30 19:26:50

Awebb

I had this once, it was solved by reinstalling glibc.

Here a quick walkthrough:
1. Boot the latest installer, pick your platform (32bit or 64bit)
2. mount your root partition to /mnt (use e.g. blkid if you don't know which one it is)
3. pacstrap /mnt glibc
4. unmount the root partition

If you want to fix anything else inside a broken arch, use arch-chroot from the installer shell. You should also read the official install guide in the wiki, fixing things is almost like installing a system.

#7 2012-09-30 19:42:56

bgc1954

Are you sure you have an .xinitrc and it is executable?  See slim wiki.  It could be that simple.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#8 2012-09-30 20:00:10

71GA

Awebb wrote:

I had this once, it was solved by reinstalling glibc.

Here a quick walkthrough:
1. Boot the latest installer, pick your platform (32bit or 64bit)
2. mount your root partition to /mnt (use e.g. blkid if you don't know which one it is)
3. pacstrap /mnt glibc
4. unmount the root partition

If you want to fix anything else inside a broken arch, use arch-chroot from the installer shell. You should also read the official install guide in the wiki, fixing things is almost like installing a system.

Reinstalling glibc did not fix my issue. Can you explain a bit more on how to browse my installed linux after mounting it to /mnt?

I did mount my / partition using command:

mount /dev/sda3 /mnt

Then i changed my root by using:

arch-chroot /mnt

But when i check the home folder it is empty. It should have a ton of files there...

Last edited by 71GA (2012-09-30 20:06:54)

#9 2012-09-30 20:14:14

DSpider

It's empty probably because you have a separate home partition, which you forgot to mount after mounting the root partition (and before running "arch-chroot /mnt").

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … partitions

Pay attention, because the mounting order is important.

By the way, you can browse with ls. And you may wanna add the "-a" option, because it doesn't show the so-called "dot" files (hidden), by default.

# ls
# ls <some_path>
# ls -a /mnt/home
# ls -l /etc

This is basic UNIX stuff, man...

Last edited by DSpider (2012-09-30 20:17:58)

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#10 2012-09-30 21:53:40

71GA

DSpider wrote:

It's empty probably because you have a separate home partition, which you forgot to mount after mounting the root partition (and before running "arch-chroot /mnt").

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … partitions

Pay attention, because the mounting order is important.

By the way, you can browse with ls. And you may wanna add the "-a" option, because it doesn't show the so-called "dot" files (hidden), by default.

# ls
# ls <some_path>
# ls -a /mnt/home
# ls -l /etc

This is basic UNIX stuff, man...

I never asked you to tell me how to navigate in console. I know the ls comand and terminal navigation basics.

I did sucessfully mount all my files and i can see them, but when i want to edit them with nano i get the following error:

Error opening terminal: linux.

I think this is the last riddle that i have to solve and i ll be able to restore my Arch.

EDIT:
I saved this by setting my root into /mnt by using this command after mounting:

arch-chroot /mnt

Last edited by 71GA (2012-09-30 22:29:22)

#11 2012-10-01 05:38:52

DSpider

You're the one who asked "Can you explain a bit more on how to browse my installed linux after mounting it to /mnt?"

Another way would be to use a CLI file manager, like Midnight Commander:

# pacman -S mc

Board footer