You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-30 19:31:35

David López

Start thunderbird really minimized

Hi. I use arch with lxde and openbox. I want to start thunderbird minimized, I've tried different solutions

- Firetray and Minimize on start and close extensions
- wmctrl -r "Bandeja de Entrada - Mozilla Thunderbird" -b add,hidden
- alltray thunderbird

However all of these solutions suffer the same problem: thunderbird window is visible (just a moment, only 50 miliseconds with Minimize on start and close, but visible) and then it hides. I want the window completely invisible on starting.

Does anyone know how to start thunderbird really hidden? Thanks.

#2 2012-09-30 20:14:53

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

Re: Start thunderbird really minimized

Have you tried setting a per-application window property in Openbox? You should be able to set Thunderbird to open "iconic" (iconified, or minimized): http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Applications

<iconic>no</iconic>
    # make the window iconified when it appears, or not

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-09-30 20:16:16)

#3 2012-09-30 21:12:48

DSpider

One way I can think of (and there may be better ways than this), is to start it on a different desktop (e.g. desktop #2), minimize it, move it to the first, and then remove the second desktop, so that there's no flickering. I'm sure that it can be done either with a script, or with a Bash function. But what, exactly, do you mean by "really minimized" ? Minimized to the tray?

Last edited by DSpider (2012-09-30 21:13:18)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2012-09-30 22:32:58

David López

DSpider wrote:

But what, exactly, do you mean by "really minimized" ? Minimized to the tray?

Not exactly, actually I start my user session with thunderbird minimized to tray with firetray, but the window in visible a fraction of second before it I hides to the tray (a bit ugly when starting a session). I mean 'really' minimized to remove this fraction of second.

I didn't notice the openbox rc file. Tested your ideas and both worked: open iconified an open in another desktop. Now I don't see the thunderbird window that fraction of second. However there're new smaller problems.

- open iconified from openbox: some related windows are also open hidden (for example, preferences of the extensions).

- open in second desktop from openbox: clicking on the icon tray open thunderbird in the second desktop, not in the current desktop.

I will try to solve one of those (very, very tiny) issues to have a perfect solution. Thanks to both.

Board footer