You are not logged in.

#276 2012-09-28 04:25:34

Supplantr
Website

Re: goomwwm: Get out of my way, window manager!

I've been using compton with goomwwm and everything works as expected, save a minor graphical issue: the drop shadows on windows are drawn between the window itself and the window border. I don't know if that's a problem related to compton or goomwwm.

Good luck with the code cleanup, and don't forget to make goomwwm ignore horz/vert maximize for windows that have a maximum size. wink

I use linux and I dont understand nothing in this post.

#277 2012-09-28 11:03:27

sime

As much as I tend to use stuff from OpenBSD base, e.g. cwm for WM, I tend to switch back to goomwwm! I am using bone-stock config with only two entries in RC file:

1  xterm
2  xombrero

Maybe because it is similar to cwm, but slightly more convinient in some areas. Ahh the WM hopping...

#278 2012-09-28 12:02:58

ksira

@aerosuidae

Yes, Screens 1 and 2 are on different video cards.

I don't have the xrandr extension loaded.

Here is the rest of my xorg.org file in case it can help you.

> cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitors.conf
# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings:  version 295.49  (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-07.nvidia.com)  Tue May  1 00:53:58 PDT 2012

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
    Screen      2  "Screen2" RightOf "Screen1"
#    Screen       0  "Screen1" 0 0
#    Screen       1  "Screen2" RightOf "Screen1"
#    Screen       2  "Screen0" LeftOf  "Screen1"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
#    InputDevice   "stylus"
#    InputDevice   "eraser"
#    InputDevice   "cursor"
    Option         "Xinerama" "1"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Samsung SyncMaster"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 81.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 63.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor1"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "DELL U2412M"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 83.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 61.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor2"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "DELL 1908FP"
    HorizSync       31.0 - 83.0
    VertRefresh     56.0 - 76.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce GTX 580"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen          0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device1"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    BoardName      "GeForce GTX 580"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen          1
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device2"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    BoardName      "Quadro FX 550"
    BusID          "PCI:5:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
    Option         "TwinView" "0"
    Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-3"
    Option         "metamodes" "DFP-3: nvidia-auto-select "
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen1"
    Device         "Device1"
    Monitor        "Monitor1"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-4"
    Option         "metamodes" "DFP-4: nvidia-auto-select { Rotation=left }"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen2"
    Device         "Device2"
    Monitor        "Monitor2"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
    Option         "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

#279 2012-09-28 14:06:31

dublindan

One feature request I have is a configuration option to swap the use of 1, 2, 3... and F1, F2, F3... I personally use the Fx keys much much more regularly than the number keys as I'm a heavy user of tags but don't use the -1, -2, ..., -9 feature very often at all and I find the Fx keys are a bit too far away from the home row for my liking.

I had another idea for a feature too and wanted to see if other people think it would be useful (ie don't add it to your list unless you or others would find it helpful too).

I was thinking in terms of workspaces and how 2d grids of workspaces can make managing lots of workspaces easier and I was thinking about how sometimes cycling through all my tags makes it hard to find what I'm looking for. I'm a heavy user of tags and so Mod-Fx are exceptionally useful, but sometimes I feel like I could do with 1) more tags and 2) tags for tags ;-) So I was thinking that perhaps multiple groups of tags exist, eg, A1, A2 ... A9, B1, B2 ... B9, C1, C2 ... C9 etc and they would behave just like a 2d grid of workspaces in that if the active tag was A3 and you switched to the B group, the new active tag would be B3. If you then switched to tag 7 it would be B7 and so on. I think just a prev/next button for the group and 3 or 4 (A-C, A-D) groups would be enough. Would anybody other than me find this useful?

#280 2012-09-28 14:42:35

bgc1954

@ aerosuidae:
I've just been playing around with world of padman--I believe you introduced the sdl hack for sanskritfritz for wop and a couple other sdl games.  Even though my goomwwm has the sdl hack commented out, world of padman still functions fine fullscreen for me now.  Mod+f have no effect on the game, It starts fullscreen and stays the same if you hit mod+f.  And something funny is going on here because now I can play blockattack and flobopuyo fullscreen as well without a locked up black screen with an enlarged titlebar.  Hmmmm.....

Edit: turns out that if I start flobopuyo or blockattack in windowed mode it will go fullscreen if that option is picked from the menu, but once fullscreen is set, it won't startup in fullscreen mode.

@dublindan:
I don't know how you can use so many tags and windows.  You must be a busy guy.  I personally never have more than a couple windows open at a time and I still haven't really used tags at all.  Different strokes for different folks, I guess.  Having more tags wouldn't do much for me, but that's just me. smile

Last edited by bgc1954 (2012-09-28 15:36:05)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#281 2012-09-30 18:06:42

dublindan

bgc1954 wrote:

@dublindan:
I don't know how you can use so many tags and windows.  You must be a busy guy.  I personally never have more than a couple windows open at a time and I still haven't really used tags at all.  Different strokes for different folks, I guess.  Having more tags wouldn't do much for me, but that's just me. smile

Maybe my use case is not particular normal, but I generally have multiple tags of urxvt instances and then another handful for other things (documentation, web browser, irc). The tags for the terminals are usually used for specific tasks - I'd have one or more where I'm editing various text files, usually a tag would have a single fullscreen urxvt instance running vim, then I'd have a tag with a few terminals running various server software that I'm developing with locally, then another task running interactive command prompts (eg psql or just running CLI tools) and then another tag for terminals where I'm ssh'd into servers. So over all, the tags can sometimes add up! Of course, it really depends on what I'm doing, though right now I'm doing a lot of development and testing of server software, so typically that uses up a lot of terminals which I like to keep on separate tags sorted by function.

#282 2012-09-30 19:24:20

bgc1954

@dublindan:
That confirms it...you are a busy guy. wink

@aerosuidae:
I thought goomwwm was doing funny things with firefox in fullscreen--loses menu bar and navigation bar--but turns out it does the same in all the other wm's I have.  Midori doesn't do this so I thought it was a problem with firefox but I guess it's a planned behavior to see the entire screen without toolbars.

Last edited by bgc1954 (2012-09-30 19:34:50)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#283 2012-10-01 00:35:00

aerosuidae

@Supplantr, thanks for reporting compton drop-shadows. I'll investigate. No promises on a quick fix though as eye candy is not top of my list wink

@ksira, thanks for the xorg.conf. I'll try to replicate the layout. Presently I've only tested dual head with rotation, no more. The window movement code chooses a monitor to move to by looking for one adjacent to the edge of the current monitor. If one edge is not working, try moving windows off all the other edges in case it is a rotation bug.

@dublindan, your 2D tags make my head hurt wink Finding stuff on a complex desktop is why the window switcher exists, and for multiple grouped terminals... tmux! Anyway, I'm saying no to 2D tags in v1.1 as the current design will not support it, and a provisional "maybe" in the future. Yes to swapping 1,2,3 and F1,F2,F3 in v1.1.

@bgc1954, I'm leaving the SDL hack in for now because, even though SDL and wine are equally unexciting, SDL wins since it is easier to test!

Last edited by aerosuidae (2012-10-01 00:37:21)

#284 2012-10-01 10:15:37

ksira

@aerosuidae,

One more thing, that I probably forgot to mention, that makes me think this is not a rotation bug (I have tried keybord moving to the other edges), is that if I drag the window to the edge using the mouse it appears correctly on the other screen.

#285 2012-10-01 18:02:52

bgc1954

With the attitude to learn something new today, I created a patch to remove the sdl hack and I'll just include it here with the new PKGBUILD if someone else is interested.  For me, I play more wine games than sdl so I thought a patch approach might be good, and a good thing to learn--my head still hurts. wink

PKGBUILD

# Contributor: Sean Pringle <sean.pringle@gmail.com>

pkgname=goomwwm-git
pkgver=20121001
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Get out of my way, Window Manager!"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="http://github.com/seanpringle/goomwwm"
license=('MIT')
depends=('libx11' 'libxft' 'freetype2')
makedepends=('git')
provides=('goomwwm')
source=("no_sdl.patch")
md5sums=('84a38362022a77fb7e4e23c13ca80a35')

_gitroot="git://github.com/seanpringle/goomwwm.git"
_gitname="goomwwm"

build() {
  cd "$srcdir"
  msg "Connecting to GIT server...."

if [ -d $_gitname ] ; then
    cd $_gitname && git pull origin
    msg "The local files are updated."
  else
    git clone $_gitroot --depth=1
  fi

msg "GIT checkout done or server timeout"
  msg "Starting make..."

rm -rf "$srcdir/$_gitname-build"
  cp -r "$srcdir/$_gitname" "$srcdir/$_gitname-build"
  cd "$srcdir/$_gitname-build"
  patch -p1 -i $srcdir/no_sdl.patch 
  make
}

package() {
  cd "$srcdir/$_gitname-build"
  install -Dm 755 $_gitname "$pkgdir/usr/bin/$_gitname"
  install -Dm 644 "$_gitname.desktop" "$pkgdir/usr/share/xsessions/$_gitname.desktop"
  gzip -c "$_gitname.1" > "$_gitname.1.gz"
  install -Dm644 "$_gitname.1.gz" "$pkgdir/usr/share/man/man1/$_gitname.1.gz"
}

no_sdl.patch

--- a/handle.c	2012-10-01 11:24:17.000000000 -0600
+++ b/handle.c	2012-10-01 11:26:26.000000000 -0600
@@ -782,11 +782,11 @@

// special hack for fullscreen override_redirect windows (like SDL apps) that are stupid.
 	// ensure they get raised above the focused window once. after that they're on their own.
-	if (c && c->xattr.override_redirect && !c->cache->is_ours)
+	/*if (c && c->xattr.override_redirect && !c->cache->is_ours)
 	{
 		client_extended_data(c);
 		XRaiseWindow(display, c->window);
-	}
+	}*/
 }

// unmapping could indicate the focus window has closed

If nothing else it's something I can refer to if I delete the original somehow. smile I don't know if I did it exactly correctly but it works!

Last edited by bgc1954 (2012-10-01 18:04:57)

#286 2012-10-02 14:30:09

jdarnold
Website

Love this window manager! Having fun playing with it, but one thing I miss from openbox is the ability to swap "desktops" by rolling the wheel on the desktop. Is that possible with GOOMWWM?

#287 2012-10-03 01:12:05

jdarnold
Website

BTW, the link to 'wmname' is wrong. The new one is http://tools.suckless.org/wmname

#288 2012-10-03 02:49:44

aerosuidae

@ksira, right, not a rotation bug, then. Thanks for checking.

@jdarnold, switching tags with the mouse wheel is not possible. No plans to implement it, but if enough people ask or someone contributes a patch... wink

The wmname link has been corrected. Thanks.

#289 2012-10-04 05:43:05

aerosuidae

@dublindan, see new -appkeys functions option in goomwwm-git to swap tag and app key sets.

@ksira, I've added a monitornav branch with improved multi-head movement code if you care to test... I havn't replicated your exact bug yet, so I'm guessing a bit and fixing edge cases (literally wink)

Last edited by aerosuidae (2012-10-04 06:36:34)

#290 2012-10-04 16:31:58

bgc1954

Somethings happened with your number and function swap commit.  Now my Alt+number keys are 1 higher than my .goomwwmrc wants.  Alt+1 gives me nothing, Alt+2 gives me my urxvt--which should be Alt+1.

Edit: I read the manpage again and numbers are supposed to be the default.  I tried specifying in my .goomwwmrc

appkeys numbers

but my apps still launch with a number +1 higher.

Edit2: just looked at your goomwwm.h commit and somehow you put the XK_0 at the end of the line instead of the start--line 456 compared to line 454.  Just changed it and rebuilt and all works as before. Must have been a late night. wink

Last edited by bgc1954 (2012-10-04 16:59:05)

#291 2012-10-05 00:16:29

aerosuidae

@bgc1954, thanks smile I went to use my own app keys this morning and confused myself for a while too. Fix committed.

#292 2012-10-09 13:18:55

dublindan

aerosuidae wrote:

@dublindan, see new -appkeys functions option in goomwwm-git to swap tag and app key sets.

Awesome! Thanks very much! :-P

#293 2013-01-15 23:40:59

Vixus

Hmm, so I was playing around with compton and trying to get urxvt to use true transparency. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work and I think I know why.. the window border is also drawn as the background, so instead of seeing the root image under urxvt I see the active border colour. I know you're not focusig on eye candy at the moment but is this necessary?

#294 2013-06-03 19:34:06

SanskritFritz
Website

@aerosuidae Are you still active in this project? The AUR git PKGBUILD is very outdated.

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#295 2013-06-04 12:43:48

aerosuidae

Thanks for the updated PKGBUILD.

I'm using xoat much of the time (for getting stuff done), and goomwwm some of the time. Still accepting bug reports on both.

#296 2013-06-09 10:12:21

J.

I'm trying this out as a replacement for Compiz, and it seems interesting so far.  Some things that would be nice (you'll notice I'm just trying to replicate Compiz with some of these...):

• The -swap* defaults seem to be wrong in man page.

• An option to display the current window size while resizing (in a box like -flashtitle).

• A placement mode like Compiz's 'smart' mode - that is, place windows where they will cover the least area of other windows.

• The ability to resize a window from other corners than the bottom-right.

• Tags arranged in a grid (like Compiz 'desktop wall').  I'm aware this doesn't quite line up with what tags are (and how they're not quite workspaces).  I just think spatially and would like to be able to switch between tags in a spatial manner, which I feel is more intuitive when you have a grid rather than a long row.  It would be enough, though, for my panel to display the layout as a grid, along with the next point:

• The ability to run actions associated with keybindings in -cli mode.  So, something like 'goomwwm -cli -do-close' to close the focused window.  (The reason for this is to make it possible to script actions - which would make the above 'desktop wall' possible with a simple shell script, assuming I could find a way to get the current tag.  I'm also trying out bspwm, and I really like this about it.)

• Something like the arrow keys for positioning, but to move all the way in that direction, to the edge of the screen.  Because lazy.

Sorry if some of these are already possible and I just missed them (I only discovered goomwwm yesterday).

Also, not really your fault, but does anyone have any idea why xcompmgr/cairo-compmgr mess things up in pagers (less, man, vim) in transparent urxvt (http://i.imgur.com/xkoA7BV.png)?

#297 2013-06-10 12:50:23

aerosuidae

J. wrote:

The ability to resize a window from other corners than the bottom-right.

Mod4-Button3 should allow resizing from anywhere on a window. Goomwwm doesn't do border/corner grabs for window resizing. Some apps do implement it themselves.

I'll investigate your other ideas. Probably not interested in the grid of tags since, as you noted, that duty can be left to a pager, but Compiz's smart mode sounds interesting.

Wow... Compiz... last time I installed that behemoth was so many years and distros ago :-)

Last edited by aerosuidae (2013-06-10 12:50:42)

#298 2013-06-10 13:40:16

J.

aerosuidae wrote:

Mod4-Button3 should allow resizing from anywhere on a window. Goomwwm doesn't do border/corner grabs for window resizing. Some apps do implement it themselves.

I meant that it always resizes by moving the bottom-right corner, where it would be more intuitive to resize by moving the corner closest to the point you first click.

aerosuidae wrote:

Probably not interested in the grid of tags since, as you noted, that duty can be left to a pager

I didn't mean that I could already do this - it seems to be provided by the WM?  I'm using Xfce's panel.

#299 2013-09-09 14:41:51

dublindan

Just in case anybody comes across this thread and is wondering if anybody uses goomwwm, I've been using it exclusively as my window manager since a few days after goomwwm was released and I find it very nice (and stable) to work with.

#300 2013-09-25 20:50:47

Jellicent

Would anybody care to share screenshots (and configs, if possible)?
I'm willing to try it out, sounds like it could replace openbox for me, but I need some inspiration. wink

Board footer