You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-01 15:58:06

Nanthiel

[Solved] Odd USB mouse behaviour on boot, needs replug to work

Hey everyone,

this post may seem similiar to the others that have been popping up about USB mice not working on boot, but I still couldn't fix my problem using those threads and I have a suspicion that mine's cause is different.

Anyway: the mouse seems frozen when X starts. After a click and 1--2 seconds, it wakes up. But if I leave it inactive for a couple of seconds, it freezes up again and requires a click to wake up again. If I replug it, it stops doing that and works properly. It feels as if drivers are getting unloaded and loaded.

I'm assuming this is a udev issue, but I don't know how to approach it. I recently switched to systemd from initscripts, but this behaviour has been the same before and now.

The outputs of lsmod and lsusb are equal when the mouse is "frozen" and when it's working.

Thanks for your attention, Matej

P. s. This doesn't happen on Ubuntu, just for comparison.

Last edited by Nanthiel (2012-10-01 19:57:11)

#2 2012-10-01 17:28:09

Beavis

Re: [Solved] Odd USB mouse behaviour on boot, needs replug to work

The symptoms you describe make me think they are to do with power saving.

I have a Logitech MX518 mouse that behaves exactly the way you describe when I activate Autosuspend in Powertop.

Leaving the Autosuspend option set to bad instead of good fixes the problem for me and may for you too.

#3 2012-10-01 17:50:21

Nanthiel

I checked my device in powertop and it was set to "Bad", so that couldn't have been it, I guess.

But your idea made me think, and my "cute little" power script is actually causing this behaviour! I don't know what line exactly does this, but when I find out, I'll write it here. It has to be this script because when I unplug the power cord (or plug it in), the mouse stops working properly!

In case it isn't this script, I'll respond here aswell.

Thanks!

#4 2012-10-01 19:56:28

Nanthiel

Here's the part of my power script that messed things up:

# Bus power control
for item in /sys/bus/*/devices/*/power/control
do
    echo -n "auto" > "$item"
done

I can't believe I've been blaming udev all this time. wink

Marking as solved.