You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-28 12:30:42

chisleu

[SOLVED] Iconia 6120 Compatability

It seems most of the the hardware on the Acer Iconia 6120 is linux-ready, including the dual displays.

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of anyone getting the touchscreens working. Although it's not a deal breaker, I would like them working.

I purchased it because of it's twin 14" displays. This way it's very compact (will fit in my motorcycle bag) and has a lot of screen real estate for coding. I was drawn to it because of it's lack of a hardware keyboard. I carry my keyboard everywhere because I have a hard time adapting between keyboards. I've hit 60wpm with my right hand only on a standard 101 key keyboard.

It's on it's way, and if no one has any information, I will be documenting all the needed packages/settings to get everything working that I can get working.

Also I'll be replacing the harddrive with an SSD so now I need to do some bbs / wiki searching on SSD-only machines.

Last edited by chisleu (2013-05-10 13:30:38)

#2 2012-10-01 22:26:41

chisleu

Re: [SOLVED] Iconia 6120 Compatability

I got my Iconia 6120 today!!

I quickly installed a free copy of Windows 8 MS gives students at my college and very quickly pulled that HDD out of the machine. Windows 8 does not work well out of the box, and there was no clear method of configuring anything so I put it aside for now.

I installed arch 64 bit and have it up and running.

I had to install the elo touchscreen xf86 input driver for Elo USB touchscreens. It made the top touchscreen work PERFECTLY!!

Apparently with multi-touchscreen systems, one has to assign the 2nd touchscreen to the second screen.

This is where I'm having trouble. I don't have a second screen. Xfce4's "Display" settings show two displays called "Laptop" but the second display doesn't work.

If I plug in an HDMI monitor and startxfce4, I get no monitor output (although the HDMI activates, turning the monitor on.)

When I ctrl+c on that console, video brightness drops a lot but the screen comes back on.

I'm still beating on it, but I can't find anyone who is using both these displays on anything but a canned distro such as Ubuntu. (Where it is said to work)

#3 2012-10-01 22:46:28

WonderWoofy

I had never heard of this device until I read this post.  It looks pretty neat.  Maybe you should actually install said "canned distro" simply to figure out how they have it working, and then proceed from there.

#4 2012-10-01 23:01:03

chisleu

WonderWoofy wrote:

I had never heard of this device until I read this post.  It looks pretty neat.  Maybe you should actually install said "canned distro" simply to figure out how they have it working, and then proceed from there.

Not trash talking. I ran slackware forever, and ubuntu for a short while. I just really dig pacman and arch.

I found this!!

http://blog.invokk.net/2011/12/running- … iguration/

My second screen was probably working perfectly by default... You have to hit the keyboard button on the left hinge or otherwise enable the backlight! lol smile

I found this site:

I haven't got the 2nd touchscreen working correctly yet, but the first is working perfectly and both displays work!! This is a killer day! smile

#5 2012-10-02 03:32:10

chisleu

I have finally gotten everything working well except for 1 major issue.

I can drag my finger around on both screens and the mouse follows it perfectly, highlighting, selection, whatever.

After I release my finger, the mouse jumps to a different place on the screen.

Anyone have any idea? I saw a bug at the end of the ArchWiki on Touchscreens, but the patch linked to does not apply to the current xorg source when I tried to use abs to build a custom xorg.

#6 2012-10-04 05:57:09

chisleu

It is a known xorg server bug. I can't begin to understand the xorg server code. I don't think it will work without reverting to a very old version of xorg, and I'm not interested in that. I'm sure someone will get around to fixing it. At least I can use both of my screens for now.

#7 2013-05-10 13:30:03

chisleu

Just wanted to update the thread.

Xorg as of this week has fixed the translation problem for mouse button up events. Now the Iconia 6120 touchscreen works fine.

Unfortunately, I can't get gnome3.8 or kde to work, but that's for another thread...

Board footer