You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-03 20:27:03

arvind

Stuttering audio and video

I just reinstalled Arch on my laptop and now I experience a problem that I didn't have before: if I play any movie (using SMPlayer) or audio-file (with Audacious), the output stutters every (approx) 40-60 seconds, sometimes really short, sometimes for about half a second. It just freezes (not my computer, just the sound or the video) and then resumes. It's really annoying, and I don't know where to begin to figure out what's wrong. I didn't have this before, so it must be something on the clean installation that is misconfigured, I guess. Does anyone have any ideas?

It's an MSI laptop, with Pentium i3 processor, 4GB of memory and plenty of it's available, intel i915 graphics card. Let me know if you need more info, any help appreciated!

#2 2012-10-03 22:54:07

brebs

Re: Stuttering audio and video

In the kernel, disable CONFIG_COMPACTION and enable CONFIG_SCHED_MC. Otherwise, I believe those can cause jerkiness.

#3 2012-10-04 17:33:43

arvind

Re: Stuttering audio and video

Thanks, I will try that. But I never had to recompile my kernel before, and it sounds like a pretty drastic measure just to play a music-file, right? If anyone has another idea, please let me know!

Board footer