You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-06 13:10:45

brain0
Developer

brain0's unofficial arch repo

In case anyone is interested, I created the brain0 repo, it currently contains following packages (PKGBUILDs available via AUR):

cryptsetup-luks: cryptsetup replacement that supports luks
cups-pdf: a pdf printer for cups
davfs2: mounting webdav shares
gcc2: legacy gcc 2.95.3 version
gvpe: GNU virtual private ethernet
licq-be: bleeding edge licq version including gpgme and kde-gui
siefs: mounting siemens mobile phones' flexmem
fuse: This is not the fuse PKGBUILD from AUR! It builds the kernel module at install time so you only need to reinstall fuse after kernel rebuild, not rebuild the whole package

the repo is at

[brain0]
Server = http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thomas.baechler/arch/brain0/os/i686

I hope anyone finds this useful. If the packages make any problems, feel free to contact me via IRC.

#2 2005-10-06 13:26:46

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: brain0's unofficial arch repo

Bleurgh!  Building modules at install time is nasty!  Unless that is the only way you can do it smile

#3 2005-10-06 14:00:01

brain0
Developer

well, you may be right, but everyone uses a different kernel and this way would have to build a separate package for every kernel. Hopefully this issue will be solved soon when fuse module is merged into vanilla kernel.

#4 2005-10-06 14:05:42

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Hmm - maybe.  The way "we" currently do it is that any binary pkg is built against the stock kernel so that it is available to the widest audience.  The theory goes that most people running a non-stock kernel will have enough skill in Arch to rebuild their own modules.  ideally we ant people to do that you see - it increases everybodies skill level, which is only a good thing smile

#5 2005-10-06 14:07:34

nightfrost

dibblethewrecker wrote:

Building modules at install time is nasty!

Just out of curiosity. Why is it nasty?

#6 2005-10-06 14:43:44

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Well, it's just cheating really.  Using an install script to add and remove files defeats the point of pacman - anything that can be built at install time can normally be built in to pkg just as easily.  If you are happy to agree that a PKGBUILD is an Arch Liux standrad then ideally we want to install all software using that standard in a manner that is clear and concise.  Installing on the fly is also pretty goddamn error prone - there are many eventualities which people may not take the time to consider.  The install script can't check for file conflicts and if the script svery quiet you mightnot even know that it is overwriting stuff in your fs - files which it will later remove using the same script resulting in files "missing" from your system which pacman thinks should be there.

#7 2005-10-06 14:53:36

nightfrost

Hmm.. alright. That makes sense to me. For the sake of ease, one could actually run makepkg -cif on the PKGBUILD, I guess...

#8 2005-10-06 15:57:30

brain0
Developer

dibblethewrecker wrote:

Well, it's just cheating really.  Using an install script to add and remove files defeats the point of pacman - anything that can be built at install time can normally be built in to pkg just as easily.

So what about the nvidia package? It is an official arch package and does not only install the kernel module at runtime (which I think is ok), but also the driver itself (which is really ewwwwww).

#9 2005-10-06 16:41:19

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Indeed - the only pkg that does that as fas as I know.  I beleive it is the only way to even remotely approach pkging the driver - the only explanation I can think of smile

Board footer