You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-04 20:59:25

matteorr

[Solved] Booting to KDE login screen

Let me start off by saying, since I'm posting in Newbie Corner, I'm obviously a complete newb when it comes to Arch.

I just followed the beginners guide to install.  When it comes to configuring KDE to come up to its login screen at boot, the documentation is either lacking or not clear enough for me to comprehend.

I tried following the documentation that explains how to start X at boot, but it redirects to a page that shows how to start X at login (to a virtual terminal).  It has a related topic on how to automatically login to a virtual terminal at boot, so I assumed this was the next step I was missing.  However, after following those directions it takes me directly to my KDE desktop without prompting for a password.  Then I noticed another direction on that same wiki page on how to make it prompt for password, but it's the terminal password prompt, not the KDE login screen.

After searching, I found an old forum post that says to see the KDE section of the beginners guide, but it's a broken link (anchor).

Any tips?

Last edited by matteorr (2012-10-05 12:09:48)

#2 2012-10-04 21:01:08

SS4

Re: [Solved] Booting to KDE login screen

If you're using systemctl then enable the KDM service

# systemctl enable kdm.service

Rauchen verboten

#3 2012-10-04 21:02:50

karol
Archivist

If you're not using systemd, simply edit /etc/inittab https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Di … tab_method

#4 2012-10-04 21:04:34

matteorr

How do I tell if I'm using systemd or not?

#5 2012-10-04 21:10:30

karol
Archivist

matteorr wrote:

How do I tell if I'm using systemd or not?

I think that you're not using systemd as it's not the default for Arch yet, so you'd have to set it yourself (and you would surely remember that).
You can try running the command SS4 posted. If you get an error, try the inittab method ;P

#6 2012-10-04 21:15:44

matteorr

I ran the systemd command, no errors but it still took me to the terminal login prompt when I rebooted.  I then changed /etc/inittab accordingly, with the same results.  Ideas?

#7 2012-10-04 21:27:24

ewaller
Administrator

If the command ps -ef | grep journal | grep -v grep
returns nothing, you are not running systemd.  BTW, you do not run systemd from the command line.  It runs at boot time

if that command returns nothing, read this article

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2012-10-04 21:41:25

matteorr

Bah, systemctl is what I meant.

I ran the ps command you sent, and nothing returned.  So, I then looked back at the article you linked to.  I have already followed the directions under the "Modify default display manager"->"KDM" section.  Same results.

I then saw the section on "Auto switch to tty7" and did what it said.  Same results.

I then looked under the troubleshooting section.  I don't have a xdm or gdm log file at the location, but I followed the steps to add it to my DAEMONS array anyway.  Same results.

Is there some other section in that document that I should try next?

----

EDIT: I just saw the section on modifying the default run-level.  I followed those instructions and have success.  IOW, reading comprehension fail.  Thanks for your help!!

Last edited by matteorr (2012-10-04 21:45:06)

#9 2012-10-04 22:17:59

ewaller
Administrator

Great smile   If it is solved, then please edit your first post and add [solved] to the beginning of the thread title.  Thanks.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer